• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

.6" last night in what should be the final snowfall of the season here in South Portland.  That makes for 65.9" on the season.

25 events

Largest of 6.8" on 1/20

Nov - 4 events  | 14.4"

Dec - 2 events  |  6.5"

Jan - 7 events  |  20.2"

Feb - 6 events  |  11.1"

Mar - 4 events  |  10.9"

Apr - 2 events  |  2.9"

12 hours ago, klw said:

1.5 inches today.  April total is now higher than December's.

Sign of Spring- My FEDCO pear tree order arrived. If only there wasn't a two foot thick glacier where I want to plant them.

Same here, by 0.2".  3.5" yesterday included 3" 4:40-6:15 PM, with 1.7" in the final 35 minutes of that period, moist 12:1 snowball stuff.

IMG_0888.JPG

• Like 1

50 hours now of below freezing temperature. Yesterday's snowfall brought me to 100 in and that may be it for the season. Landscapers around here are not happy many of them did not get their fall clean ups done in time before the early November snow came and now it's late in the season with a snow cover and lots of rain coming up. At least they made a ton of money plowing this winter

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

No spring thread ? 

Too early.   In NNE, we have the following seasons:

Winter:  Dec 1 to April 1,

Mud:     April 1 to May 15

Spring:  May 15 to July 12

Summer: July 12

Where did summer go:  July 13 to Sept 1

Leaves:   Sept 1 to Nov 1

Careful in the Woods:  Nov 1 to Dec 1

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:45 AM, backedgeapproaching said:

2200ft-Diamond Pond COOP---as the others stated- somewhat limited data set.

Yeah it sucks we had to shutter so many coops over the last few years, but we already have more than most offices and the order was to trim our numbers. While they are volunteers, the equipment and maintenance cost money, so that's the big driver. And we have quite a few coops in that area already, so they got the ax (in reality they just weren't replaced when the previous observer quit). It's just unfortunate that there are large differences in QPF/snowfall over short distances in that area.

I kept an eye on the rivers on my drive up to Carrabassett yesterday. There is a lot of snow on ground in western maine but the rivers don't seem to bad. I paid attention to the Carrabassett river - south of Kingfield, it is ice free. just beyond (west) Kingfield still clogged and covered in ice. I took a wrong turn in Jay and ended up driving alongside the androscoggin (east side) for some time and it too didn't seem bad.

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah it sucks we had to shutter so many coops over the last few years, but we already have more than most offices and the order was to trim our numbers. While they are volunteers, the equipment and maintenance cost money, so that's the big driver. And we have quite a few coops in that area already, so they got the ax (in reality they just weren't replaced when the previous observer quit). It's just unfortunate that there are large differences in QPF/snowfall over short distances in that area.

Hope there's enough $$ to replace the observer in Farmington - be really sad to cut off a 125-year record that's 99%+ complete (though snow depth is dodgey or absent prior to the current observer's tenure.)  That observer is in his mid-80s, I think.  Not many sites in Maine have solid records of 100+ years; probably could count them on my fingers. 

I kept an eye on the rivers on my drive up to Carrabassett yesterday. There is a lot of snow on ground in western maine but the rivers don't seem to bad. I paid attention to the Carrabassett river - south of Kingfield, it is ice free. just beyond (west) Kingfield still clogged and covered in ice. I took a wrong turn in Jay and ended up driving alongside the androscoggin (east side) for some time and it too didn't seem bad.

No surprise, as those watersheds have barely gotten above 50 this spring, so the pack has settled more than melted, and the last rain of any significance was 3 weeks ago.  The "best" is yet to come.  I'd be surprised if the riverside-west parking lots in Augusta are usable Tuesday morning.

3 hours ago, alex said:

Skiing was epic today! Resort closes tomorrow, but I'm assuming today will be my last day (at least at Bretton Woods). 

The glades STILL skied well. They've been open non stop since before Thanksgiving. That's rather remarkable. 

24964AAC-4D50-4DD1-BE6F-36C4C316A734.jpeg

Always great to go out on top.

7 hours ago, alex said:

Skiing was epic today! Resort closes tomorrow, but I'm assuming today will be my last day (at least at Bretton Woods). 

The glades STILL skied well. They've been open non stop since before Thanksgiving. That's rather remarkable. 

Nice dude!  Your kids have no idea how lucky they will be to have a ski area for a neighbor.

This graph summarizes the snow depth surplus this season.

Best snow depth season in town since I moved here in 2010, though I think 2010-2011 was more snowy in terms of actual inches that fell, the snow this year was dense low-ratio and it stuck around from the very beginning.

*Graph from WFO BTV.

B4zLx0w.png

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice dude!  Your kids have no idea how lucky they will be to have a ski area for a neighbor.

Haha yeah I hope they will appreciate it. Tough to tell. It's rural here, no doubt. Luckily because of the demographics of this specific resort there's also a lot of VERY successful people around, and because of our job most of the people we hang out with are CEOs and entrepreneurs. But it's an island surrounded by some pretty extreme poverty and apathy. Still, I think it's a great place to raise a kid. 

23 minutes ago, alex said:

Haha yeah I hope they will appreciate it. Tough to tell. It's rural here, no doubt. Luckily because of the demographics of this specific resort there's also a lot of VERY successful people around, and because of our job most of the people we hang out with are CEOs and entrepreneurs. But it's an island surrounded by some pretty extreme poverty and apathy. Still, I think it's a great place to raise a kid. 

Sort of the story all across NNE. There are pockets of poverty across the entire area that get somewhat masked by being basically in the backyard of some of the wealthiest people in the world. I’d like to think we do a bit better than some areas of the country but there can still be some stark differences. 

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Sort of the story all across NNE. There are pockets of poverty across the entire area that get somewhat masked by being basically in the backyard of some of the wealthiest people in the world. I’d like to think we do a bit better than some areas of the country but there can still be some stark differences. 

Same story here in Addison and Rutland counties, especially with the lakes and at the resorts. You get people scrambling to make a living, a lot of Section 8 housing in communities such as Fair Haven, and then families with 2nd and 3rd homes on Bomoseen, Lake St. Catherine, and Champlain, with $75k trucks pulling $60k bass boats.  The disparities are stark and tough, especially when you see friends listed in the annual Town Report as delinquent on taxes.  Ouch.

1.13 inches of rain, with a decent round of thunderstorms during the night.  Much more rain fell in Rutland County, especially the western side, with many reports of 2.5 inches or more.  Poultney takes the cake right now, with 2.92 inches via a CoCoRaHs station. 

Otter Creek is going to be well over its banks.  The swamps of Pittsford, Brandon, Sudbury, and Cornwall are going to turn into expansive lakes for the two weeks.

12 hours ago, alex said:

You pretty much described this area too... as mreaves said, there's some big disparity even in the same towns in NNE. 

19 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was just checking the Sugarbush Webcams, and I see that the changeover to snow has definitely started at the upper cam at 3,900’.  It looks like they built some snowmen on the camera snowboard in celebration.  From what I see in the forecast, accumulations are supposed to make it all the way down to the lower mountain valleys.

From a friends video it looked to be snowing down to 2000ft at Stowe an hour ago.  I've got 3-5" for Mansfield tonight.