Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Saw three Kelvin Helmholtz clouds east of 95 this morning.  Pretty awesome!!

A whole row of those are pretty cool. :thumbsup:

There have been a ton of accidents reported this morning with that light precip.  The roads have been chilled to below freezing so it has been an ice rink on them.  One of my sisters just texted that there was a 20-car pile-up on 309 near where she is in Wyndmoor (probably in the vicinity of the Paper Mill Rd or Flourtown exits) and they had to close it.  Anyone going out in the SE Montco/NW Philly area please be careful!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

dusting overnight....caused a lot of issues this morning though.. big accident on route 13 due to black ice. New NAM still looks good for 1-2" tomorrow morning, possibly 3 inches in the chester co region.

The one storm I dont really want as I'm trying to rack up 60-70 hrs this week to help pay for skiing.  Bring it on, Monday.

26 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

I saw a stratus undulatus yesterday on rt 29. I tried to get a picture haven't checked how it came out. 

I took a pic, it's a bit blurry bc my phone camera is damaged but you can make them out.  I'll try to post it later when I can compress it.  

I really think there should be much more discussion on the potential overrunning event  this upcoming Friday. This has the potential for a real nice thumping of snow  greater than  6 inches for most areas in SE PA. My 40 years of weather experience is saying that this arctic weather  pattern locked in this week before it crashes by the end of next weekend will give us one last hurrah.  The Lehigh Valley we could see almost 16 inches of snow on the ground by next Saturday. if not more.  The real cold air on Wednesday morning from the TN Valley High will be replaced by even a colder High over NY by late Wednesday evening. This fresh High pressure sets up  another perfect overrunning scenario like this storm but one better- significant arctic cold air is now in place rather than modified Pac air like we have now. Lets see what happens but I think next Friday is a storm where everyone gets a good amount of snow. Any snow that does fall, will fall on frozen surfaces too. Retreating air masses allow for big storms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Very nice! So no trip to CT today, that's good.

Nope, but now I hope they do send me up.  Seeing how much they got!  

Bear Creek is nice and soft today, always nice to pop up here when you dont have time for a full day anywhere else.  They reported 8", looks about right accounting for a lot of compaction.