Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

:lol:    I’m trying my dam best to go up there in Feb. wife’s job FTL. I’m hoping to visit enough breweries to just stand in front of Jspin’s snowboard nude. Measure that pack. 

Ha in all honesty, that's my bread and butter.  That's how I made a name for myself up here is calling out those moose farts when the TV mets, Weather Channel, Accuweather, etc all just mention flurries or snow showers and skiers find a foot on the mountain.  All those vacationers who are like, but my app said a 30% chance of snow showers, how did that turn into a blizzard at the ski resort!?

I just know how weather interacts with these mountains and in over a decade of very close monitoring of weather here, I've seen just about everything that can happen with different set-ups, wind directions, inversions, precip, etc.  My meteorology training in terms of like physics and calculus is non-existent but I know how to read what the models are laying out and how each event will play with the mountains.  Most of mountain meteorology is just local knowledge and seeing how things play out over a long period of time...be it eastern or western mountains.  Experience goes a long way in forecasting those areas that see highly localized meso-scale weather.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha in all honesty, that's my bread and butter.  That's how I made a name for myself up here is calling out those moose farts when the TV mets, Weather Channel, Accuweather, etc all just mention flurries or snow showers and skiers find a foot on the mountain.  All those vacationers who are like, but my app said a 30% chance of snow showers, how did that turn into a blizzard at the ski resort!?

I just know how weather interacts with these mountains and in over a decade of very close monitoring of weather here, I've seen just about everything that can happen with different set-ups, wind directions, inversions, precip, etc.  My meteorology training in terms of like physics and calculus is non-existent but I know how to read what the models are laying out and how each event will play with the mountains.  Most of mountain meteorology is just local knowledge and seeing how things play out over a long period of time...be it eastern or western mountains.  Experience goes a long way in forecasting those areas that see highly localized meso-scale weather.

Keep up the good work buddy. Knowing the nuances separates the men from the Boys.  My wife’s cousin loves reading your stuff. He was telling me about how it’s so snowy there lol.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this event but I know it's not that interesting in SNE.

HRRR is giving some decent snows to NH/ME on the front end.  It has a quick 1-2" of snow/sleet here followed by a good period of icing before rain.

7rsT6fB.png

I've found the HRRR to be too cold here in several prior SWFEs this season. NAM is nada for here and much of VT as it starts as straight PL or ZR. The NAM seems to handle the thermals much better in the short range, so I'm riding that for tonight and tomorrow AM. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this event but I know it's not that interesting in SNE.

HRRR is giving some decent snows to NH/ME on the front end.  It has a quick 1-2" of snow/sleet here followed by a good period of icing before rain.

7rsT6fB.png

LOL, well your statement sort of says it all.  Anyway, despite the fact that much of the discussion in the December thread just bemoans cutter after cutter after cutter as if every storm was the same, this upcoming system is nothing like the previous one – there’s a lot more front end frozen and less liquid.  The NOHRSC plot for our site essentially shows no real change coming from this event with respect to snowpack depth or snowpack water content, so this storm could easily be a net gain for the snowpack in some places.  Most of the deterministic model runs shown snow up here to varying degrees coming up in their next several systems, so unless they’re all out to lunch there should be additions coming to the snowpack and improvements in the off piste conditions that would definitely warrant discussion.

I was actually out for a tour on the Bolton Backcountry Network today to see how the powder has been building after these past four rounds of snow, and there’s already some nice skiing in the lower angle terrain.  I’ll send along an update when I get a chance, but there are some nice conditions to potentially build on with these upcoming systems.  The deep base we’ve got right now is a great example of why it’s so good to have a big November like we did.

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL, well your statement sort of says it all.  Anyway, despite the fact that much of the discussion in the December thread just bemoans cutter after cutter after cutter as if every storm was the same, this upcoming system is nothing like the previous one – there’s a lot more front end frozen and less liquid.  The NOHRSC plot for our site essentially shows no real change coming from this event with respect to snowpack depth or snowpack water content, so this storm could easily be a net gain for the snowpack in some places.  Most of the deterministic model runs shown snow up here to varying degrees coming up in their next several systems, so unless they’re all out to lunch there should be additions coming to the snowpack and improvements in the off piste conditions that would definitely warrant discussion.

I was actually out for a tour on the Bolton Backcountry Network today to see how the powder has been building after these past four rounds of snow, and there’s already some nice skiing in the lower angle terrain.  I’ll send along an update when I get a chance, but there are some nice conditions to potentially build on with these upcoming systems.  The deep base we’ve got right now is a great example of why it’s so good to have a big November like we did.

I saw the same. The low angle woods and the natural snow trails are skiing good.  However the high angle off piste, at least where I’ve been, is terrible.  Just a solid crust.  Some sleet could do some good especially if we can score some on the back end.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

7rsT6fB.png

Like someone would say, Nobody cares whats falling on the moose, But anyways, Coming down decently here right now looking at 1-3" of snow before the changeover

KLEW 281245Z AUTO 36003KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG FEW006 OVC012 M06/M07 A3037 RMK AO2 P0001 FZRANO

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Like someone would say, Nobody cares whats falling on the moose, But anyways, Coming down decently here right now looking at 1-3" of snow before the changeover

KLEW 281245Z AUTO 36003KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG FEW006 OVC012 M06/M07 A3037 RMK AO2 P0001 FZRANO

The mid level cold air is definitely putting up a fight up there.

9CC66693-3727-498D-84AD-8AC0DA3B36A3.gif

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The mid level cold air is definitely putting up a fight up there.

9CC66693-3727-498D-84AD-8AC0DA3B36A3.gif

Pretty dense cold, Those dews were in the single digits overnight and are now on the rise, Eventually, The warmth will win out and we will changeover, But that may not happen until we reach 3" or so.

• Like 1

Had 1.5" with 0.16" LE at 7 this morning, temp was about 15 with moderate snow - probably about 3" by now.  Augusta (out side the office) maybe 1.5", changed to IP about 10:30, now IP/ZR mix, probably soon to all RA.  Back edge of precip only a few hours from home, so may not get much that's not freezing/frozen.  Biggest snow this month, would rank 4th in November, which is kinda odd.