Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

308" at 3K? I always forget where the official Stowe total comes from.

Yes.  Our next door neighbor Smuggs had 379".  

I bet Stowe's 3k snowfall was more like 340" this season.  We underreported a lot early season due to some new snow reporting procedures that failed until we reverted to the old method. 

This year was the lowest snowfall to hit 100" of depth, which also would argue for it being low given the number of rain events too.  Normally it takes a good 350" season to sustain a 100"+ depth.  Like a solid 3:1 snow to depth ratio.  

We measured 375" in 2016-17 but had less snowpack.  That was my snowiest winter of measuring at 3k feet.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes.  Our next door neighbor Smuggs had 379".  

I bet Stowe's 3k snowfall was more like 340" this season.  We underreported a lot early season due to some new snow reporting procedures that failed until we reverted to the old method. 

This year was the lowest snowfall to hit 100" of depth, which also would argue for it being low given the number of rain events too.  Normally it takes a good 350" season to sustain a 100"+ depth.  Like a solid 3:1 snow to depth ratio.  

We measured 375" in 2016-17 but had less snowpack.  That was my snowiest winter of measuring at 3k feet.

I keep forgetting how snowy 16-17 was there. You had that month of March obviously, but didn’t you guys have a sick stretch in Feb too?

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I keep forgetting how snowy 16-17 was there. You had that month of March obviously, but didn’t you guys have a sick stretch in Feb too?

Don't know how Feb 17 was in the northern Greens, but my place had 5 storms for 45" total in 10 days, 7th-16th, including the season's 2nd 21" dump.  We had gotten our rescue Lab mix from TX on the 4th - quite the shock to her system.  (Did not take long for her to adapt, though the Pi-Day blizz cowered her big time.)

23 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We had a stretch of like 102" or something in 23 days from late Jan through mid-Feb in 2017.  It was every day we were clearing snow off the board at 3,000ft.  That included one of my favorite busts ever when models had you thinking scattered lake effect and upslope snow showers might bring 1-3".... but some random meso-scale convergence dumped 17" in like 12-18 hours on the hill.  

Even April 2017 was pretty big, including a 10" synoptic event early in the month and then a 14" dense graupel upslope event like the second week of the month. 

March had the "Stella" storm that dropped like 5-6 feet in 3 or 4 days of near bottomless fluff....big cyclonic upslope moisture after a large synoptic event.  Even BTV was around 30" in that.

Going from 153" (lowest measured at Stowe) in 2015-16 to 375" (one of highest measured) in 2016-17 was a trip.  Both of those totals were measured by me and a colleague in the same spot at 3000ft.  Just such totally different winters.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:10 AM, Angus said:

I kept an eye on the rivers on my drive up to Carrabassett yesterday. There is a lot of snow on ground in western maine but the rivers don't seem to bad. I paid attention to the Carrabassett river - south of Kingfield, it is ice free. just beyond (west) Kingfield still clogged and covered in ice. I took a wrong turn in Jay and ended up driving alongside the androscoggin (east side) for some time and it too didn't seem bad.

Its high today, But once the flow goes over west pitch (furthest rock on the left) at the falls here in Lew/Aub, Then it becomes Major flooding, This pic was moderate as it was 3' above flood stage.

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

image.png.d3bfca61ab93ae891c6802d807a7f676.png

I was living in Austin Texas during the '87 flood and my grandmother sent me the Portland newspaper coverage. I came across it several years ago, I should go try to dig it up. As I recall, a lot of their coverage focused on the Kennebec and Augusta.

10 greatest flows on the Kennebec at the North Sidney gauge, records 1979 on.  (Records missing 1994-20000; I've estimated a flow for the June 15 peak, greatest non snowmelt-augmented flow on the Sandy.)

Peak flow in 1000s CFS
1.    232   1987
2.    113   1984   (June 1)
3.    111   1979   (#2 on the St. John in Ft. Kent, obliterated by 2008)
4.    107   1983   (#5 on the St. John)
5.    106   1986   (Jan. 28)
6.    102   2003   (Dec. 19)
7.    100   1998   (Est. for June15)
8.    93.9  2005
9.    92.5  2008
10.  91     1993

I was living in Austin Texas during the '87 flood and my grandmother sent me the Portland newspaper coverage. I came across it several years ago, I should go try to dig it up. As I recall, a lot of their coverage focused on the Kennebec and Augusta.

22 feet above flood stage in Augusta.  Upriver, across from WVL, Fort Halifax (built in the 1740s) was completely carried away, though about 1/3 of the timbers washed ashore on islands/peninsulas in the Kennebec estuary.  Those were used in reconstructing the fort.

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

10 greatest flows on the Kennebec at the North Sidney gauge, records 1979 on.  (Records missing 1994-20000; I've estimated a flow for the June 15 peak, greatest non snowmelt-augmented flow on the Sandy.)

Peak flow in 1000s CFS
1.    232   1987
2.    113   1984   (June 1)
3.    111   1979   (#2 on the St. John in Ft. Kent, obliterated by 2008)
4.    107   1983   (#5 on the St. John)
5.    106   1986   (Jan. 28)
6.    102   2003   (Dec. 19)
7.    100   1998   (Est. for June15)
8.    93.9  2005
9.    92.5  2008
10.  91     1993

22 feet above flood stage in Augusta.  Upriver, across from WVL, Fort Halifax (built in the 1740s) was completely carried away, though about 1/3 of the timbers washed ashore on islands/peninsulas in the Kennebec estuary.  Those were used in reconstructing the fort.

I was almost 8yrs old and even I remember the 87 floods. The Merrimack made the most news here obviously.

13 hours ago, klw said:

As of yesterday morning, I can declare my snow cover to be gone after 5 months and 4 days.  There are some patches left but they are now the exception.  Nov 13 to April 17 is not a bad run at all.

Anticipate being able to make the same comment Sunday morning, after 162 consecutive days with snow cover, Nov 10-April 20.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:04 PM, dendrite said:

May be time to give Maue’s site a trial run?

We have two office accounts at WeatherBell for the EPS mostly. Definitely finding the new website a bit clunky. 

I wouldn't mind following Maue to WeatherModels, but I really find him (and Bastardi at WeatherBell) tiresome and would rather send our office budget somewhere else.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

We have two office accounts at WeatherBell for the EPS mostly. Definitely finding the new website a bit clunky. 

I wouldn't mind following Maue to WeatherModels, but I really find him (and Bastardi at WeatherBell) tiresome and would rather send our office budget somewhere else.

idk what wxbell has now, but the ec time-height plots may be the tiebreaker for me next winter.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/52189-april-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=5240836

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Pemi in Plymouth in flood this morning.  Can't get off Rt 93 at the Plymouth exit.  This happens fairly frequently.

Yeah water approaches the road and that gas station on the left at 15' and comes over the road completely at 15.5'. This crest was 16.4'.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah water approaches the road and that gas station on the left at 15' and comes over the road completely at 15.5'. This crest was 16.4'.

I think at that gas station they have marks with the crests of past floods.  I can't remember well but I believe some of those marks were over my head so the river has gotten much higher.  With this rain event over it looks like NNE came out of this years big spring snowmelt okay.  Always the chance of more heavy rain events and I'm sure still a ton of snow to melt at higher elevations but we are past the peak of greatest concern.  I think)

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think at that gas station they have marks with the crests of past floods.  I can't remember well but I believe some of those marks were over my head so the river has gotten much higher.  With this rain event over it looks like NNE came out of this years big spring snowmelt okay.  Always the chance of more heavy rain events and I'm sure still a ton of snow to melt at higher elevations but we are past the peak of greatest concern.  I think)

Irene was over 5' higher than this crest, and the record in March 1936 freshet was over 7' higher than Irene (29'). 

I mean a fairly long, slow melt off and only a couple minor flood episodes is pretty tame spring given the potential that was locked up in the snow up north.

48 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Irene was over 5' higher than this crest, and the record in March 1936 freshet was over 7' higher than Irene (29'). 

I mean a fairly long, slow melt off and only a couple minor flood episodes is pretty tame spring given the potential that was locked up in the snow up north.

Could have been lots worse - only 0.8" RA here and most places didn't vary far from 1".  Front Street parking in Augusta got its annual washing, but not much else in the Kennebec drainage.  Jury is still out for the St. John, however.