Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

28 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Right? How we can put faith in anything this year is beyond me whether good, bad, or indifferent. Purely speculation. I personally dont ever recall anything so flip floppy. It was LR struggles for a while then MR now it's the short range. I can only assume the current SSW is what is causing this? I had read this strat warming is entering unchartered territory and historic levels of warming given the time of season. Doing a heck of a number on the MJO as well. Wild stuff.

Lots going on and the models will struggle mightily with individual events...that said nothing has changed my thinking on our delayed but not denied below normal temps and AN snow coming to a town near you from Mid-Jan thru February....could it be the winter of yore so many are yearning for on this forum?? Of course we are already in the winter of yore as we are still on a path to record the snowiest decade in our history - when it gets back to normal snow years in this area folks are gonna be mighty depressed!

1 hour ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Lots going on and the models will struggle mightily with individual events...that said nothing has changed my thinking on our delayed but not denied below normal temps and AN snow coming to a town near you from Mid-Jan thru February....could it be the winter of yore so many are yearning for on this forum?? Of course we are already in the winter of yore as we are still on a path to record the snowiest decade in our history - when it gets back to normal snow years in this area folks are gonna be mighty depressed!

All but two winters in each of the 70's,  80's and 90's= :cliff:

Millennials have no clue of the horror

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

I'll have you know that there were three school years where we didn't have any snow days at all. ...Penn State Berks once had a 30" blizzard a few years ago... and school was back in session the next day! What a ripoff!!

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

I cut my snow teeth in the early to mid 60's, so the 70's were rough until 77-78. Yes 76-77 was real cold from Thanksgiving to mid February (ice breakers up the Delaware cold), but late January and February of 78 was the return of the bona fide Nor'easter after a painful drought. Like manna from heaven!

5 hours ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

This is the new normal. Welcome to climate change...

23 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Well, chilly/cold rain moving in from the West in a bit.

In years past I wanted cold regardless of rain/snow.....screw that, glad tomorrow will be mild.

I won't mind either, been wearing a jacket outside since sometime in October with the exception of a few days. I can handle 50's for a day or two.

I guess our next "threat" is going to be around Jan 3rd-4th. Once the New Years rainstorm comes through, it'll leave cold air in it's wake and drop a boundary along the coast where a wave will likely form along it. Anafrontal systems typically favor coastal areas but we'll see how things trend as we get closer.

41 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I won't mind either, been wearing a jacket outside since sometime in October with the exception of a few days. I can handle 50's for a day or two.

For me, probably my age, but damn, cold,damp rainy days suck any more for my body and nothing to show for it (snow)...lol.

Can the weather Gods throw us a bone/hope? Real hope, not 384hr hope... 

*Yeah, I know banter...

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

QT in the house! Thanks I was just going to look.

Eta, we need someone from Quakertown since RedSky is over in NJ chasing the Monmouth County pot of gold.

I'll look for it near the outhouse because that is where i will be again tomorrow as the septic field flood resumes

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The near three day winter storm brought to you by the new HIV3 GFS, a fun weather fantasy extravaganza like none I have ever seen lol. Starts at 276

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=fv3p&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2018122800&fh=276

Cool - a Miller B moving south along the MA coast, lol. Why not...it would satisfy our hunger for some blocking, yeah.

I know Mt. Holly was calling for something like 1" - 2" (locally higher in spots) in the CWA but as of 9 am, I was already up to 0.90" here in NW Philly, and it hasn't been at excessive rates either.  If it goes like this all day, I may end up near that higher end, although in this setup, I definitely won't rule out any dryslotting reducing the amounts.

Current temp is 50 w/0.92" of light - moderate rain.

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

As of 11 am, Philadelphia had picked up 1.13" rain. That brings 2018's total precipitation to 60.31". 2018 is only the second year on record with 60.00" or more precipitation. The record annual amount is 64.33", which was set in 2011. Records go back to 1872.

2011 was also the year of Hurricane Irene, which came through in August, after we had already had July as the wettest on record.  And I believe that was a La Nina year.

I am currently up to 1.28" here in NW Philly and temp is 57 with moderate rain.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

As of 11 am, Philadelphia had picked up 1.13" rain. That brings 2018's total precipitation to 60.31". 2018 is only the second year on record with 60.00" or more precipitation. The record annual amount is 64.33", which was set in 2011. Records go back to 1872.

I have this very unsettling feeling that we are going to pay for all this wet weather in the form of cold and dry for weeks then a damp cool spring just to give us all a final kick while we're down. You just know it's coming. All this talk of significant pattern change....what would be more polar opposite of the (relatively) mild and wet that we have been locked into for 6 weeks?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I have this very unsettling feeling that we are going to pay for all this wet weather in the form of cold and dry for weeks then a damp cool spring just to give us all a final kick while we're down. You just know it's coming. All this talk of significant pattern change....what would be more polar opposite of the (relatively) mild and wet that we have been locked into for 6 weeks?

Let's hope that doesn't prove to be the case.