Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

34 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Agree with this, the places that have won with previous storms will likely win again. This is just such a beefy, large storm that the jackpot area could be 14-20 inches instead of 10-14 inches like our last couple of miller As. There was a storm in late January 2009 that this storm kind of reminds me of, don't know if the telecommunications/setup was the same but I remember that storm as another rumbling, west to east long duration event. I stayed in a suburb of Winston Salem with family friends and got a great storm. 

I would though, not hang my hat on the fact that this CAD high will be there. The 00z GFS, while an outlier, was also completely plausible, with an arctic trough/front creating warm air advection ahead of it in the NE and completely sabotaging the cold air supply. 

I would never hang my hat on anything the GFS depicts, however the euro at this range is generally pretty good with overall pattern recognition.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z CMC is a hardcore winter storm parts of west-central NC up into VA....but it still has the Miller Bish look of running a low toward northern GA then transfer to the coast

I'm liking what I'm seeing but ....

48 HR Rule - NEVER trust ANY model showing snow in the SE past 48 hours

• Like 3

It isn't a great run but it could be worse. As everyone said, don't get lost in a single op run. I am definitely thinking it will be more of a mixed-p event for most at this stage rather than a 12-24 inch blockbuster. I think if it comes down to riding the DGEX when all is said and done then it is best to head over to the sanitarium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, eyewall said:

It isn't a great run but it could be worse. As everyone said, don't get lost in a single op run. I am definitely thinking it will be more of a mixed-p event for most at this stage rather than a 12-24 inch blockbuster. I think if it comes down to riding the DGEX when all is said and done then it is best to head over to the sanitarium.

We'll know it's a stock SE winter storm once you break out the GFS fail boat gif...welcome back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I would never hang my hat on anything the GFS depicts, however the euro at this range is generally pretty good with overall pattern recognition.

In all honesty with this being a ss wave we shouldn't read too much into the gfs. This should be the year the euro gets back on top.

11 minutes ago, Cheers for Western Ears said:

Even though the HP is somewhat weaker with this run of the GFS, it is a good sign that the HP is hanging back some and lower correct? I believe that is what is causing the run to be more suppressed compared to the 6z?

No, you want to see a healthy HP over the NE to funnel in cold, dry air ahead of and during the storm.

10 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We only use cmc for thermal profiles, and CAD strength!

It's frustrating that it keeps hanging on to the further north track of the low...i want to see it's profiles with the further south low track. 

As usual a lot of conflicting signs...the gfs has a decent low track but it's lack of high pressure over the mid atlantic results in little in the way of cad/caa. The canadian has a much better high but terrible low track and the end result is the same. 

Short of this low getting totally squashed, it seems like nc is likely to get something rather significant.....whether it's snow or ice. The same can't be said though for ne ga/upstate...especially ne ga. Biggest concern for areas south of nc is high pressure strength/not building in time and lack of any low dewpoints which means CAA will have to do the trick.....which we all know doesn't  often work out.  Really want to see that high building into the mid atlantic faster....certainly a lot more than the gfs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1