Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Plenty of winter here...tough to judge by the main strip in Tilton. We stayed cool most of the day until mid afternoon when we semi slipped into the warm sector. Today was our biggest disparity in temps with you that I've seen since you got the new Davis. Your area is looking damn good for mid week.

Have you tried Tilton House of Pizza? Those guys are damn good. They're right on the corner by the railroad tracks....I think I recall you mentioning Onions to me before. Kettlehead Brewery is a little further down by the high school too.

Thanks for the Pizza tip.  Nope haven't tried TH of Pizza.  Uno's 2 for one is a great deal.  I think it was around $32 for 2 large Uno's.  Weather wise the Tilton strip is a bit lower in elevation than you and further east too.  Right at the top of the big hill north of Exit 20 was the dividing line, driving down and back.  Just watched the car thermometer change every minute.

Town plow just went up my road. Ended up with about 1.3" of snow although judging by the snow falling I thought it would be more.  Probably takes 2 hours to sand/plow all our roads.  They will be pissed if the actual CF comes through with a heavy squall and makes all their work for not.  Don't see anything on radar that will make it to Central NH.

Tuesday night next....

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.08” L.E.

Additional snowfall in the past couple of hours has been quite heavy, with another 2.4” as of 8 P.M.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky:  Snow (5 to 15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 27.5 inches

• Like 1

Just now, alex said:

Up to 4". Very nice rates 

Nice, you are probably getting the second round of heavier snow that the Greens saw a little while ago.  It just smoked the Spine quickly.

Grooming department reporting 6" at 1,500ft and 8" or more on the upper mountain.  Complete arctic front fluff with good snow growth and probably a quarter inch of QPF or so.  That stuff adds up quickly,  gets some deeper fluff on top of the hard rain crust.

I think you're about to enjoy the next hour or so.  Dried up pretty quickly when it does shut off though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, you are probably getting the second round of heavier snow that the Greens saw a little while ago.  It just smoked the Spine quickly.

Grooming department reporting 6" at 1,500ft and 8" or more on the upper mountain.

I think you're about to enjoy the next hour or so.  Dried up pretty quickly when it does shut off though.

Heckuva week  

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Grooming department reporting 6" at 1,500ft and 8" or more on the upper mountain.

Yes it's a different type of snow. Much fatter flakes now, they stack up quickly. Very scenic 

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Grooming department reporting 6" at 1,500ft and 8" or more on the upper mountain.  Complete arctic front fluff with good snow growth and probably a quarter inch of QPF or so.  That stuff adds up quickly,  gets some deeper fluff on top of the hard rain crust.

18 minutes ago, alex said:

Yes it's a different type of snow. Much fatter flakes now, they stack up quickly. Very scenic 

It absolutely dumped big, fat flakes for a while with that second round. I sort of had expected tho finish with 1.5” or so before round 2 dropped another couple of inches of broomable snow. 

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I just got a phone alert that we’re under a Winter Storm Watch, so I’ve added the latest BTV NWS advisories and projected accumulations maps below.

28JAN19A.jpg

28JAN19B.jpg

Strictly speaking for my area, I will again take the under again on an ALY map--dont see 10" here or 8" in Bennington happening. Maybe some 2k East slope spots

55 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

And they only get offered a one day pass . Ok. They all had purchased 1 day passes that we’re ruined by that incident and had an awful couple hour experience . Very weak imo .  I’d say 3 day passes for those folks is least they could do 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

And they only get offered a one day pass . Ok. They all had there purchased 1 day passes ruined by that incident and stressed out . Kinda weak imo but i mean what will you offer them. I’d say 3 day passes 

Old lift needs replacing by the billion dollar resort owners.

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

And they only get offered a one day pass . Ok. They all had there purchased 1 day passes ruined by that incident and stressed out . Kinda weak imo but i mean what will you offer them. I’d say 3 day passes 

Skiing down under the lift after freezing for 2.5 hrs must have sucked. Some gnarly places under that lift too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah, that place freakin prints money. The most ridiculously priced resort(thanks Vail). Tickets at the counter day of go for 145.00. How bout putting some of that back into the maintenance of utilities, to ensure things like this don’t happen. Then to give a 1 day pass to a customer Who endures something like that at one of the most affluent resorts in the country is not cool, not cool at all.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

4 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Yeah, that place freakin prints money. The most ridiculously priced resort(thanks Vail). Tickets at the counter day of go for 145.00. How bout putting some of that back into the maintenance of utilities, to ensure things like this don’t happen. Then to give a 1 day pass to a customer Who endures something like that at one of the most affluent resorts in the country is not cool, not cool at all.

Vail is just continuing the tradition.  Back in the '70s when I learned to ski, Stowe set the bar for highest prices in the East, and it wasn't particularly close.  (Never went there, except for a June gondola ride during our honeymoon.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Was on that Lift when it went down yesterday.  Was close enough to ground to ditch skis, slide out and down, grab the foot rest bar and drop 4 or 5 feet into pretty soft snow.  Some weren't so lucky and spent 2 1/2 hours waiting to be lowered.  It was not brutally cold but enough wind and snow to I'm sure make it miserable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Was on that Lift when it went down yesterday.  Was close enough to ground to ditch skis, slide out and down, grab the foot rest bar and drop 4 or 5 feet into pretty soft snow.  Some weren't so lucky and spent 2 1/2 hours waiting to be lowered.  It was not brutally cold but enough wind and snow to I'm sure make it miserable.

My biggest skiing fear is getting stuck over a gorge. I was stuck on a chair at SR over a steep gully on the Aurora chair for 45 minutes one late afternoon,only a couple  of us on the chair, it was decently below zero with winds gusting to around 35. Bad thoughts went through me head. They were able to restart it but I was done for the day, locked up from the cold