Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Some absolute house shakers and lightening here as well with some pretty decent rainfall rates. That will get the kids out of bed this morning..ha.

The much feared EML strikes again. Better alert Ekster and Banacos to update their paper.

Some serious snowpack damage yesterday - stake down to 20" - but man the 60s felt amazing. Moderate snow now which just doesn't have the same appeal after a day in the 60s
You know how the snow held up in Jackson? Was thinking of coming up tomorrow to snowshoe around the xcountry area

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In the car heading back from Balt. Looking at the webcam snowpack down to 10". No bare spots showing yet on south facing slopes.  2 days of 75 to near 80F felt amazing on the trip. With the dews yesterday it felt hot.  Glad we have the pack to melt or I would already be whining that we are going to dry out too early this spring.  Jeez I've lived away from cities too long these drivers are nuts.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

You know how the snow held up in Jackson? Was thinking of coming up tomorrow to snowshoe around the xcountry area

Not sure - haven't been down but they had a lot of snow to start and they tend to stay much colder than the higher elevations, so I imagine they're in pretty good shape

6 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Might be crust over corn by tomorrow morning.

Lost 2" pack yesterday (high in 40s, <0.1" RA) and probably another 2 today (to 34") between sunny low 40s and wind.

Still about a foot here. I’ll measure it the morning. I had 12” this morning so maybe 11ish? Down to 33° so the puddles are getting some skim ice. The roof is almost entirely clear and dry now minus one tiny patch in a sheltered spot on the north side of the garage. So hopefully we slow down the melt this week with the 35-40° days and 15° nights. With sun and lower RH we should be able to sublimate and evaporate some of it away too. 

Guess we have to keep an eye on late week for a late bloomer too. 

It's actually been snowing pretty good for the past 30-45 minutes.  Perfect dendrites, big feathers.  They are slow to fall but there are a lot of them.

Seems to be a Lake Ontario connection...could be a couple/few inches for the mountains if they are seeing this snow growth, but it's the true meaning of dust on crust.

t7opbJa.gif

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's actually been snowing pretty good for the past 30-45 minutes.  Perfect dendrites, big feathers.  They are slow to fall but there are a lot of them.

Seems to be a Lake Ontario connection...could be a couple/few inches for the mountains if they are seeing this snow growth, but it's the true meaning of dust on crust.

t7opbJa.gif

I’m not sure when it started snowing, but I just checked and there’s over an inch out there.  It’s not quite as intense as that 2.5”/hr. Wednesday night blast, but still fairly heavy snowfall with large flakes.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

t7opbJa.gif

That’s awesome and why northern Vermont is great. Anything will help for tomorrow. We will lucky to get a dusting in svt

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s awesome and why northern Vermont is great. Anything will help for tomorrow. We will lucky to get a dusting in svt

There are of course instances where the SVT resorts get more snow, but throughout the course of an entire season, there are a lot of these impromptu events in the north, and they really add up.  If you look at the typical reported averages for annual snowfall here along the spine, the values for the northernmost resorts are more than double those for the southernmost resorts.

14 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I’m not sure when it started snowing, but I just checked and there’s over an inch out there.  It’s not quite as intense as that 2.5”/hr. Wednesday night blast, but still fairly heavy snowfall with large flakes.

Three separate 1 hour+ drives I made throughout last week were through heavy 1.0-2.0+inch bands.  The first was through the fronto band of the cutter Sunday morning driving from my buddies in Springfield, MA to Dover, VT.

Screenshot_20190310-073215_MyRadar_crop_360x578.jpg.1941b383bb4389df8c6ee862ca8ad53d.jpg

Then Sunday afternoon, driving from Dover to Jay(Montgomery Center), near montpelier the snow switched back from rain and the rates were easily 2+ once I got closer to Jay.  We obviously got a lot up at Jay this week, they reported around 21-24" in 48 hours. 

I dont have screenshot of radar from Sunday night the 10th, but I took this one on Monday evening at 9pm.  We picked up 4" in two hours between 8-10pm in Montgomery Center, and another 4-5" overnight.  

Screenshot_20190311-211539_MyRadar_crop_360x403.jpg.2f6692063525b7b26ee9d3725e208011.jpg

When I left Wednesday night to drive down to a friends cabin in Wilmot, NH, we drove through those 2.5"+ bands coming out of Jay and through Stowe and your hometown. The snow follows me.  

I had never heard of mud season when I lived in the Boston area.  Boy I know what it is now.  Our road is a total mess.  Without 4 wheel drive and a truck its almost impossible to get up.  Thankfully it firmed up last night and more thankfully no storms this week and a freeze/thaw temps will help.  If the thaw had continued with an inch or two of rain thrown on top it would have been a disaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I had never heard of mud season when I lived in the Boston area.  Boy I know what it is now.  Our road is a total mess.  Without 4 wheel drive and a truck its almost impossible to get up.  Thankfully it firmed up last night and more thankfully no storms this week and a freeze/thaw temps will help.  If the thaw had continued with an inch or two of rain thrown on top it would have been a disaster. 

How does the Crosstrek do in that stuff?

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

t7opbJa.gif

The pics I saw from Smuggs this morning were pretty inspiring. 

46 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

How does the Crosstrek do in that stuff?

Good question.  I took the truck today.  Tomorrow will be the Crosstrek's turn.  Over this winter, in the snow that Crosstrek was a beast.  Fantastic handling and high clearance.  With only 2000 miles on the new car I really don't want to drive it through the deep mud but its inevitable.

• Like 1

Here’s the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas, which should represent the totals from the back side of Winter Storm Ulmer.

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The totals fell of pretty precipitously once outside the Northern Greens with this event.

20 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Here’s the north to south listing of available 24-hour snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas, which should represent the totals from the back side of Winter Storm Ulmer.

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The totals fell of pretty precipitously once outside the Northern Greens with this event.

That has to be wrong, Jay didn’t get the most? I’ve never heard of such a thing.:whistle:

4 hours ago, J.Spin said:

It was a classic Northern Greens set-up that may barely show up on QPF/precip plots because of how minimal it is... but snow growth is aligned well for orographic snows, with -12C to -18F just above the ridges and peaks.  So the fluid westerly flow hits a speed bump, like water rippling over a dam of rocks, and that turbulence/upward motion brings snow to the surface.  A subtle WNW CAA undercutting the flow aloft also wouldn't cause snow because it's usually denser, sinking air.  But the terrain says it needs to go up as well.

In the end, you get a fluffy 2-3" and nice few hour period of snow around the Spine, with 4-5" at the ski resorts.  Hard to believe not getting a tenth in the Upper CT River Valley despite being in the moisture flow axis.

March_17_Snow.png

19 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Impressive ruts, but fortunately no spring-holes (yet.)