Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.07” L.E.

There’s no snow falling and it looks like it starting to clear out, so the above totals should be the final number for Winter Storm Ryan at our site.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 1.6 F

Sky:  Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 31.0 inches

5.0" of fluff from the clipper here. Depth ranges from 25-35", with an average around 30". Not bad, but not epic either.

Hopefully Sunday night produces. My one worry is that the Saturday system strengthens too much compressing the height field SE out ahead of the 2nd storm, keeping the best snows SE of us. 18z GFS depicts this. 12z Euro would be a nice hit for most of NNE though.

53050710_1915126931931987_2885117381707825152_o.jpg

• Like 3

While our weather may be a bit boring at the moment, I started tapping the maples which gave me a really good reminder of how deep the pack is. When you sink, you sink deep! My dog started digging and hit something... I went to check it out, it was the top of my wheelbarrow buried under the snow! It's a bit unreal to feel like you're walking on a surface and realize that the ground is several feet below you. Also cool to notice that the tags that I placed on some trees at eye level are now around waste level. A bit surreal - and not something you really appreciate by just "looking at the snowpack". Took this picture in one of my "breakthroughs". And of course there's more snow under my foot!

BACB5BB2-9C97-4744-9845-BA78FEB8DDA8.jpeg

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sap flowing well? My coworker hasn’t tapped yet. 

Nope. I started yesterday.  Yesterday there seemed to be some nice dripping with the sun out but it didn't amount to anything, and today there wasn't anything at all. I wasn't expecting much, but I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather to tap. It's coming, one way or another

2 hours ago, alex said:

While our weather may be a bit boring at the moment, I started tapping the maples which gave me a really good reminder of how deep the pack is. When you sink, you sink deep! My dog started digging and hit something... I went to check it out, it was the top of my wheelbarrow buried under the snow! It's a bit unreal to feel like you're walking on a surface and realize that the ground is several feet below you. Also cool to notice that the tags that I placed on some trees at eye level are now around waste level. A bit surreal - and not something you really appreciate by just "looking at the snowpack". Took this picture in one of my "breakthroughs". And of course there's more snow under my foot!

BACB5BB2-9C97-4744-9845-BA78FEB8DDA8.jpeg

What the heck are those?!  That’s not a traditional bucket!

Looks like they will be getting some snow down south, which is good.  Meanwhile, I spent a good part of the weekend enjoying what we already have.

The first two were taken in the Groton State Forest not to far from me.  The last one was taken near Island Pond, VT  Lots of snow up there and really just about all of VT east of the CPV.  I'd like a few small refreshers to make sure the season goes for a few more weeks.  I guess there aren't any big warm-ups in the immediate future so we should get past my self-imposed cut-off date of March 15th, usually by then I'm ready for the snow to start giving way to fairways and greens.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0909 (1).jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like they will be getting some snow down south, which is good.  Meanwhile, I spent a good part of the weekend enjoying what we already have.
The first two were taken in the Groton State Forest not to far from me.  The last one was taken near Island Pond, VT  Lots of snow up there and really just about all of VT east of the CPV.  I'd like a few small refreshers to make sure the season goes for a few more weeks.  I guess there aren't any big warm-ups in the immediate future so we should get past my self-imposed cut-off date of March 15th, usually by then I'm ready for the snow to start giving way to fairways and greens.
IMG_0924.jpg.365f266826289b82fcf95e111643d47b.jpg
163899108_IMG_0909(1).jpg.abd5e2d995009bce00432b3946f97a92.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg.87c32bff33e3b36c66dccccdb3526f57.jpg
Looks great

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.07” L.E.

The system affecting us right now has been named Winter Storm Scott, and the forecast here does have the chance for a bit more snow, but it doesn’t sound like it’s anything too substantial.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 31.0 inches

February totals: 30.1” Snow/3.56” L.E.

I hadn’t posted February totals yet, so I’m passing those along now.  After the robust January, it was definitely a lean February with roughly 75% of average snowfall and a total close to 1 S.D. below the mean.  The first half of the month was just about on track with average snowfall thanks to help from Winter Storm Maya, but it was the second half of the month that fell short with only about 10 inches of snow.

4" of snow last night  brings me to 87" for the season

I'm really happy for the SNE guys.  Really nice to see the Boston area get 12-18".   All those poor peeps down there really needed at least one good snowfall.

Cold week but no big systems on the horizon.  We may be at max snowfall on the ground as the March sun gets stronger daily.  Still time for another big one or two but once we get to this point in the season Im ready to turn corners.

I was watching TWC channel yesterday late afternoon with so many tornadoes on the ground at once.  So to see so many lives lost and property damage.

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm really happy for the SNE guys.  Really nice to see the Boston area get 12-18".   All those poor peeps down there really needed at least one good snowfall.

Cold week but no big systems on the horizon.  We may be at max snowfall on the ground as the March sun gets stronger daily.  Still time for another big one or two but once we get to this point in the season Im ready to turn corners.

I was watching TWC channel yesterday late afternoon with so many tornadoes on the ground at once.  So to see so many lives lost and property damage.

My traditional corner turning date is March 15th.  This year seems like we are already past that date as our snowpack started earlier than usual.

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yes, its been a brutal 15 year stretch for them..lol.  But yea,  looked like a sweet storm though down there.

2.9" here..right around where you are---86.1" for season. Although had like 27-30" in Nov, so MET winter is about 55" or so.

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My traditional corner turning date is March 15th.  This year seems like we are already past that date as our snowpack started earlier than usual.

I've had 1"+ of snow cover since November 12th.  The mountain has had deep well above average cover since November.  This winter has felt like it has been extremely long already.

Start the snow cover season at 750ft elevation during the second week of November and then start March with 2 feet of dense water-logged stuff on the ground... it has been winter for a very long time already.  I was just outside and everything is still really buried.  Neighbors grill is buried up to the side tables, fences just have top post showing, you can trip over the top of picnic tables (shin height) along the Rec Path, etc.

This stuff will take a long time to melt too.

This time of the year we really start to see the snow depth differences between the western side communities and the eastern towns.

When I went to BTV last week I was shocked at how in a matter of literally like 3 miles you go from 24-30+" depths in Waterbury near J.Spin to like 4-8" as you drive on I-89. 

With very little elevation change.  You just pop out west of the Spine and it's like, wtf just happened?

When we left Williston and drove home to Stowe, even my wife who doesn't usually give a sh*t was commenting on how driving from Waterbury to Stowe with 2 feet or more of dense snow on the ground, huge snowbanks, etc looks like another planet compared to 40 minutes away shopping at the box stores in Williston.

CoCoRAHS shows the sharp gradient with 31" at J.Spin, 24.5" in Stowe Village and then Underhill/Jerhico are 4-12".

March_3_SnowCover.gif.20e7c96fa5b48af8167158efede2adb0.gif

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This time of the year we really start to see the snow depth differences between the western side communities and the eastern towns.

When I went to BTV last week I was shocked at how in a matter of literally like 3 miles you go from 24-30" depths in Waterbury near J.Spin to like 4-8" as you drive on I-89. 

With very little elevation change.  You just pop out west of the Spine and it's like, wtf just happened?

When we left Williston and drove home to Stowe, even my wife who doesn't usually give a sh*t was commenting on how driving from Waterbury to Stowe with 2 feet or more of dense snow on the ground, huge snowbanks, etc looks like another planet compared to 40 minutes away shopping at the box stores in Williston.

CoCoRAHS shows the sharp gradient with 31" at J.Spin, 24.5" in Stowe Village and then Underhill/Jerhico are 4-12".

March_3_SnowCover.gif.20e7c96fa5b48af8167158efede2adb0.gif

I noticed this on my visit as well. A huge jump very quickly into Waterbury and big depths near Moss Glenn Falls (not the stowe one) along 100

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Start the snow cover season at 750ft elevation during the second week of November and then start March with 2 feet of dense water-logged stuff on the ground... it has been winter for a very long time already. 

My snowcover started on November 12th.   There was a brief break around Christmas when my south facing fields briefly lost snow.    It has seemed like a long winter.  The big elevated elevated November snows helped me out with my 87".  Since then lots of medium size storms with snow to sleet/freezing rain to end and then freeze ups.  Starting now I want the seasons to quickly change and get frustrated with back door cold fronts and mud as much of the rest of the US starts a quick transition into spring.