• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

NAM has a dual-low scenario now with the late week system and this is something several ens members had been hinting at. Takes first low off the GA Coast then NNE just West of Philly while a second low develops over GA. You can see at 500mb how there is energy just pouring into the trof between 72 and 84 hours+

What a difference in the evolution of this over the past few days:

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_50.png

namconus_z500_vort_eus_53.png

Mighty windy night which kept temps up only a low of 33.0 in East Nantmeal - have not fallen below freezing since the 13th - Average highs so far this month are 1.6 below normal while nighttime lows are 1.7 above normal for a overall departure of +0.1 above average. We will fall below freezing this evening and may have our 1st below normal day today in the last 6 days.

GEFS looks great in the LR, as long as the Aleutian low retrogrades and doesn't drop down a trough in the west. EPS is holding the energy too long in the SW here, it doesn't make sense at all. Funny though with how poor the pattern looks up until the 1st, we still have a few chances to score something. I think this weekend definitely bares watching especially for areas N and W. 6Z GFS is really close to a secondary popping in a very nice location for this area. And with possible blocking in place, this could be one that trends in the right direction. Even if it's rain, this has the possibility to be a disruptive storm. 2-3" of rain on top of what we've had this year, could make for widespread flooding. I'm torn on whether we should root for it to cut though. Very very strong analogs in nino years with a late december torch period...

15 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

A significant rainfall is on the way for Thursday night/Friday. Flood Watch is effect here from Thursday evening thru Friday evening for 1-3" of rain with locally higher amounts.

Still looks good for at least that much though every model besides the NAM has shifted the axis of heaviest rain from SE PA to E NJ into SNE. Think the best flooding potential is going to be there though with all time record PWATS in place for met winter, anything is still on the table. I think we'll see totals increase as we get closer. This is a pretty highly anomalous event.

Going back and reading the threads from the March Madness snowstorms last year today...man that was a fun stretch of winter weather especially for a Nina. If we can get a similar stretch except in met winter this year, it would be historic.  I am liking the huge moisture train evident this winter, obviously it has yet to pay dividends but if we can get the NAO to cooperate, we still have the potential for a very special period. Ensembles are still everywhere in regards to the pattern after the 1st. Individual members seem more helpful than the mean right now as there are really 2 distinct camps. One with a -NAO/-AO building in and locking in, the other just a brief period of blocking before jumping right back to positive leading to more of the same as december unless we get lucky. PNA looks to dip neutral but then looks to head positive for the foreseeable future which is a good sign. If we can get the atlantic on board in the next week or 2, we'll be in business. With the SSWE, all bets are off for the end of the month right now into mid january right now. All depends where the cold is displaced. There's a chance it is dumped into europe though which would mean January is would be a wash...

Hello! Do any of you know where I can find the snow records for the philly/new Jersey area? Just curiously comparing apples to apples here....There has been a lot of talk about the active moisture train we've had up and down the MA this year...What has baffled me is why the wettest years we have down here in Baltimore...have not been followed by above average snowfall! So, I'm looking for data from the winters that followed 1889, 1979, 1996, and 2003. Down here, the winters that followed were kinda mediocre...so I'm wondering if it was the same up here! (Needless to say this worries me for all of us!)

79-80 was an average winter, the rest were crap at least in the 95 area... I didn't look at the snow data for ABE. Not sure it's that 1:1 though of a correlation. None of those are good fits with ENSO. Also, there's a clear trend towards more precipitation in general for the MA/NE likely due to climate change. For here, 3 of the top 5 wettest years were have came after 2010. There's a clear trend in increase of precipitation in certain areas. More evidence of that coming this weekend, with record setting PWATS for met winter likely in place. Excessively wet years are becoming less of an anomaly and more of a norm...

BTW jcweather.com is an amazing source for weather history in the philly area.

11 minutes ago, RedSky said:

12Z ECM gives this region 1-3" snow south to north Christmas night. Unfortunately it's still the only model showing it.

Ukie and Icon have a wave on the 24th that would be light snow for most. CMC has something on the 25th but it takes a poor track and would likely be rain. GFS is really the only model with nothing. Several GEFS members have a few inches in that period though. Also promising is roughly half have some measurable snow in the next 10 days. Something to watch at least... 

14 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Ukie and Icon have a wave on the 24th that would be light snow for most. CMC has something on the 25th but it takes a poor track and would likely be rain. GFS is really the only model with nothing. Several GEFS members have a few inches in that period though. Also promising is roughly half have some measurable snow in the next 10 days. Something to watch at least... 

I made a post in the Mid Atl forum a few days ago about how it's funny when most people "punt the rest of December" we have seen the most threats showing up but when an epic pattern shows up we cant buy a snow shower lol. I know it's a different location but still. This period has been on my radar for at least 10 days now. Doesnt mean it will produce but yeah something to watch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I made a post in the Mid Atl forum a few days ago about how it's funny when most people "punt the rest of December" we have seen the most threats showing up but when an epic pattern shows up we cant buy a snow shower lol. I know it's a different location but still. This period has been on my radar for at least 10 days now. Doesnt mean it will produce but yeah something to watch.

Yeah I think with the parade of juicy synoptic systems we've seen the last few months, folks are expecting one of those to be a snow threat so I understand the frustration. We've had a wet month with temps at around normal but nothing to show for it. The next 10 days doesn't have a MECS threat imo but we could very easily score 1-2" once or twice. It isn't like it's an all out torch pattern where we're making tee times christmas day..

• Like 1

I am absolutely amazed there is little to no discussion on the PWAT values for Fridays rains in this forum and the record breaking temps with thunderstorm watches/warnings and with flood warnings galore. This is biblical in my textbook in my 30 years of weather for this area. The groundwater  level has never been seen this high in the LV and this is coming from Lehigh County Authority who has observation wells all over Lehigh County for the last 50+ years.  Four inches of rain from this upcoming event will be devastating in some areas. Historic flooding is anticipated and MT Holly backs it up with how early they issued the flood watches. To hell with talking about a one inch snow for Christmas- for many their Christmas will be cleaning up the flood damage, especially from flooded basements. I am totally bewildered why  the media is only given a measly mention.  I guess if was a hurricane like Hurricane Irene, it would be front page. Boy  will everyone be surprised on Saturday morning and the damage will be extensive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

I am absolutely amazed there is little to no discussion on the PWAT values for Fridays rains in this forum and the record breaking temps with thunderstorm watches/warnings and with flood warnings galore. This is biblical in my textbook in my 30 years of weather for this area. The groundwater  level has never been seen this high in the LV and this is coming from Lehigh County Authority who has observation wells all over Lehigh County for the last 50+ years.  Four inches of rain from this upcoming event will be devastating in some areas. Historic flooding is anticipated and MT Holly backs it up with how early they issued the flood watches. To hell with talking about a one inch snow for Christmas- for many their Christmas will be cleaning up the flood damage, especially from flooded basements. I am totally bewildered why  the media is only given a measly mention.  I guess if was a hurricane like Hurricane Irene, it would be front page. Boy  will everyone be surprised on Saturday morning and the damage will be extensive.

Not everywhere is going to get 4", but some localized areas likely will with the convective thunderstorm potential. The 3k NAM shows the localized nature. Parts of Lancaster/Berks get only 0.5-1" of rain yet Carbon/Monroe counties get 3-4". How much rain one receives will be highly determined on the localized training thunderstorm potential.

nam3km_apcpn_neus_20.png

23 minutes ago, Newman said:

Not everywhere is going to get 4", but some localized areas likely will with the convective thunderstorm potential. The 3k NAM shows the localized nature. Parts of Lancaster/Berks get only 0.5-1" of rain yet Carbon/Monroe counties get 3-4". How much rain one receives will be highly determined on the localized training thunderstorm potential.

nam3km_apcpn_neus_20.png

Hmm...will old JB rule of thumb idea about snow within 10 days of thunder in the winter come into play??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1