Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

2 hours ago, borderwx said:

What is this heavy snow you speak of Jspin? :)

IMG_2782-357x450.jpg

Tale of two seasons at Burke this weekend

Pow feast yesterday and a Spring feast today

love March.

Hehe, nice.  Love March indeed.  March and April can be some of the best months of the year – deep snowpack, elevation storms, comfortable temperatures for being on the hill, etc.  More regionally though, the greatness of this time of year can be kind of drowned out by the bitching and moaning about the weather during these months.

I was a bit surprised to wake up to almost 1" this morning.  The late news didn't think there would really be any accumulation as far south as Barre/Montpelier.  Memorial Drive, the road from Exit 8 to Montpelier, was glare ice this morning.  A woman in front of me tried to stop at a red light and did a 360° spin out into the median.  She was ok but looked a little shook up.

Took a ride from mount Washington Cog over to N Conway . What a gradient at the end of that trip. Places like Bartlett still looked to be hit pretty hard but when you got close toward Glen and the Red Parka Pub big drop off and again drop off in intervale on 302. Places by attitash and NW of attitash were deep.

Went up the cog side of Washington and man is it freaky deep (for me) 2850’ was as high as I could go and they got a solid 45”  on ground in the woods

Wow, that is an impressive picture. I think I've seen that once before long ago. 1969 I presume. Jay Peak is the only major NE ski area I've never skied. I have a hard time justifying the drive given I'm primarily a day skier. Of course, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday morning at 4AM to ski Sugarloaf!

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

Wow, that is an impressive picture. I think I've seen that once before long ago. 1969 I presume. Jay Peak is the only major NE ski area I've never skied. I have a hard time justifying the drive given I'm primarily a day skier. Of course, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday morning at 4AM to ski Sugarloaf!

Actually that's a 'vintage' :lol: pic I took in April 2001.  Courtesy of a disposable camera, sun bleaching, and a blown out scanner. 

12 minutes ago, alex said:

You can start seeing some diurnal increases in the river downstream from us. Pretty cool. Stake at 31" so still a long way to go. 

I’m usually pretty happy to have this much snow on the ground on February 27, for March 27 it’s pretty rare. I’m at 1200’ but driving up the hill it gets deep after 1500’ or so as PF pointed out. 

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

6 to 12 Monday?

I hadn’t looked at anything in a couple of days, but the latest GFS, FV3-GFS, and ICON runs as of this morning all show that second area of low pressure form along the front that seems to be responsible for the more substantial snows.  Essentially every model shows some snow in the Sunday to Monday timeframe, it’s just a matter of how much.  The BTV NWS isn’t talking about the wintry aspect in their discussions yet, as they’ve been more focused on the flood potential.  They’re happy that temperature trends have been favorable though:

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

However, while overnight lows will be above normal in the 30s/40s, model trends over the past few days have been towards only slightly above normal highs in the 40s/50s Saturday and 30s/40s Sunday. This would indicate slower runoff from snowmelt and less potential for flooding impacts. In fact, the latest MMEFS guidance for the mainstem rivers only shows potential for action stage levels. Still bears monitoring, but trends are our friend for flood potential.

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’m usually pretty happy to have this much snow on the ground on February 27, for March 27 it’s pretty rare. I’m at 1200’ but driving up the hill it gets deep after 1500’ or so as PF pointed out. 

30" at the stake this morning, but today will end the streak of 30"+ pack after 43 days, a run 2nd only to 2008 when we had a 62-day streak.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, powderfreak said:

Mansfield is just loaded with snow.  It's hard to even ski the glades because you are skiing in the tree canopy.  All the branches that are normally trimmed are at like knee height.  I'm 6'3" and can barely get through a bunch of areas.

Mountain is a playground.

Lots of folks teed it up off the Chin yesterday. 

UlwrkoP.jpg

Oh man, the Mansfield alpine looked so good on Sunday!  You can see all the routes that people have been skiing in your pic, and even the Adam’s Apple seemed to have lots of skiable lines!  We didn’t head up because our afternoon was spent skiing The Bruce, but I couldn’t help ogling the sites and snapping some images.  I’ve got a couple images below that I took.  Is that large snowfield (zoomed in the second image) the Rock Garden?  It doesn’t even look like it because it’s so filled in, but I definitely want to hear there for some turns.  It’s so great seeing all the great lines that people have been taking with this deep snowpack.

24MAR19B.jpg

24MAR19C.jpg

Kind of a depressingly cold morning.   Temp just fell 2F to 36F with light rain.  Earlier this week it looked like today and tomorrow would be around 60F for me.   Doesn't look like that will happen.  

Snow stake down to around 4".  Good melt yesterday with bare spots appearing south slope and under apple trees while its still a couple feet deep in the woods

22 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Oh man, the Mansfield alpine looked so good on Sunday!  You can see all the routes that people have been skiing in your pic, and even the Adam’s Apple seemed to have lots of skiable lines!  We didn’t head up because our afternoon was spent skiing The Bruce, but I couldn’t help ogling the sites and snapping some images.  I’ve got a couple images below that I took.  Is that large snowfield (zoomed in the second image) the Rock Garden?  It doesn’t even look like it because it’s so filled in, but I definitely want to hear there for some turns.  It’s so great seeing all the great lines that people have been taking with this deep snowpack.

24MAR19C.jpg

Yup that's the Rock Garden.  Completely filled in to almost a western bowl type status.

That would be a great corn snow run this spring...wait for a hard freeze and then hit it when the top inch or two is peel away corn.  What a fun run and then you get dropped off on Upper Perry Merrill and realize you still have 2,000 vertical feet to go.