Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 1 Severe Weather

IllinoisWedges

56 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

Looks like their was one that was briefly on the ground near Maroa at 630 according to ILX those pics I posted on Saturday night were around the 630-635 timeframe....here was the radar shot I got just before it occurred at 627 IMG_2967.jpgIMG_2980.jpg

Had a tiny (like 2 pixel) couplet for a scan or two. I wrote it off as noise. Let me see if I have the screengrab 

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

I would say both are the case in this instance.

Probably right.  I checked my Grazulis tornado bible for 12/18-19/1957 out of curiosity (the ratings in there tend to be more conservative when they differ from the official ratings) and he has 14 tornadoes as F2+, so less but still a huge number for a state like Illinois in December.  

Found it on archive mode. Pretty much went right over a buddy’s house out there in the farmland. 
5FE643C9-EA51-4AE7-88DF-B18176336CBA.thumb.png.517112973da3a4e66bb4a6db1d752953.png

Hopefully their was no damage I know on the other side of the road on 51 it’s nothing but windmills looks like it barely missed them

Edit:Sorry for the format of my previous post not sure why it came out like that on Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Probably right.  I checked my Grazulis tornado bible for 12/18-19/1957 out of curiosity (the ratings in there tend to be more conservative when they differ from the official ratings) and he has 14 tornadoes as F2+, so less but still a huge number for a state like Illinois in December.  

Wait, you have a copy of the good book? Did you hear he is issuing a new updated copy in a couple of years, I am so buying one!

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Damn, you have one?  I've been looking for one for forever

47 minutes ago, yoda said:

Damn, you have one?  I've been looking for one for forever

I got it off Amazon several years ago.  It was a new copy in perfect condition.  The price was worth it, all things considered... don't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure I got it for less than $150.  

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I got it off Amazon several years ago.  It was a new copy in perfect condition.  The price was worth it, all things considered... don't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure I got it for less than $150.  

I checked Amazon and now it ranges from about $200 to $3000.  Yikes.

I haven't seen it specifically mentioned in this thread yet - the Taylorville tornado has been bumped up to EF3 with a 12.7-mile path. Nothing to sneeze at in any season!

Tornado #7 - Taylorville
CHRISTIAN COUNTY

Date 12/1/2018
Time (Local) 5:01 pm - 5:25 CST
EF Rating EF-3
Est. Peak Winds 155 mph
Path Length 12.7 miles
Max Width 1/2 mile
Injuries/Deaths 22/0

Summary:

Information from emergency management indicated 34 homes severely damaged/destroyed, 66 homes with major damage, and 406 homes damaged but inhabitable.

NWS EF-Scale ratings in the southside of Taylorville were EF-3 with estimated wind at 155 mph with a maximum width of 1/2 mile.

40 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Taylorville had a 41 minute lead time between warning and the tornado hitting. That’s incredible and most certainly saved lives. Real nice work by the NWS 

NWS Lincoln as well as spotters did a phenomenal job Saturday. Nearly every tornado report has verified and no loss of life

7 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I haven't seen it specifically mentioned in this thread yet - the Taylorville tornado has been bumped up to EF3 with a 12.7-mile path. Nothing to sneeze at in any season!

Posted on previous page but looks like they extended the path length a bit.

50 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

was this your pic or was it posted by ILX? I was on the south side of Maroa when it happened just before you get to Caseys gas station

It’s my pic from a 15 second video I shot. Time stamp of video 6:35. Official time was 6:31-6:33

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

Nice pic considering it was night time!...how far was this away from the Casey’s gas station up there when you got this shot?

.Thanks. was actually a screen grab from an iphone video. my gps tracker put me about 3 miles wsw from maroa. 

On a side note, I wrote a program that logs all my gps points on a 1 second interval. Pretty handy for post analysis. 

3 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

• Like 1