• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Was on the fence and trying my damnedest to not get sucked into the LR hype but was actually waiting on the CFS weeklies to seal the deal and they didnt disappoint. Add the GEFS/GEPS consistency to the mix and the EPS getting there past day 9 as well as just about every other index and teleconnection known to science  and I'm all chips in on the back stretch of winter as we move ahead this month. There really is no denying now where we are headed. Not looking to get a ticket on the train or what not ... I can travel alongside in my snowmobile. Not a question of if it will snow but rather when, how much, and how many more times. Fasten the seatbelts....we are going on a ride we havent been on in a long time.

This 00z GFS run is giving me deja vu of last night.  Looks like the inland low over the great lakes is stronger this run.  Not sure what factors are influencing that, but that appears to lessen our timeframe of snow prior to the mix/rain changeover.  It's only rendered to hour 120 as of now.

Well I'll be damned....for those actually following along the Sunday night into Monday thing is slowly starting to look like it may be worth more than just a raised eyebrow. Most guidance outside of the GFS (what is this model good for anymore???) has been trending towards less suppression ie ticks North and more moisture. Looking like a nice light event for part of the region now 1-3"/2-4" type deal.

9 hours ago, RedSky said:

... the unicorn is dead

Have u seen the latest GEFS and EPS?Could be twin unicorns with 2 blocks teaming up to form a ridge bridge.

I honestly have no doubt that the second half of this month will be cold and stormy. With the looks up top we *should* have several snow chances. As always you cant shovel potential but I much rather have a pattern with legit potential and tracking opportunities over an early spring with a raging se ridge -PNA and no HL blocking. These progs going forward have plenty of support including important MJO backing and tropical forcing propogation. 

18 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

06z keeps your unicorn dream well alive with a strong Miller b off the coast of Jersey. 

That's a nice look late week but to be completely honest the best look (the unicorn) is after that storm. That storm is the catalyst to get our blocking setup at HL. Not quite certain how this week coming will play out as far as the boundary and real snowfall potential but bigger picture all the players are lining up for once for a much more favorable look mid month thru early March.

Latest Wxsim with 6z data has a mainly sleet fest starting as snow on Monday evening with heavy sleet falling from around 1130pm thru 10am Tuesday AM with total snow accumulation of 3" to 5" before changing to ZR with 2.35" of w.e. falling before temps rise above freezing by 4pm on Tuesday PM. Then rain thru about 8pm....this will of course change with the 12z data

GFS stronger with the high to our north through 84 hours/ weaker further south with the plains low...this looks like it will be another nice 3-6" hit to sleet to light rain. Check out the bend in the isobars. Huge CAD signature even though the temps may not do it this run. Overall it looks like a worse outcome however, the trends were in our favor. GFS clearly not keyed in on the CAD for that set up and i predict it won't start keying on it until under 72 hours in. I think we are in a good spot and the trends are favoring us at the moment.