• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

We've switched over to snow down in town at 750ft... very small wind-blown flakes.  Wind is really ripping, visibility is pretty high due to the small flake size.

Looks like the entire ski area is now at or below freezing just up the road.  Has been up top for a while but just recently has the temp dropped in the base area, lowering the snow level well past 1,500ft down to the valley floor.

Top of the Gondola hasn't updated since this afternoon.  Control is 1,550ft...Gondi booster is the pumphouse on Perry Merrill...Norm's valve house is the building at the Liftline/National intersection at 2,600ft.

zT1m9aW.jpg

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've switched over to snow down in town at 750ft... very small wind-blown flakes.  Wind is really ripping, visibility is pretty high due to the small flake size.

Looks like the entire ski area is now at or below freezing just up the road.  Has been up top for a while but just recently has the temp dropped in the base area, lowering the snow level well past 1,500ft down to the valley floor.

Top of the Gondola hasn't updated since this afternoon.  Control is 1,550ft...Gondi booster is the pumphouse on Perry Merrill...Norm's valve house is the building at the Liftline/National intersection at 2,600ft.

zT1m9aW.jpg

Even down here at around 500’ it switched over to snow about an hour ago – it’s not accumulating much yet, but the temperature is getting down toward freezing now.

23 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Such a tough call..on one hand, probably enough snow overnight for one last good day at Stowe or jay...but to drive all the way there and be on wind hold all day..

It will be variable conditions.  That base is wet and it's locking up tight.  The wind is ripping and will continue to increase.  Gusts to 50mph across the ski terrain will scour and drift any new snow.  Icy with areas of powder?  Eastern surface in mid-April after a hard freeze and a little snow.

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/1.37” L.E.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.3

Snow Density: 23.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It will be variable conditions.  That base is wet and it's locking up tight.  The wind is ripping and will continue to increase.  Gusts to 50mph across the ski terrain will scour and drift any new snow.  Icy with areas of powder?  Eastern surface in mid-April after a hard freeze and a little snow.

The worst run of my life came with those conditions, though it was in January, at the old Glen Ellen.  I'd gone up the main lift prior to the ski school "grading" exercise, missed the advanced beginner trail I wanted and ended up on a high-end intermediate named Hoot Mon.  It was all icy moguls with soft powder in the hollows and I crashed about 20 times before reaching the bottom.  Somewhere in that disaster I parted company with all my travelers' checks.  Not all bad, however - my having gone up the mountain earlier got me kicked up to the beginning parallel class rather than the advanced stem.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I was just checking the Sugarbush Webcams, and I see that the changeover to snow has definitely started at the upper cam at 3,900’.  It looks like they built some snowmen on the camera snowboard in celebration.  From what I see in the forecast, accumulations are supposed to make it all the way down to the lower mountain valleys.

there was a snow man on the mid mtn cam last week, and now its gone and there are two on the summit cam so it must've climbed/skinned up over the weekend.  reported 2" last night.

I just happen to see that Loon is closed.  On their website, they said thank you for a great season.  202" of snow.  How can this be?  Only 30 miles north of me, double my amount of 100"  and they get no big upslope?  

Alex at 177" and he is in a much better area,  higher in elevation, gets upslope and is further north.  What did Bretton Woods report this season?

Okay a couple of feet of an exaggeration but this seems ridiculous,  or is it?

55 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just happen to see that Loon is closed.  On their website, they said thank you for a great season.  202" of snow.  How can this be?  Only 30 miles north of me, double my amount of 100"  and they get no big upslope?  

Alex at 177" and he is in a much better area,  higher in elevation, gets upslope and is further north.  What did Bretton Woods report this season?

Wildcat reporting 182" and like 30" of that was in October/early November.  I would've thought they'd get more than Loon.

But man, is that all the snow they got this season?  There are a good handful of CoCoRAHS stations in VT with more snowfall than Cannon and Wildcat.

Looking through the Whites snowfall totals definitely reminds me why the VT areas are known for their powder.  Smuggs and Jay are reporting more than twice the Wildcat total.  Stowe's now at 308" but it's likely a little low due to early season snow reporting issues.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Wildcat reporting 182" and like 30" of that was in October/early November.  I would've thought they'd get more than Loon.

But man, is that all the snow they got this season?  There are a good handful of CoCoRAHS stations in VT with more snowfall than that.

Looking through the Whites snowfall totals definitely reminds me why the VT areas are known for their powder.  Smuggs and Jay are reporting more than twice the Wildcat total.  Stowe's now at 308" but it's likely a little low due to early season snow reporting issues.

PF,  Vermonts the way to go for snow!  Wow on 308"

Hey you were the one that turned me on to Weatherbell years ago.  I really thank you for that.  They just switched to the new format and maybe my 62 year old brain can't figure it out.  Are you having problems?  I tried calling them and asking if I could speak to someone to explain my questions and they said no. Could I PM you and ask you a few questions?  Really would appreciate it.  Thanks

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

PF,  Vermonts the way to go for snow!  Wow on 308"

Hey you were the one that turned me on to Weatherbell years ago.  I really thank you for that.  They just switched to the new format and maybe my 62 year old brain can't figure it out.  Are you having problems?  I tried calling them and asking if I could speak to someone to explain my questions and they said no. Could I PM you and ask you a few questions?  Really would appreciate it.  Thanks

I hate the new WxBell page though I usually end my subscription in April anyway.  I haven't spent any serious time in the new page, just find it clunky and have been using the legacy page though it now looks like that'll be retired soon.  But wait, you called them and asked about some questions and they said no one could talk or answer them for you?  What customer service.  You can PM me and I can see if I can help but I really haven't looked at anything in the new site with any detail.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Bretton Woods reported 202-244. Loon should definitely be lower. My total is a bit higher than 177 - I haven't updated in a while but certainly lower than 200. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

But man, is that all the snow they got this season?  There are a good handful of CoCoRAHS stations in VT with more snowfall than Cannon and Wildcat.

308" at 3K? I always forget where the official Stowe total comes from.