Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,449
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    wagsphoto
    Newest Member
    wagsphoto
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
wxmanmitch

NNE Winter Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Winter thread...does this go to Memorial Day lol

dodged flooding pretty well

I was thinking May 1st for the Spring/Summer thread being as there was a light dusting of snow on my grill cover last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Winter thread...does this go to Memorial Day lol

dodged flooding pretty well

Two seasons, warm and cold.  Had several hours of light snow at home last evening so doesn't feel like it's completely past winter.

May 1st to October 1st is probably good for warm season thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Wondered why my bird feeder was empty. Wasn't knocked over, still standing, but not a seed left after being totally full. I guess bad time of year to leave bird feeders out over night. 

https://video.nest.com/clip/15d2d9016002408c8726087e2b4c1412.mp4

 

 

 

Well,  feel good you fed the bear.  Not much for them to eat right now until green up.  The bears need the food more than the birds,  just head back out and buy a couple of 50lb sacks of food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My crocus are flowering! Just crocus but hey, it’s a sign of spring. Forstythias don’t flower here - I have one but all you get is a few flowers on the very bottom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's still some snow out there... this was 3-4 foot depths throughout the area at 3,000ft.  It definitely is decreasing, it's that time of year, but with minor set-backs every now and again.

QCsT6rP.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, powderfreak said:

There were some good turns to be had.  Very gusty winds throughout the day.

MqhkJbG.jpg

Lookin’ good PF, that definitely seems similar to what I found on my Bolton tour on Saturday.

I actually headed out for a Mansfield tour yesterday, and there was some additional snow from the Saturday night snowfall, but the only substantial additions to depth seemed to generally be above 3,000’.  We were at Spruce at the Lodge on Saturday night, and we certainly saw some snowfall in the evening and into the overnight, but temperatures were pretty marginal and it really only resulted in a trace or so down there at ~1,500’ when we woke up Sunday morning.

For my tour, I skinned up in the Gondola area, and additional accumulations seemed rather minimal below about 2,500’ – there was a windswept inch or two that was really scattered around atop the old base, and much of that was probably there from Saturday’s snow.  The new snow had collected in pockets here and there, but I didn’t really see any substantial consistency until I started getting into the upper half of the terrain.  Getting up around the 3,000’ mark I started getting some solid 6 to 7 inch depths or reasonably dense, dry snow along the climber’s right of Perry Merrill.

Being underwhelmed by the accumulations I’d seen on my ascent of the main Gondi terrain, I headed toward Cliff Trail for my descent.  The deepest accumulations I found were up around 3,500’ along the skier’s right of Perry Merrill, where 7 to 9 inches was pretty typical in undisturbed areas.  That was really nice, and while the depth gradually decreased as I headed down Cliff Trail, the skiing there was quite good throughout.  There were a few tracks on the trail, but only a few skiers had been down at that point.  I’d say that the junction with Nosedive at around 2,700’ was right about where the best snow petered out.  The elevation was part of it, but the change to Nosedive with its more open nature and higher levels of skier traffic made for a very obvious break in the availability of the new snow.  That would have been an excellent spot to stop a descent if one was looking to lap the best snow up high.

I saw some folks continue on up above the Gondola into the alpine via Cliff Trail Gully, but I was a bit leery of what coverage would be like with the new snow over previous melting.  If the new snow depths continued to grow above the 3,600’ range then it could have been nice.

A few shots from Sunday’s outing:

28APR19A.jpg

28APR19B.jpg

28APR19C.jpg

28APR19D.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, alex said:

My crocus are flowering! Just crocus but hey, it’s a sign of spring. Forstythias don’t flower here - I have one but all you get is a few flowers on the very bottom

Twenty years ago we bought forsythia that was supposed to be very cold-hardy, but except for the winter that only reached -12, the thing never blossomed above the January snow depth.  A few years back it had but one single blossom, as if to mock us, so I dug it up and moved it to the edge of the woods (where it still doesn't blossom) and replaced it with an azalea.

Still 12-18" on the ground - except for south-facing hardwood land - around Pittston Farm, 10 miles from the north end of Moosehead Lake.  Roadside snowbanks were up to 4' high and the driving was - interesting.  Fortunately, that area missed the heavy rain, or we'd have been faced with blown out culverts on the homeward journey.

Edit:  Folks running the place said they'd had 15,000 sled visits during the winter, and during peak season (which was all of Jan-Feb and most of March) they would serve 6-700 lunches per weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, alex said:

My crocus are flowering! Just crocus but hey, it’s a sign of spring. Forstythias don’t flower here - I have one but all you get is a few flowers on the very bottom

Alex,

I've noticed that the forsythia here some years have a hard time flowering too except the lower parts.  I think its because the shrubs can't take the super cold.  The lower parts get covered up with snow before the way below zero weather sets in.   That is my theory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine took his snowmobile up to the Canadian border and had surprisingly good sledding weather.  He posted a bunch of pictures and it looks like the ground is still all snow covered.

In keeping with the NNE gore animal  theme he also posted this picture.  I don't know if the moose was hit by a sled and died on the trail and was then eaten or if coyotes or something got to him/her first

moose.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tamarack said:

Twenty years ago we bought forsythia that was supposed to be very cold-hardy, but except for the winter that only reached -12, the thing never blossomed above the January snow depth.  A few years back it had but one single blossom, as if to mock us, so I dug it up and moved it to the edge of the woods (where it still doesn't blossom) and replaced it with an azalea.

Still 12-18" on the ground - except for south-facing hardwood land - around Pittston Farm, 10 miles from the north end of Moosehead Lake.  Roadside snowbanks were up to 4' high and the driving was - interesting.  Fortunately, that area missed the heavy rain, or we'd have been faced with blown out culverts on the homeward journey.

Edit:  Folks running the place said they'd had 15,000 sled visits during the winter, and during peak season (which was all of Jan-Feb and most of March) they would serve 6-700 lunches per weekend.

When i'm in the Jackman area i would be one of the 15,000 that visit Pittston Farms for lunch, Great food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

A friend of mine took his snowmobile up to the Canadian border and had surprisingly good sledding weather.  He posted a bunch of pictures and it looks like the ground is still all snow covered.

In keeping with the NNE gore animal  theme he also posted this picture.  I don't know if the moose was hit by a sled and died on the trail and was then eaten or if coyotes or something got to him/her first

moose.jpg

If it had been hit by a sled, we would have heard about it from somewhere and the guy who hit it might have looked like that too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

If it had been hit by a sled, we would have heard about it from somewhere and the guy who hit it might have looked like that too. 

Yeah I was thinking the snowmobiler would've died if he hit a moose hard enough to kill it. Odd place for it to end up but if weakened by disease or something, it would've sought out the packed down trail to travel instead of the deep woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,

I've noticed that the forsythia here some years have a hard time flowering too except the lower parts.  I think its because the shrubs can't take the super cold.  The lower parts get covered up with snow before the way below zero weather sets in.   That is my theory.

 

Yes that’s exactly what it is. Just like rhododendrons. Bottom foot looks great and anything above that dies completely. 

It amazes me how the local big box stores carry mostly plants that are not hardy in Northern New England

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah I was thinking the snowmobiler would've died if he hit a moose hard enough to kill it. Odd place for it to end up but if weakened by disease or something, it would've sought out the packed down trail to travel instead of the deep woods.
Maybe killed by ticks?

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Maybe killed by ticks?
 

Always a possibility, though calf mortality due to them is down quite a bit from the 60% 2-3 years back.  Might've just been old - the cow moose that died on my woodlot in 2011, which fed many coyotes, had well-worn teeth that led our staff biologist to conclude that the beast had been at/near the end of a moose's normal lifespan.  The carcass was about half a mile from a paved road, so injury by vehicle could probably be ruled out.
 

When i'm in the Jackman area i would be one of the 15,000 that visit Pittston Farms for lunch, Great food.

At the men's retreat last week, food was served cafeteria-style, rather than cooked to order like the sledders' lunches, but the quality was all there.  They had made a few too many pumpkin pies and sent a few home with our crew, and my wife and I enjoyed our slices last evening - great spicing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

April totals: 4.5” Snow/6.06” L.E.

April precipitation totals are in, and while the month was a few inches lean on snowfall, it was still well within 1 S.D., so not unusual at all.  The previous four Aprils had all had snowfall in the 8-12” range, so that probably made this one seem a bit less snowy.  Seasonal snowfall as of the end of the month is at 193.2”, so we’re going to come in above average there regardless of what happens in May.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

April 2019:  Cloudy, cool, frequent precip though near normal total.

Avg. max:  47.8   -4.1    Mildest:  66, 19th and 22nd   Coldest max:  29, 9th.  (8th had afternoon max of 27.)
Avg. min:  28.7   +0.3   Coldest:  12, 2nd.  Mildest min: 45, 22nd
The 19.1° avg diurnal range is lowest of 21 Aprils, 0.9° ahead of 2007, our wettest and snowiest April.
Avg. mean:  38.25   -1.9   Mildest mean:  55.5, 22nd.  Coldest:  25.5, 9th

Precip:  4.24"   +0.23"   Greatest day:  1.14", 27th.  Month had measurable precip on 18 days, and ties 2007 for cloudiest April.

Snowfall:  7.7"  +2.6"   The 2 storms during April 8-10 brought 3.7" and 3.5".   3rd snowiest April (Deceptive:  1st is 37.2" in '07; 2nd 15.6" in '11; 4th 6.2" in '02.)

Month began with 26" pack, and the 4" left on 4/20 was down to traces the next day, ending 162 consecutive days with 1"+ (163 days total), tops by more than 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,

I've noticed that the forsythia here some years have a hard time flowering too except the lower parts.  I think its because the shrubs can't take the super cold.  The lower parts get covered up with snow before the way below zero weather sets in.   That is my theory.

 

Its obviously warmer down here but I have the opposite problem, the lower parts don't bloom but the upper parts do.  My theory is that its from the deer as I've seen them eating it.  Forsythia is considered deer resistant but if the deer are hungry enough, and we have quite the herd around me, they will eat pretty much anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×