Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Tamarack, is this you?

Nope - I'd have been in a canoe! 
(2 men from our church entered Saturday's Kenduskeag race, which they've done before.  This time the high water was too much - after 5 dumps, they were so cold that they had to look to know the paddles were in their hands; feeling was gone.  They wisely pulled out of the race at the 1st mandatory portage.)

River reached 14.1' (2.1' over flood), which does little beyond watering those parking lots.  Still over 13' this morning.  Long Pond in Belgrade still more than 1/2 ice-covered, which surprised me as I thought the warm RA would've finished ice on that pond.  Still some snow on our garden, but stake at "T" last evening, after 162 consecutive days with at least 1".

The snow in the yard has finally melted out as of today, so yesterday goes down as the final day of the season for the winter snowpack.  My data sheet indicates that this season’s snowpack was continuous from November 10th through April 21st, or 163 days.  It’s interesting to note that despite the substantial snowpack this season, it actually melted out several days earlier than it did last season for our property.

That’s it for the snowpack this season, but I guess we’ll have to see about additional snowfall as the models do show some chances for snow over the next week or so.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

That moose does not look to well.  Could you tell if it was tick covered?

We're getting into "scruffy season" when moose begin shedding winter hair ahead of the thinner summer coat.  Have not seen this process on the deer yet.  In some better news about winter ticks on moose, the survival of radio-collared calves in Maine is much improved in the past year-plus compared to the unsustainable 60% mortality a couple years back.

• Like 1

Has anyone else felt kind of discombobulated lately?  (One of my favorite words).   A week or so ago we had a snow covered landscape with endless days with the wood stove on and cold temperatures with winter jackets.  Then like magic went into spring with green grass showing, warm humid feel gentle breezes blowing through the house and birds chirping outside.  With the later sunsets too it's hard for the brain to adjust so fast.  Discombobulated is okay going from winter to spring so fast, not so much the other way around like last  October when heat and humidity came to an equally abrupt end and a couple weeks later snow fell and set in very early.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Has anyone else felt kind of discombobulated lately?  (One of my favorite words).   A week or so ago we had a snow covered landscape with endless days with the wood stove on and cold temperatures with winter jackets.  Then like magic went into spring with green grass showing, warm humid feel gentle breezes blowing through the house and birds chirping outside.  With the later sunsets too it's hard for the brain to adjust so fast.  Discombobulated is okay going from winter to spring so fast, not so much the other way around like last  October when heat and humidity came to an equally abrupt end and a couple weeks later snow fell and set in very early.

Until today it felt great. I was ready for nice weather. Today is back to mank here locally (better up there I know.) This was the first year where I really looked forward to warmth. Maybe because the kids were driving me nuts. :lol: 

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We're getting into "scruffy season" when moose begin shedding winter hair ahead of the thinner summer coat.  Have not seen this process on the deer yet.  In some better news about winter ticks on moose, the survival of radio-collared calves in Maine is much improved in the past year-plus compared to the unsustainable 60% mortality a couple years back.

The deer around here are going through it now, and they look hideous.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Tamarack and Jspin, that is very impressive. I'm not sure my wife could handle that, but I could. :lol: 

My wife is fine with it.  I don’t think she’d necessarily want it year round, but she’s in no rush for it to disappear.  We actually just made some sugar on snow a few days ago, so it was nice to have it around.  I always find it interesting when folks are in such a rush for the snow to disappear from the yard – when my grass is snow covered it takes literally zero maintenance.  Once it starts growing, it requires routine maintenance.  Fortunately the lawn’s still got about a month or so of waking up to do before it will really need attention.

18 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

My wife is fine with it.  I don’t think she’d necessarily want it year round, but she’s in no rush for it to disappear.  We actually just made some sugar on snow a few days ago, so it was nice to have it around.  I always find it interesting when folks are in such a rush for the snow to disappear from the yard – when my grass is snow covered it takes literally zero maintenance.  Once it starts growing, it requires routine maintenance.  Fortunately the lawn’s still got about a month or so of waking up to do before it will really need attention.

You usually don't have to drive that far west from you to find grass in winter, too ;).  Get into Bolton/Richmond and they often have snowpack interludes.

Only thing left around my place is still a couple huge plow piles.  One's still 8 feet high shaded by the evergreens.  All natural snow (as it lays) though has been gone for a few days.

Funny thing is you start to notice the yards that have it now.  There are still a few where you see patches.

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

WTF with the decapitated bear head? 

The only thing we can think of is it must've died last fall or during the winter and some scavenger dragged it out onto the ski trail? Found amid the moguls on the famed Goat trail.  

Weirdest nature thing I've ever heard of at Stowe, that's weirder than the moose that fell off the Kitchen Wall, landed upside down on his back in the deep snow and then died, while skiers on the traverse just saw hooves sticking up out of the snow.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The only thing we can think of is it must've died last fall or during the winter and some scavenger dragged it out onto the ski trail? Found amid the moguls on the famed Goat trail.  

Weirdest nature thing I've ever heard of at Stowe, that's weirder than the moose that fell off the Kitchen Wall, landed upside down on his back in the deep snow and then died, while skiers on the traverse just saw hooves sticking up out of the snow.

What kind of scavenger is big enough to drag that thing?

must be aliens or white walkers.

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Yes it looked like it was just shedding to me

10 hours ago, Hoth said:

What you don't see is the Prius that's buried underneath a la Pompei. 

There's a mud-season tale about a fellow on his front porch watching a hat go past, stop, and return.  The hat raised up a bit and the man wearing it said, "Good morning." 
Guy on the porch replied, "Tough walking in that mud, ain't it?"
"Who's walking?  I'm on horseback!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3