Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 12.7” Snow/1.34” L.E.

As PF and I were discussing, the snow density has indeed come down with the overnight snowfall.  It’s now down to the ~5% H2O range, which should be excellent to top off the denser snow from the past couple of days in terms of right-side-up storm cycle for the slopes.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.7

Snow Density: 5.4% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky:  Snow (2 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

• Like 1

I gave a quick Bolton update yesterday, but I’ll add a bit more and a few pictures.  The wind was certainly whipping around up there, but most of the lower mountain areas were reasonably sheltered, and the trees were especially nice because it seemed like a lot of snow had settled in there.  I did some depth checks in the trees and frequently found surface snow depths of 12 to 15 inches – and that was a dense 12 to 15 inches.  I’m sure some of that is from a previous storm or two, but as their afternoon report yesterday, the resort was indicating 7 inches of snow.  Boy did that snow do a solid job of resurfacing of the slopes.  If you were on the new snow there was no touching the subsurface, and you typically sunk into the powder just a few inches anyway because of the density.  I’ve got a bit more in my trip report, but you can see the fine nature of the snow grains and get a sense for some of the snow density in the images.

09JAN19F.jpg

09JAN19E.jpg

09JAN19G.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Yowza!

the snow fence is full! Skiing J with 10-12” blanket. The winds were honking by 11 and it was full on blizzard conditions

I ❤️Winter

It doesn't seem like it wants to stop snowing here.  

*I'm only posting this in the sparsely viewed NNE thread so that I don't further antagonize the on edge SNE weenies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, borderwx said:

Skies are showing signs of the sun now here in the valley. Mood flakes and some serious drifting.  

Nice to see the VAST groomers out today. The deep freeze should help seal up some of the remaining open water spots 

recovery complete from the holiday car wash

Up your way the club has groomed to where they meet the Richford club and just about everywhere else too.  Should be a good period for all winter endeavors.

• Like 1

Skies have become partly cloudy with constant snow flurries.   Maybe another 1/4" since last night but it blows around.  Coming from living most my life on the coastal plain one of the big differences is the number of days with some snow in the air.  Unlike the guys in the big upslope areas where you get major accumulations, for me its just a snow globe without accumulations.  Just 3-5 visibility stuff.  That just doesn't happen at least when I lived in Eastern Mass.

Deep Northern New England Winter......

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

It doesn't seem like it wants to stop snowing here.  

*I'm only posting this in the sparsely viewed NNE thread so that I don't further antagonize the on edge SNE weenies.

That radar up in NVT has been crushing West slopes, JSpin, probably Stowe, etc, etc. Moisture feed/upslope wont die down. Going to be some BIG mtn totals I would think

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That radar up in NVT has been crushing West slopes, JSpin, probably Stowe, etc, etc. Moisture feed/upslope wont die down. Going to be some BIG mtn totals I would think

It has been blizzard conditions all day at Stowe.  This wind and snow combo would make E.Mass proud.  I mean full whiteout sideways snows for like 30 seconds at a time.  

Very hard to tell totals but I bet pushing 20" at elevation.  Had a storm total depth of 16" this morning on board at 3000ft (no clearing, just storm depth)...had to add another half a foot today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I know Ray cant wait for the next Stowe update:lol:

Haha.

The classic evening photos walking to my car at the base of Mansfield.

Tonight was on a whole other level.  Essentially a White Hurricane at this point.  All day long.  Gusts of 50-60mph even in the base area with snowfall averaging close to 1"/hr.  Another 8-10" seemed to fall during the daylight hours.

Truly high-end winter storm stuff.

49807053_10103629837673070_6732756034168

Just now, powderfreak said:

Haha.

Tonight was on a whole other level.  Essentially a White Hurricane at this point.  All day long.  Gusts of 50-60mph even in the base area with snowfall averaging close to 1"/hr.  Another 8-10" seemed to fall during the daylight hours.

Jesus--impressive stuff.  Looks like a plains blizzard.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha.

50-60 mph?  Hmmmm, that’s a white tropical storm not hurricane :lol:

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s awesome. I remember those storms.

Definitely was thinking of you and your wind storms... ha I'm wandering around in thigh deep snow thinking, "Now I know how Scooter and those guys feel when they are trying to measure snow in an E.Mass blizzard."  I mean, no real confidence in the storm total but if I had to venture the closest thing to an estimate it would be 19" at 1,500ft in the past 36 hours.  Something like 5" yesterday, 7" overnight and 7" today... but honestly, who the f'ck knows.  If someone were to say 16" or 24" they could probably make a decent case for either, lol. 

Event totals: 20.0” Snow/1.56” L.E.

In Burlington this afternoon there were bouts of snow, but when I left around 4:00 P.M. or so, it was fairly light.  It continued to ramp up in intensity as I headed into the mountains – it was moderate in Williston, and already quite heavy by Richmond.  That heavy snow hung right through to Bolton Flats, and I couldn’t believe it, but as I approached the pass by our house it intensified even more to the point that visibility was just a couple hundred feet.  It had to be a couple inches an hour during that period, and there was no way that the plows would have been able to keep up with it.  Our road had several inches of snow on it, and even in the Subaru, getting up the driveway was tough.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 33.2

Snow Density: 3.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.6 F

Sky:  Heavy Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely was thinking of you and your wind storms... ha I'm wandering around in thigh deep snow thinking, "Now I know how Scooter and those guys feel when they are trying to measure snow in an E.Mass blizzard."  I mean, no real confidence in the storm total but if I had to venture the closest thing to an estimate it would be 19" at 1,500ft in the past 36 hours.  Something like 5" yesterday, 7" overnight and 7" today... but honestly, who the f'ck knows.  If someone were to say 16" or 24" they could probably make a decent case for either, lol. 

How do you measure snow at times like this? If snowed all day but I think we only got a couple of inches (I wrote down 1.5) but honestly, I have no idea. That's based on the grill shelves which I cleared this morning but it's been blowing all over the place. Is there a methodology to get an accurate measurement when it's like this?

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 20.0” Snow/1.56” L.E.

In Burlington this afternoon there were bouts of snow, but when I left around 4:00 P.M. or so, it was fairly light.  It continued to ramp up in intensity as I headed into the mountains – it was moderate in Williston, and already quite heavy by Richmond.  That heavy snow hung right through to Bolton Flats, and I couldn’t believe it, but as I approached the pass by our house it intensified even more to the point that visibility was just a couple hundred feet.  It has to be a couple inches an hour during that period, and there was no way that the plows would have been able to keep up with it.  Our road had several inches of snow on it, and even in the Subaru, getting up the driveway was tough.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 33.2

Snow Density: 3.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.6 F

Sky:  Heavy Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

That's literally more than 1/2 the snow I would normally get in a YEAR :weep: 
When I go up there it's 50 degrees and raining, when I go back down to CT it's snowing up north and down south. Maybe I should tell you all my travel plans so you can plan ahead for the crappy weather

1 minute ago, alex said:

How do you measure snow at times like this? If snowed all day but I think we only got a couple of inches (I wrote down 1.5) but honestly, I have no idea. That's based on the grill shelves which I cleared this morning but it's been blowing all over the place. Is there a methodology to get an accurate measurement when it's like this?

Use a snowboard. White piece of plywood or anything that is white essentially. Read up here for more

https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf