Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

12 hours ago, Hitman said:

I saw the same. The low angle woods and the natural snow trails are skiing good.  However the high angle off piste, at least where I’ve been, is terrible.  Just a solid crust.  Some sleet could do some good especially if we can score some on the back end.

Sleet can definitely be a nice addition to bolster the pack, and even freezing rain can do it, but the latter often brings any crust issues right back.  This storm certainly seems like it could contribute to the pack though – our forecast here only has two or three tenths of rain, and then it’s back to snow early tomorrow morning.

I did have to stick to lower angle terrain in the Bolton BC yesterday for the best turns, since the steeper you went, the more you’d touch down on the old base, but the skiing was quite good.  People were definitely skiing steeper lines if they weren’t as picky as me, but since it’s only backcountry levels of traffic, the snow was still holding up reasonably well on those pitches.  The biggest issues I found were just some stream crossings where the rains had blown out the usual snow bridges.

From my depth checks I found 5-6” of powder at 2,000’ and roughly 6” at ~2,700’ at the Bryant Cabin.  Even though the systems over the past week have been on the smaller side, the snow just kept building up, and the scene was quite wintry.  I didn’t check out the alpine trails, but out on the Nordic/Backcountry side and in the Village, the feel was very midwinter and all the holiday visitors really seemed to be having fun on the good snow and taking in the wintry vibe.

I’ve added a couple of shots from yesterday’s tour below – it’s typically a good sign when you drop you skis into a couple inches of powder in the parking lot and can get skinning right from there.

27DEC18D.jpg

27DEC18C.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

30.9F. plow guy came through. I know the guys gotta make a living, but it's expensive to us knowing it'll melt by dinner time.

Don't you have a threshold for him to come plow? I don't have my guy come unless its 4"+

Now, if he's coming to sand/salt  because of the IP/ZR, then that's different I guess.

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

you were on this yesterday.

And the Euro took a step towards what the CMC has had over the past several days, Pops a secondary east of PWM, Some of that is today here, But that would still be close to a warning event if its all snow, Weenie map, But its close.

image.thumb.png.32eb3e83d7de50cfc274e9cc695bd5fe.png

image.thumb.png.2541194369bef15dd693eba1710bb17e.png

• Like 1

Just now, dryslot said:

And the Euro took a step towards what the CMC has had over the past several days, Pops a secondary east of PWM, Some of that is today here, But that would still be close to a warning event if its all snow, Weenie map, But its close.

image.thumb.png.32eb3e83d7de50cfc274e9cc695bd5fe.png

image.thumb.png.2541194369bef15dd693eba1710bb17e.png

Also, though the WPC 3-7 map doesn't show the secondary, their winter weather maps have increased significantly the %chance of snow over 4" or sleet/ice over .25 for NYE.  Maybe just maybe this will continue to trend in the right direction, and as you posited yesterday, give us a positive surprise.

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.35” L.E.

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.7

Snow Density: 60.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.436.1 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 7.5 inches

You might have the have the coldest temp in all of VT right now with that 28F. Most everyone seems to be above freezing with some outlying 31-32F pockets it looks like. Cold air just trapped in your little magical hollow I guess.

14 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Also, though the WPC 3-7 map doesn't show the secondary, their winter weather maps have increased significantly the %chance of snow over 4" or sleet/ice over .25 for NYE.  Maybe just maybe this will continue to trend in the right direction, and as you posited yesterday, give us a positive surprise.

I'm guessing they are using the GFS, Even the Ukie looked like it was trying to pop one as well looking at that kink in the isobar as it shifted east with the primary from 0z, Cant see in between 96hrs and 120 hrs, Nothing else to look at really for now, But this is pretty close to a decent event.

12z

image.png.e04af5770584cb04e3c57fac5f0d170d.png

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, powderfreak said:

It's been snowing pretty steadily.  Now that I'm home, taking the dog for her evening walk on the Rec Path.  Almost a fresh inch at home so far and coming down.

We do live in a snowy climate up here.  Love these unexpected snowy nights.

I saw your comment about living in a snowy climate, and it made me think about the past week – we’re supposedly in a pretty poor “wintry” weather pattern around here, but in the past several days we’ve had four rounds of snow since the warm system (and now some additional wintry precipitation on the front end of this storm so far).  People who are up here for the holiday week have actually been treated to a lot of snow in the air, and with snowpack on the ground as well, they are probably getting their money’s worth.  Aside from the ungroomed/off piste skiing being firm and somewhat unfriendly because of the refreeze, there’s really not much to detract from the wintry vibe and whatever winter activities people want to enjoy on their vacation.  There’s a decent snowpack in place, and there have been rounds of fresh snow on top of it, which is about as much as one could ask I think.  We also haven’t had to deal with any of those subzero temperatures, which I have to think is a huge plus for the visitors.

You mentioning the snowy climate made me realize that even on a global scale, I bet the Northern Greens are right up there in terms of wintry vibe and days with snow in the air.  We’re not going to see many multiple hundreds of inches of snow a season the way that some of the high elevation and/or coastal ranges are, but there probably aren’t going to be a ton of places that vastly exceed 100+ days with some sort of snowfall the way it happens around here.  My guess would be places like some of the BC coastal ranges, Hokkaido, certain lake-effect spots, etc. may see a greater number of snowy days, but between being downwind of the Great Lakes and near the ocean, we’re pretty well positioned to get a lot of moisture throughout the winter.  I did a quick check through CoCoRaHS and saw that we’ve already had 44 days with snow this season, and there’s still a month to go before we hit the halfway mark.

24 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You might have the have the coldest temp in all of VT right now with that 28F. Most everyone seems to be above freezing with some outlying 31-32F pockets it looks like. Cold air just trapped in your little magical hollow I guess.

Whoops, sorry about that, it was a typo (note the 28.436.1 number) - I typed in the 36.1 F (the 1:00 PM temperature here) but somehow didn't erase the 28.4 F from earlier this morning, and it got blended into a single entry.

55 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Whoops, sorry about that, it was a typo (note the 28.436.1 number) - I typed in the 36.1 F (the 1:00 PM temperature here) but somehow didn't erase the 28.4 F from earlier this morning, and it got blended into a single entry.

Oh, lol--got it.  I thought the 28.436.1 looked a little odd.

38F here now. Had a little SN/IP to start and mostly a cold 33-38F rain.  See Bennington just to my SW is roasting up in the mid 50s

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Still have not hit freezing today.   31.3F at 430pm.  Trees are holding on to their glaze.  Note to self...  CAD always, always over performs at my location.   

Same here Gene. 21.4 for a low (probably around midnight) 31.8 for a high. It's been between 31.5 and 38.5 since about noon. Nice net gainer out of this one.