Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's what I was suspecting, J.Spin.  In the main thread I thought we might be getting under 10:1 ratios.

3.0" at 8pm here.  I saw  you guys to the south were in better echoes for a while so we are likely behind by an inch or so.

I just checked, and as of roughly 9 PM there’s another 3.2” on the boards, so 5.1” thus far for the storm.  Snowfall has been running right around an inch per hour this evening.  The flakes are a bit larger now, and the snow seems a bit less dense so I’d say the ratio would be could be higher in the next analysis, but we’ll have to see what kinds of flakes the rest of the evening brings.

Indeed this is great resurfacing snow for the slopes.

• Thanks 1

The 9 PM to 10 PM time block delivered roughly an inch and a half of snow here, so the snowfall rate has remained fairly robust this evening.  It’s not very obvious to me from the radar or even visual observation of the snowfall here, but I checked when I saw the depth of the stack on the snowboard and it seemed like it had seen a good increase in the past hour.

I think Gene had a good point about the wind here. From a precip perspective, it doesn't seem like downsloping is much of a factor. Makes me wonder if he was right about the wind funneling up Crawford Notch. We are right at the entrance of that tunnel after all, and I've seen some cool days in the fall especially when a foggy myst pours in from the notch. The wind is exactly aligned with that direction b

35 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

5" measured at 10:15.  Have averaged around 3/4" per hour for the event, but likely an inch per hour over last 3 hours.  Also seeing larger flakes mixing in.  Snowing at a good clip now.

I just measured 5.5” here in Barre Town. Should get over 6” easily. I’m glad the State delayed opening until 9:45 tomorrow. I don’t have to get up too early to clear the driveway.  

Event totals: 9.2” Snow/1.15” L.E.

Indeed the snow density had come down to around 10% H2O at the midnight observations last night, but it shot right back up with the overnight accumulation to a very hearty 16% H2O.  I could tell that the core was dense when I was taking it this morning, but I’ve still been doing double takes when measuring the liquid from a couple of these cores.  I keep thinking my new snow depth measurement must be off when I get the liquid numbers, because it doesn’t seem like you can get snow this dense without some sort of sleet or freezing rain in there.  I didn’t see any obvious signs of mixed precipitation in the stack this morning, but 16% H2O is about as high as you can go without it as far as I know – very Sierra Cement/Cascade Concrete-type snow from this last round.  In this case it’s not wet, but still extremely dense

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.35 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.3

Snow Density: 15.9% H2O

Temperature: 22.8 F

Sky:  Light Snow (4 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 29.5 inches

This 10.3" from Manchester isn't even a slant stick, that's a straight drift stick...

I had 4.8" at 7am

VERMONT

...Bennington County...
   Manchester            10.3   541 AM  2/13  WeatherNet6
   Woodford               6.5   714 AM  2/13  WeatherNet6
   West Arlington         5.8   552 AM  2/13  WeatherNet6

...Windham County...
   Wilmington             6.0   607 AM  2/13  WeatherNet6

• Haha 1

Similar to a lot of you, I had 7.4" this morning on the car at 7am.  I bet we added another 1-2" but won't know till I get home.

Seems like 7" this morning was a fairly uniform number.  

We had 7" at the mountain too but picked up a quick fluffy 2-3" with that backside burst.  Skiing seems like 8-10" without a true measurement.  

Check out the liquid this morning from east of the Spine to west of it.  Precip was at least half as much on the other side.  

Jspin takes the win locally with 1.15" liquid and tied for highest snowfall in state with this storm.

IMG_2247.GIF

Snowfall at the house between 6 AM and 12 PM this morning was 3.2”, so that puts the storm total at 12.4” thus far.  There is another 1-3” in our point forecast for this afternoon, so I guess we’ll see if anything else adds up on this one.  Even with what’s fallen thus far, it’s a decent fit for the 8-16” that was forecast.

I was up at Bolton for a tour this morning, so I can pass along some info.  Accumulations were 9-10” at 1,500’ at the Timberline Base and about 12-13” at 2,500’ at the Timberline Summit.  It was pounding snow at an inch or two per hour on most of my ascent though, so that upper number would have that factored in.  Winter Storm Maya has been a solid resurfacing so far though, with well over an inch of liquid equivalent, and some really dense snow at the start of this cycle.  There is probably some upside-down character to those initial accumulations, but thankfully there was another 3-4” of fluff on top of that when I was out today so it was very right-side-up by that point.  I’ll put together some images as soon as I get a chance.

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Similar to a lot of you, I had 7.4" this morning on the car at 7am.  I bet we added another 1-2" but won't know till I get home.

Seems like 7" this morning was a fairly uniform number.  

We had 7" at the mountain too but picked up a quick fluffy 2-3" with that backside burst.  Skiing seems like 8-10" without a true measurement.  

Check out the liquid this morning from east of the Spine to west of it.  Precip was at least half as much on the other side.  

Jspin takes the win locally with 1.15" liquid and tied for highest snowfall in state with this storm.

IMG_2247.GIF

I saw that this morning and was thinking PF will enjoy that precip distribution....ha.

Down here in SVT--I had .93", so not as much as a discrepancy in precip from west slope to east slope.  Even the guy in Bennington had .60"--guess thats only half though of the east slope reports

2019&cp=0

Some bigger differences in RUT county with the RUT cocorahs spotters:

2019&cp=0

59 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

With final squally burst this afternoon, I finished with right around 10".  I liked the different aspects of this storm.

Nice!  I just measured the storm total snow that I haven't cleared from our walkway and it was 9.5". 

We've had some real solid synoptic storms this season.

Depth is 24" in the yard.