Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Sell the srn edge of that weenie graphic, but Tamarack may be in for some fun.

April snow comes in bunches if at all.  Since moving here, 37% of the cumulative snowfall came in 2007, 16% in 2011, and 47% in the other 18 years.  Maybe 2019 is snowy April #3?

I imagine that, for 2018-19, Caribou is near their all-time record for SDD days. 

158.5" on the season so far, with another 4"+ on the way tonight.  Snow depth is currently 23" - not bad for April 8th.  They have had 6"+ depth since 11/14/2018, although the thaw in the last half of December dented the sizable snowpack quite a bit.  The snowpack recovered nicely at the new year.

42 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I imagine that, for 2018-19, Caribou is near their all-time record for SDD days. 

158.5" on the season so far, with another 4"+ on the way tonight.  Snow depth is currently 23" - not bad for April 8th.  They have had 6"+ depth since 11/14/2018, although the thaw in the last half of December dented the sizable snowpack quite a bit.  The snowpack recovered nicely at the new year.

NWS CAR tweeted out a graphic---looks like they are in 9th place for 1" or greater, but only need 8 days to get to the #1 spot. So it seems like a lock.

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Might be close, but 2007=08, with its 198" total, would be a contender, as would 1976-77 when they reached 62" for their greatest depth.

Going back to an earlier post, I was incorrect about 1984 covr lasting into May - only made it to 4/28 though May 4-5 had 1" cover each day thanks to a late storm.  Temps on Cinco de Mayo were 35/29.  It was 1982 that ran thru May 3 - fewer SDDs despite the April 7-8 blizzard, but 3° colder month than 4/84.

Edit:  CAR's record is only 155 days?  I'm at 150 today - Nov. 10 on - and with 23 currently at the stake (3 new today and still a bit to come) we'll either reach 160 or have serious flooding.  I should check Rangeley or Jackman to see if they've gone a lot longer. 

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Might be close, but 2007=08, with its 198" total, would be a contender, as would 1976-77 when they reached 62" for their greatest depth.

Going back to an earlier post, I was incorrect about 1984 covr lasting into May - only made it to 4/28 though May 4-5 had 1" cover each day thanks to a late storm.  Temps on Cinco de Mayo were 35/29.  It was 1982 that ran thru May 3 - fewer SDDs despite the April 7-8 blizzard, but 3° colder month than 4/84.

Edit:  CAR's record is only 155 days?  I'm at 150 today - Nov. 10 on - and with 23 currently at the stake (3 new today and still a bit to come) we'll either reach 160 or have serious flooding.  I should check Rangeley or Jackman to see if they've gone a lot longer. 

Nope. 162 and 160 respectively.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Try this.  The pond is in Coleman State Park which is located between Colebrook and Dixville Notch

https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/coleman-state-park.aspx 

Thank you!  Looks like Stewartstown is the town, right at 45N and 1,100+ feet ASL. 

I know it can be difficult to get accurate data in the north country...but their normal snowfall is probably around 160-200"?     

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Is Diamond Pond an actual town...or just a pond? :o

I tried looking for info, but couldn't find much.

2200ft-Diamond Pond COOP---as the others stated- somewhat limited data set.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html?_page=2&state=NH&foreign=false&stationID=271968&_target3=Next+>

https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

image.png.a49f6892f62569fc7e2bb31906dedd29.png

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

And that 210.7" average is skewed by the part-season 19" before they went off line.  Sum of the months comes to 222.6".

23 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Thru March 31, this season is in 5th place, but there was 22" on the ground after yesterday and I expect them to easily make it to 3rd.  Would need some serious new snow to challenge the top 2.  Surprisingly, to me, 2007-08 when they broke their snowfall record (by 16"), SDDs are only 7th most.

CAR SDDs
76-77   4,092   Deepest @ 62" in late Feb
54-55   4,039   2nd snowiest winter
68-69   3,749  
97-98   3,560
18-19   3,483   Thru 3/31.  I expect 3,800 or a bit above as final
81-82   3,262   Snowiest April, including 26.3" blizzard
07-08   3,212   Snowiest winter

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Thanks for the info on Diamond Pond...good stuff!  Definitely a snowy place, at least based on the 15 years of data. Even in the inferno of 1997-98, they still saw 161".

Their November snowfall is very impressive...gets the seasonal snowpack going right away.

without being able to totally zero in on that location, the area right around it is over 2k feet elevation.

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Thru March 31, this season is in 5th place, but there was 22" on the ground after yesterday and I expect them to easily make it to 3rd.  Would need some serious new snow to challenge the top 2.  Surprisingly, to me, 2007-08 when they broke their snowfall record (by 16"), SDDs are only 7th most.

CAR SDDs
76-77   4,092   Deepest @ 62" in late Feb
54-55   4,039   2nd snowiest winter
68-69   3,749  
97-98   3,560
18-19   3,483   Thru 3/31.  I expect 3,800 or a bit above as final
81-82   3,262   Snowiest April, including 26.3" blizzard
07-08   3,212   Snowiest winter

Interesting that 1976-77 was only CAR's 9th snowiest on record, with 145.9". A very cold winter.

Even though 2018-19 will likely be 3rd in SDD, it will be #1 in consecutive days with 1"+ depth.

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Thanks for the info on Diamond Pond...good stuff!  Definitely a snowy place, at least based on the 15 years of data. Even in the inferno of 1997-98, they still saw 161".

Their November snowfall is very impressive...gets the seasonal snowpack going right away.

And that 161 came w/o Oct/Nov, while nearby (and 500' lower) 1st CT Lake was getting 34" during those 2 months.  97-98 was warm but wet, and northerly places got lots of snow.  During the bigh NE/PQ ice storm in Jan 1998, Diamond Pond was in the warm layer with 40s RA, but northern Maine had a 5-day snowstorm dumping 19-27" (while central NNE trees were torn limb from limb, SNE had cold RA, and NYC area had 60s.)

Interesting that 1976-77 was only CAR's 9th snowiest on record, with 145.9". A very cold winter.

Sustained cold Nov-Feb was the key, until March - 3/77 is CAR's warmest on record.  That was my first winter keeping daily depth records, and my riverside location in Ft. Kent peaked at 54" after an early March dump.  Even when March warmed (2nd week had a 4-day run of mid 50s) there was little/no rain, and when temps dropped back to near normal, the pack west of Allagash was so solid that for 3+ weeks we could walk anywhere w/o snowshoes.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And that 161 came w/o Oct/Nov, while nearby (and 500' lower) 1st CT Lake was getting 34" during those 2 months.  97-98 was warm but wet, and northerly places got lots of snow.  During the bigh NE/PQ ice storm in Jan 1998, Diamond Pond was in the warm layer with 40s RA, but northern Maine had a 5-day snowstorm dumping 19-27" (while central NNE trees were torn limb from limb, SNE had cold RA, and NYC area had 60s.)

Sustained cold Nov-Feb was the key, until March - 3/77 is CAR's warmest on record.  That was my first winter keeping daily depth records, and my riverside location in Ft. Kent peaked at 54" after an early March dump.  Even when March warmed (2nd week had a 4-day run of mid 50s) there was little/no rain, and when temps dropped back to near normal, the pack west of Allagash was so solid that for 3+ weeks we could walk anywhere w/o snowshoes.

Crazy to think that CAR's SDD record was set in 1976-77, when 3/77 was their all-time warmest.  More evidence that the climate in NNE is so favorable for winter lovers...not just for "events", but for all-encompassing wintry appeal.

IMBY in the far NW suburbs of Chicago, it's a totally different ballgame.  We only average 40" of snow annually, plus retention is horrendous.  We're lucky if we have one full week with double-digit snowpack over the course of a winter.  January normals are 30/15...just cold enough to give us decent wintry conditions when the pattern is good...but unfortunately things can go off the rails quickly.  We're kind of in the middle of what I call the "Midwest winter gradient".  Go 150 miles north, and it's a very solid wintry climate.  Go 150 miles south, and winter is essentially non-existent. 

Thanks for indulging me in the joy of NNE wintry climo. :)

22 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Crazy to think that CAR's SDD record was set in 1976-77, when 3/77 was their all-time warmest.  More evidence that the climate in NNE is so favorable for winter lovers...not just for "events", but for all-encompassing wintry appeal.

IMBY in the far NW suburbs of Chicago, it's a totally different ballgame.  We only average 40" of snow annually, plus retention is horrendous.  We're lucky if we have one full week with double-digit snowpack over the course of a winter.  January normals are 30/15...just cold enough to give us decent wintry conditions when the pattern is good...but unfortunately things can go off the rails quickly.  We're kind of in the middle of what I call the "Midwest winter gradient".  Go 150 miles north, and it's a very solid wintry climate.  Go 150 miles south, and winter is essentially non-existent. 

Thanks for indulging me in the joy of NNE wintry climo. :)

Good stuff in this thread. 

Water levels seemed high over the past few days...went to BTV and stuff along RT 100 and then the Winooski River were all looking pretty high. 

Long term, a bigger QPF event looks possible next Sun/Mon.  So far the lower elevations have melted pretty well without any real hydro issues.

We`ll have to keep an eye on any hydro concerns with a warming temperatures,
decent QPF and a ripe snowpack (Mt Mansfield still boasts an impressive 116").

NW35LEq.png

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.52” L.E.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.5

Snow Density: 13.3% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches