• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

745pm   32.0F   High was 32.2F.   So much slush with the snow/sleet mixture and the freezing rain.  I got it off the driveway this morning before it got too heavy.  At least no super prolonged cold to cement it in for weeks.  

My Nest cam has not been working right so just splurged on their new 4K outdoor cam.  Hopefully will get it working tomorrow.  Should be crystal clear views of wildlife/weather

So it never really warmed up today... skiing was better than it looked in this photo.... as once you cut up the glaze there was some nice sleety/sandy turns to be had.  The woods skied pretty nice. 

Upper elevations though were special where the deepest cold was locked in under ridgeline on the eastern side of the Spine.

At least it's not melting, right?  This has just added more precip to the snowpack in the form of snow/sleet/freezing rain. 

Imagine jumping on an inner-tube and sending it down this...

48987127_10103619164562070_7895000237738

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So it never really warmed up today... skiing was better than it looked in this photo.... as once you cut up the glaze there was some nice sleety/sandy turns to be had.  The woods skied pretty nice. 

Upper elevations though were special where the deepest cold was locked in under ridgeline on the eastern side of the Spine.

At least it's not melting, right?  This has just added more precip to the snowpack in the form of snow/sleet/freezing rain. 

Imagine jumping on an inner-tube and sending it down this...

48987127_10103619164562070_7895000237738

Death tubing?

Was 31.2°-32.5° all night. I see even Gene mixed out to near 40°. Getting the cold fropas in the early night is bad timing in these CAD situations. We get a few breaks aloft, but that just enhances the radiational cooling while everyone above 1000’ is clearing their walkways with 40s with matching dews. Hopefully the sun can do a little bit of damage today.

Can somebody expain this coming NY storm? I keep being asked and I don't know what to say. Both GYX and BTV are very much leaning towards warm with freezing rain - which for us usually means torch (as it did last night/today). In fact they both mention warmer than this last storm. On the other hand, it seems that most model have quite a bit of frozen and the track doesn't seem nearly as bad as this last storm. What am I missing? 

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.71” L.E.

We’ve picked up a tenth of an inch of snow thus far on the back side of this system.  There’s been a recent uptick in the snowfall out there however, so we’ll see if there’s anything else to report with this event.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Here are the latest thoughts from the BTV NWS regarding the system that’s expected to affect the area at the early part of next week:

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...

As of 339 PM EST Saturday...Warm front/warm air advection will be moving up into the region late in the day on Monday and especially Monday night. Thermal profile suggests once again we will be looked at a mixed precipitation event. At this time it looks mainly dry for much of the day on Monday with precipitation spreading from southwest to northeast across the area Monday evening and night. Thermal profile suggests a wide variety of precipitation with best chances for freezing rain and light ice accumulations over far northern New York...up near the Canadian Border. The best chance for a mix of snow and sleet and a little bit of freezing rain looks like it will be east of the Green Mountains with the best chance for accumulating snow over north central and northeast Vermont...generally 1 to 4 inches. Over the remainder of the area its looking like a brief period of mixed precipitation with a changeover to rain before midnight. Will definitely be monitoring this situation given the fact that much of this will be taking place New Years Eve night.

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing nicely again.

About an inch of fluff on the car this evening.

Snowy climate.

IMG_1715.JPG.cd05fcd7210cfa04f9731cd8ffa04d0c.JPG

It’s interesting, there’s not much visible on the radar, even in composite mode, but it’s really picked up in intensity with some big flakes up to a cm or two in diameter.  I figured it was time to find a picture for you PF…

SnowyClimate.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

Nice! Light snow here but doesn't seem to be accumulating much 

EDIT: I guess it has picked up quite a bit, I've been cooped up too much lol

Every day I have snow on the car now I think of @dendriteangrily ripping his car door open, annoyed that he has to wipe the truck off.  I can't get that out of my head...then I just watch as the wipers easily clear the snow off and the rest blows off as you drive off.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Every day I have snow on the car now I think of @dendriteangrily ripping his car door open, annoyed that he has to wipe the truck off.  I can't get that out of my head...then I just watch as the wipers easily clear the snow off and the rest blows off as you drive off.

That's all blower downy flake powder right there.

6 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Snowing now.  Solid dusting.  Glad the brief warm interlude is over.

I will measure in a few but eyeing half an inch or so. Even if really light, these upslope events are a nice way to end these damn cutters. Reminds you that it's winter even if the pattern sucks, and they cover up ice and mud so that the next few days have a nice wintry feel to them. Till the next rain, at least. :)