Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,415
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Landia_Copeland
    Newest Member
    Landia_Copeland
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
wxmanmitch

NNE Winter Thread

Recommended Posts

This graph summarizes the snow depth surplus this season.

Best snow depth season in town since I moved here in 2010, though I think 2010-2011 was more snowy in terms of actual inches that fell, the snow this year was dense low-ratio and it stuck around from the very beginning.

*Graph from WFO BTV.

B4zLx0w.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice dude!  Your kids have no idea how lucky they will be to have a ski area for a neighbor.

Haha yeah I hope they will appreciate it. Tough to tell. It's rural here, no doubt. Luckily because of the demographics of this specific resort there's also a lot of VERY successful people around, and because of our job most of the people we hang out with are CEOs and entrepreneurs. But it's an island surrounded by some pretty extreme poverty and apathy. Still, I think it's a great place to raise a kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, alex said:

Haha yeah I hope they will appreciate it. Tough to tell. It's rural here, no doubt. Luckily because of the demographics of this specific resort there's also a lot of VERY successful people around, and because of our job most of the people we hang out with are CEOs and entrepreneurs. But it's an island surrounded by some pretty extreme poverty and apathy. Still, I think it's a great place to raise a kid. 

Sort of the story all across NNE. There are pockets of poverty across the entire area that get somewhat masked by being basically in the backyard of some of the wealthiest people in the world. I’d like to think we do a bit better than some areas of the country but there can still be some stark differences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Sort of the story all across NNE. There are pockets of poverty across the entire area that get somewhat masked by being basically in the backyard of some of the wealthiest people in the world. I’d like to think we do a bit better than some areas of the country but there can still be some stark differences. 

Same story here in Addison and Rutland counties, especially with the lakes and at the resorts. You get people scrambling to make a living, a lot of Section 8 housing in communities such as Fair Haven, and then families with 2nd and 3rd homes on Bomoseen, Lake St. Catherine, and Champlain, with $75k trucks pulling $60k bass boats.  The disparities are stark and tough, especially when you see friends listed in the annual Town Report as delinquent on taxes.  Ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.13 inches of rain, with a decent round of thunderstorms during the night.  Much more rain fell in Rutland County, especially the western side, with many reports of 2.5 inches or more.  Poultney takes the cake right now, with 2.92 inches via a CoCoRaHs station. 

Otter Creek is going to be well over its banks.  The swamps of Pittsford, Brandon, Sudbury, and Cornwall are going to turn into expansive lakes for the two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otter Creek at Center Rutland is currently in moderate flood stage at 10.42 feet.  This is the highest stage since Irene produced an amazing 17.2 feet crest in August 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, alex said:

Haha yeah I hope they will appreciate it. Tough to tell. It's rural here, no doubt. Luckily because of the demographics of this specific resort there's also a lot of VERY successful people around, and because of our job most of the people we hang out with are CEOs and entrepreneurs. But it's an island surrounded by some pretty extreme poverty and apathy. Still, I think it's a great place to raise a kid. 

You pretty much described this area too... as mreaves said, there's some big disparity even in the same towns in NNE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just checking the Sugarbush Webcams, and I see that the changeover to snow has definitely started at the upper cam at 3,900’.  It looks like they built some snowmen on the camera snowboard in celebration.  From what I see in the forecast, accumulations are supposed to make it all the way down to the lower mountain valleys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was just checking the Sugarbush Webcams, and I see that the changeover to snow has definitely started at the upper cam at 3,900’.  It looks like they built some snowmen on the camera snowboard in celebration.  From what I see in the forecast, accumulations are supposed to make it all the way down to the lower mountain valleys.

From a friends video it looked to be snowing down to 2000ft at Stowe an hour ago.  I've got 3-5" for Mansfield tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From a friends video it looked to be snowing down to 2000ft at Stowe an hour ago.  I've got 3-5" for Mansfield tonight.

How are the winds there?  Would you think there would be wind holds on the lifts tmrw am?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

How are the winds there?  Would you think there would be wind holds on the lifts tmrw am?

It's definitely possible, if not probable first thing.  If the FourRunner starts on hold they'll probably go with the Mountain Triple.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've switched over to snow down in town at 750ft... very small wind-blown flakes.  Wind is really ripping, visibility is pretty high due to the small flake size.

Looks like the entire ski area is now at or below freezing just up the road.  Has been up top for a while but just recently has the temp dropped in the base area, lowering the snow level well past 1,500ft down to the valley floor.

Top of the Gondola hasn't updated since this afternoon.  Control is 1,550ft...Gondi booster is the pumphouse on Perry Merrill...Norm's valve house is the building at the Liftline/National intersection at 2,600ft.

zT1m9aW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've switched over to snow down in town at 750ft... very small wind-blown flakes.  Wind is really ripping, visibility is pretty high due to the small flake size.

Looks like the entire ski area is now at or below freezing just up the road.  Has been up top for a while but just recently has the temp dropped in the base area, lowering the snow level well past 1,500ft down to the valley floor.

Top of the Gondola hasn't updated since this afternoon.  Control is 1,550ft...Gondi booster is the pumphouse on Perry Merrill...Norm's valve house is the building at the Liftline/National intersection at 2,600ft.

zT1m9aW.jpg

Even down here at around 500’ it switched over to snow about an hour ago – it’s not accumulating much yet, but the temperature is getting down toward freezing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a tough call..on one hand, probably enough snow overnight for one last good day at Stowe or jay...but to drive all the way there and be on wind hold all day..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Such a tough call..on one hand, probably enough snow overnight for one last good day at Stowe or jay...but to drive all the way there and be on wind hold all day..

It will be variable conditions.  That base is wet and it's locking up tight.  The wind is ripping and will continue to increase.  Gusts to 50mph across the ski terrain will scour and drift any new snow.  Icy with areas of powder?  Eastern surface in mid-April after a hard freeze and a little snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/1.37” L.E.

 

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.3

Snow Density: 23.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It will be variable conditions.  That base is wet and it's locking up tight.  The wind is ripping and will continue to increase.  Gusts to 50mph across the ski terrain will scour and drift any new snow.  Icy with areas of powder?  Eastern surface in mid-April after a hard freeze and a little snow.

The worst run of my life came with those conditions, though it was in January, at the old Glen Ellen.  I'd gone up the main lift prior to the ski school "grading" exercise, missed the advanced beginner trail I wanted and ended up on a high-end intermediate named Hoot Mon.  It was all icy moguls with soft powder in the hollows and I crashed about 20 times before reaching the bottom.  Somewhere in that disaster I parted company with all my travelers' checks.  Not all bad, however - my having gone up the mountain earlier got me kicked up to the beginning parallel class rather than the advanced stem.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I was just checking the Sugarbush Webcams, and I see that the changeover to snow has definitely started at the upper cam at 3,900’.  It looks like they built some snowmen on the camera snowboard in celebration.  From what I see in the forecast, accumulations are supposed to make it all the way down to the lower mountain valleys.

there was a snow man on the mid mtn cam last week, and now its gone and there are two on the summit cam so it must've climbed/skinned up over the weekend.  reported 2" last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just happen to see that Loon is closed.  On their website, they said thank you for a great season.  202" of snow.  How can this be?  Only 30 miles north of me, double my amount of 100"  and they get no big upslope?  

Alex at 177" and he is in a much better area,  higher in elevation, gets upslope and is further north.  What did Bretton Woods report this season?

Okay a couple of feet of an exaggeration but this seems ridiculous,  or is it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×