Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10, 2018 Winter Storm

Orangeburgwx

Just now, griteater said:

500mb looked good and normal thru 141 on the GFS, then it pulls in the northern stream from the NE trough at the end....weird run, no need to sweat that one

Upper air pattern way more important that what the models paint at the surface. If we're similar at 500mb maybe stray away from the cliff for now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, griteater said:

GFS is on the suppressed side but it has no interest in showing cold temps until late in the storm...strange model handling or we are just screwed

Go with the latter! This week just got a lot more productive at work! Won’t have to watch this dumpster fire anymore!! Somebody post the clown maps! :(

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

UKMet at 144 has the low in Baton Rouge with the high on the Mid Atlantic coast.  The UKMet is opposite of the GFS - it has the sfc high out ahead of our storm (a bit too far out ahead)...but UKMet looks like it's going to go Miller B if I had to guess....looks like it would be a big phasing Miller B

Nothing good in the runs tonight! The ensembles will save us! :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m sorry but for me I don’t buy the 0z gfs whatsoever. It is still doing something odd with the low pressure as it’s around the SC coast. It still has the tendency to want to get the low to accelerate rapidly toward the blob of convection out in the Atlantic. Idk if I buy the sharp cutoff of precip the way it is portraying it as well. I am curious to see if the FV3 follows the Ukie/CMC suite tonight with the turn back toward miller b scenario. Very fascinating to track this storm at this juncture. 

• Like 1

For those that have beads of sweat forming on your foreheads, because of the 0Z runs, please remember to take a look at all the pieces on the table AND take into account the naunces of the models at this RANGE. For example, if you look at Vapor, you can see the Split flow developing. Also, the GFS ALWAYS loses this storm at some point. Besides...it is only ONE run. Lets stay away from the cliff and see how future runs progress from here...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

FV3 looks similar to 18z at 500mb out to 120

Southern Vort stronger. Taller ridge in pna region but nothing way different yet

Concur with this. HP over the Midwest is situated a little further north and west compared to 18z is the only negligible difference I see thus far. 

2 minutes ago, JoshM said:

FV3 said "WAIT GUYS, I STILL HAVE THE SNOW!"

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.png

FV3 is a thing of beauty and has been for multiple model runs now. It as well has gone more toward the miller b scenario. Has the primary die in northern AL with secondary off SC coast and then go N/NE from there.