Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
wxmanmitch

NNE Winter Thread

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’m usually pretty happy to have this much snow on the ground on February 27, for March 27 it’s pretty rare. I’m at 1200’ but driving up the hill it gets deep after 1500’ or so as PF pointed out. 

30" at the stake this morning, but today will end the streak of 30"+ pack after 43 days, a run 2nd only to 2008 when we had a 62-day streak.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, powderfreak said:

Mansfield is just loaded with snow.  It's hard to even ski the glades because you are skiing in the tree canopy.  All the branches that are normally trimmed are at like knee height.  I'm 6'3" and can barely get through a bunch of areas.

Mountain is a playground.

Lots of folks teed it up off the Chin yesterday. 

UlwrkoP.jpg

Oh man, the Mansfield alpine looked so good on Sunday!  You can see all the routes that people have been skiing in your pic, and even the Adam’s Apple seemed to have lots of skiable lines!  We didn’t head up because our afternoon was spent skiing The Bruce, but I couldn’t help ogling the sites and snapping some images.  I’ve got a couple images below that I took.  Is that large snowfield (zoomed in the second image) the Rock Garden?  It doesn’t even look like it because it’s so filled in, but I definitely want to hear there for some turns.  It’s so great seeing all the great lines that people have been taking with this deep snowpack.

24MAR19B.jpg

24MAR19C.jpg

Kind of a depressingly cold morning.   Temp just fell 2F to 36F with light rain.  Earlier this week it looked like today and tomorrow would be around 60F for me.   Doesn't look like that will happen.  

Snow stake down to around 4".  Good melt yesterday with bare spots appearing south slope and under apple trees while its still a couple feet deep in the woods

Was down in Nashua today and the smell of rain on bare ground was awesome. It was so springy. Lost some decent snowpack here, already down to 22" and Twin just a few miles away is maybe 50% bare. 

1 hour ago, alex said:

Oh and our kids adoption is official. :)

Congrats to you and your significant other!  That kid has no idea how awesome life is going to be in the mountains.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Congrats to you and your significant other!  That kid has no idea how awesome life is going to be in the mountains.

:) Thanks. 2 year old girl (almost 3) and 5 year old boy. They already love skiing!

22 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Oh man, the Mansfield alpine looked so good on Sunday!  You can see all the routes that people have been skiing in your pic, and even the Adam’s Apple seemed to have lots of skiable lines!  We didn’t head up because our afternoon was spent skiing The Bruce, but I couldn’t help ogling the sites and snapping some images.  I’ve got a couple images below that I took.  Is that large snowfield (zoomed in the second image) the Rock Garden?  It doesn’t even look like it because it’s so filled in, but I definitely want to hear there for some turns.  It’s so great seeing all the great lines that people have been taking with this deep snowpack.

24MAR19C.jpg

Yup that's the Rock Garden.  Completely filled in to almost a western bowl type status.

That would be a great corn snow run this spring...wait for a hard freeze and then hit it when the top inch or two is peel away corn.  What a fun run and then you get dropped off on Upper Perry Merrill and realize you still have 2,000 vertical feet to go.

16 minutes ago, alex said:

:) Thanks. 2 year old girl (almost 3) and 5 year old boy. They already love skiing!

Nice, are they siblings to begin with?  I have no idea how the adoption process works, ha.  But really, congrat's dude.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, are they siblings to begin with?  I have no idea how the adoption process works, ha.  But really, congrat's dude.

Yep, siblings. We went through the state. Essentially you have to foster for at least a year, then you can petition to permanently adopt them. But that's in a very tiny nutshell :). Crazy how many kids from our own back yards in one of the richest countries in the world desperately need a home. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alex said:

Yep, siblings. We went through the state. Essentially you have to foster for at least a year, then you can petition to permanently adopt them. But that's in a very tiny nutshell :). Crazy how many kids from our own back yards in one of the richest countries in the world desperately need a home. 

Alex,  I know for you guys it's been a long process and the 2 of you make such good parents.  Giving the kids opportunities they never would have had. Again congrats to the new Foti family

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yup that's the Rock Garden.  Completely filled in to almost a western bowl type status.

That would be a great corn snow run this spring...wait for a hard freeze and then hit it when the top inch or two is peel away corn.  What a fun run and then you get dropped off on Upper Perry Merrill and realize you still have 2,000 vertical feet to go.

That’s one of my favorite aspects of skiing Mansfield – especially from The Chin.  You come down from The Chin to the top of the Gondola and you’ve already skied 800’ of vert, essentially the vertical of a small ski area.  Then, you look down below your feet and you’ve still got another 2,000’ or so of vertical (the typically vertical of a large ski area) to go.  Here’s a shot looking down from Profanity Chute when we were up there last spring – I love how you can see all that skiing in the alpine, but then below that you’ve got all the trails spread out

25MAR18G.jpg

It’s such a great setup, and it really doesn’t get any better than this time of year when that alpine snowpack is typically at its deepest.

I’m not sure when the precipitation switched over down at this elevation, but we’ve got some snow falling here in the valley now with a tenth of an inch on the boards.

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

I’m not sure when the precipitation switched over down at this elevation, but we’ve got some snow falling here in the valley now with a tenth of an inch on the boards.

I just took a look at the local radar, and I guess the snow I’m seeing is the front edge of the moisture that appears to be pushing into the area.

31MAR19A.gif

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

How much of a hike is it to the snowfields from the top of the gondola at Stowe? Something I'll have to plan for next year. 

The trip up typically takes 30 to 45 min, depending on what part of the alpine you're going to.

I see J.Spin is on it too...but I looked outside and noticed some fresh white coating the ground and light snow falling.

Looks like a pulse of moisture running into the mountains, I think I saw the NWS forecast had 1-3" for the Spine (esp. elevations) and that looks correct based on the radar presentation.

jGPe9bu.gif

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The trip up typically takes 30 to 45 min, depending on what part of the alpine you're going to.

Yeah agreed.  It's really only like 20-25 minutes or so to actually gain the ridgeline....but then it always takes me longer than I expect to actually walk along the ridge up to the Chin.  Rock Garden is sort of the same but in the southward direction.  The actual "work" part of the hike is the first 20 minutes or so...but once on the actual ridge its more lateral hiking rather than vertical.  Often takes longer than expected on the last part up to Hourglass, Profanity or the NW ridge as you're moving slower, watching where you step with a mix of rock, ice and snow up on the wind-swept ridge.

One of my favorites though is from the top of the FourRunner across the ridge...especially with skins, it can take 45 minutes to go across but it is a very enjoyable gradual rise with spectacular views on a nice day up there.  Just a real enjoyable tour on a bluebird day without a lot of wind.  Just 360 degree views almost the whole way, skinning along the Long Trail from the Toll Road to the Rock Garden or even Chin.

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.38” L.E.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.7

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky:  Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

• Like 1

Ahh Spring.  Beautiful wind driven snow and 22F :)

Probably not a bad idea considering our valley river was starting to flood, lots of standing water and more field ice than I have ever seen. We get a solo freeze today I may skate to the mountain tomorrow

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/0.49” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 22.8 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

March totals: 30.0” Snow/3.41” L.E.

Last night’s portion of the current storm finished things off for the month of March, so the month came in with exactly 30.0 inches of snow.  That’s nothing like the past couple of Marches, which were up in the 50 to 60-inch range due to huge storms like Winter Storm Stella and Winter Storm Skylar, but it’s right around average and what we’d typically expect.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, alex said:

Oh and our kids adoption is official. :)

Omg, congratulations!!!!

3 hours ago, alex said:

Just shoot me. Snow has gotten pretty heavy now. I'm so over it

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol embrace it,  NNErs crying for their Mommas

LOL, Alex, you literally live…

In NNE…

And not just NNE, but in the mountains of NNE…

And not just in the mountains of NNE, at an elevation of 1,500’… in the mountains… of NNE.

You have literally signed your name on the dotted line for roughly 8 months a year of potentially wintry weather.  Ginx’s advice about embracing it is right on.

Even down here at our elevation, the snow isn’t typically gone from the yard until mid to late April, and then there’s generally time needed to dry things out.  I don’t plan on summer mode around here until Memorial Day weekend or June 1st, which is when the leaves are finally fully out anyway.  We’re lucky though, we’ve typically got snow around to carry us through to that point, unlike a lot of areas of the country.  I’d say just embrace the exciting NNE weather and snowpack for several more weeks and let nature take its typical course.  It’s a lot less stressful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

March summary - cold and not particularly snowy, though good for pack retention.

Avg max:  35.7   2.6 BN   Highest: 52 on 3/31, lowest:  16 on 3/6
Avg. min:  10.8   5.1 BN   Coldest:  -20 on 3/8 (also winter's coldest, 4th time that's come in March.)  Mildest min:  31, on 3 days
Avg. mean:  23.2  3.9 BN   4th coldest of 21, with all 4 coming in the past 6 years.

Precip:  2.60"   1.04" BN   Greatest day:  1.04" on 3/22  (1.5" SN = 0.9" of low 30s RA.)
Snow:  11.7"   5.9" BN   Biggest snowfall:  5.0" on 3/4
Tallest pack:  41" on 3/10.  Lowest:  26" on 3/31.   Avg. depth:  34.7", 2nd (though distant) only to 2008. 

Growing up in the Mid-Atl, April is probably the only month I would swap vs here in VT. Maybe early May I guess too sometimes. The rest I would take VT over there, and its not really that close honestly comparing month to month for me.

Definitely heard some complaining about the wind/cold/snow this morning dropping the kids off.   Non Weenies are for sure over it--and we don't even have any snow left on the ground here and had only like half an inch this morning! ha