• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 1 Severe Weather

IllinoisWedges

Can't remember exactly when but there was a shot like that a few years ago or so (also in IL).  Would be even cooler to see it roll over a field that is completely snow covered.
That Union Pacific freight train cam caught the January 7, 2008 twister near Harvard, IL with snow on the ground as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

That probably wouldn't happen. Would feel as if the lowered temperatures from the melting snow cover would make the immediate ground layer stable. Especially with complete snow cover moreso than just patches.

It's hard to pull off for sure.  Need such perfect timing with the melting snow.  The depth could matter too... like if the snowcover is rapidly melting down to an inch or two, I think that may have less impact on the near surface layer compared to still having several inches on the ground.

Just now, Stebo said:

Absolutely classic. This event is far exceeding my expectation for today.

Worst part is, I would have chased it and my forecast was nearly perfect. So I would've seen these tornadoes. Alas I had other obligations so there was no chasing today even though I would've liked to.

Just now, hlcater said:

Worst part is, I would have chased it and my forecast was nearly perfect. So I would've seen these tornadoes. Alas I had other obligations so there was no chasing today even though I would've liked to.

I actually thought about it too but I had a dentist appt that I cancelled 3 times already....

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

That taylorville storm is going to go right into town and the next thing on the line is Decatur. Not a good direction to track right up 57.

My folks are in Decatur and I just have them a heads up. Big Christmas parade in downtown decatur scheduled to start at 1730. 

PDS warning language on that Taylorville cell