Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

2 minutes ago, jjwxman said:

In RAH’s video update put out around 12:30pm on YouTube they told folks not to change their weekend plans, just keep aware of latest forecasts. :thumbsdown:

I, for the first time ever, is hoping for no snow for NC. Why you ask? My wife and I are heading to Asheville Sunday for the Biltmore Candlelight Christmas. I have non-refundable hotel rooms as well as the tickets. I hate driving in snow.

1 minute ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

At 144 850s are below 0 in immediate CAD areas. At least on the maps I see. 

CAD areas for the W piedmont & foothills are within a degree of 0 at most.  It's minor details at this point.  Overall setup is holding.  CAD high in place.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

CAD areas for the W piedmont & foothills are within a degree of 0 at most.  It's minor details at this point.  Overall setup is holding.  CAD high in place.

Yeah. Too early to be worried about a degree or two. We are usually sweating that 6 hours before onset.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Temps are terrible.. 850s dont support snow except for mostly mountains of NW NC and SW VA.

I agree. Areas in the Mountains like Boone are going to get pounded. Foothills and points eastward not so much. Still too early in the season for big winter storms for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yotaman said:

I agree. Areas in the Mountains like Boone are going to get pounded. Foothills and points eastward not so much. Still too early in the season for big winter storms for us.

While you may be right, it's also way too early to make bold statements like that. It was only last year that the Atlanta burbs got over a foot, around the same time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryan1234 said:

While you may be right, it's also way too early to make bold statements like that. It was only last year that the Atlanta burbs got over a foot, around the same time. 

Less than a 50% chance of less than one inch woke up too 9 inches it takes alot to go right but the overall setup is definitely there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yotaman said:

I, for the first time ever, is hoping for no snow for NC. Why you ask? My wife and I are heading to Asheville Sunday for the Biltmore Candlelight Christmas. I have non-refundable hotel rooms as well as the tickets. I hate driving in snow.

Hamilton is in Greenville beginning tomorrow night. I am sure the Peace Center and the folks holding those precious tickets are hoping for no snow. 

• Haha 1

Ehhh... I don't really know if this issue is ever going to go away. The surface highs are nice, but the air mass we're inheriting is a rotting, modifying arctic air mass from earlier in the week. This air mass is going to be a pool of -3 to +3 C temps at 850, and I don't really know a mechanism that's going to change that.  As of now, models have for the most part graced us with adequate temperatures, but this is a situation that might be somewhat more sensitive to mishandling of mid level temps than others. The entrenched cold air is never the thing that "wowed" us with this system, so far it's the qpf.

• Like 4