Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

High-end, almost historic, snowpack continues with a 102" depth registered yesterday, and 101" for today at the MMNV1 Stake.

This is the second deepest depth on record for yesterday and today...the only year higher was 1969 with 108".

z500FZS.jpg

That's impressive given the flat line December, and the solid rain event that didn't make a dent.

Another head scratching forecast... P&C gives 80% chance of snow over the weekend with no mention of mixing; AFD says:

Mixed precipitation will transition to rain in southern New
Hampshire and coastal and southern interior Maine. Farther
north a mix of sleet and freezing rain will persist through
the day...especially in the mountains where significant ice
accumulation will be possible. 

#confused

1 minute ago, alex said:

Another head scratching forecast... P&C gives 80% chance of snow over the weekend with no mention of mixing; AFD says:

Mixed precipitation will transition to rain in southern New
Hampshire and coastal and southern interior Maine. Farther
north a mix of sleet and freezing rain will persist through
the day...especially in the mountains where significant ice
accumulation will be possible. 

#confused

I think you're relatively safe in this next one. Biggest thing is the window for lift is so short that I don't think you have time to warm up aloft before it comes to an end. Worst case you hear a few pings before it ends. You're in a solid advisory-level snowfall now.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think you're relatively safe in this next one. Biggest thing is the window for lift is so short that I don't think you have time to warm up aloft before it comes to an end. Worst case you hear a few pings before it ends. You're in a solid advisory-level snowfall now.

I hope so! I'm sick of mixed events. Yesterday was perfect. Sure, the depth keeps increasing but untainted events are much more enjoyable 

Early this morning at around 3 AM I got a text alert that we’ve been put under a Winter Weather Advisory for the anticipated effects of Winter Storm Petra.  The point forecast for our locations suggests accumulations in the 3-5” range, which seems consistent with the projected accumulations map from the BTV NWS.  Latest maps are below:

20FEB19A.jpg

20FEB19B.jpg

15 hours ago, MBRI said:

69 will be beat.

Gotta withstand the big dog of late Feb. that year.  Pinkham Notch measured 77" over 4 days from that one, building their pack to 164", tallest I've seen for a New England site.  I'd guess it's the most east of the Rockies.  (MWN measured - somehow, in 100+ winds - 98" but most of it wound up in Tucks.)

1 minute ago, borderwx said:

Another 3.5”. 

23, heavy horizontal snow from the south

Just an inch or so of dense stuff over a coating of ice.  PF hit the nail on the head last night when he mentioned how the best stuff might be in the NEK.  I saw reports from snowmobile trail groomers of near 6" in the higher elevations.

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.28” L.E.

There wasn’t any obvious mixed precipitation in this morning’s accumulation stack on the snowboard, it just seemed like dense snow.  But with a density of 20% H2O, I’m assuming there must have been at least a bit of something hidden in there.  It was subtle enough around here that it shouldn’t have dramatic effects on the snow surfaces on the slopes, but that may vary from location to location depending on when any precipitation changes occurred.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.8 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 31.0 inches

1.6" of crap last night brings my season total to 102.8". Depth ranges from 22-29" with an average of 25.5" The pack is solid and you can walk on it without sinking into it more than a few inches. 

I'd guess this is pretty close to average at my location, but I don't really have a climatology to go by yet that really represents this spot well. Snowfall has been above average in the North Country (correct me if I'm wrong), but below average in SNE. The depth here was around 40-42" in each of the past 2 Februarys prior to the mega torches. It got wiped down to 8-12" with bare spots in the sun each year. Then of course I had 90" in the first 2 weeks of last March, with a peak depth around 55-60". Imagine if we didn't have that damn mega torch what the depth would've been.

Statistics says that won't likely happen again for a while, but I hope we can get something decent in the first half of March that's not one of these fast moving, annoying SWFE mixers. The North Country has managed to get more snow and less mix than I have, which explains the higher totals there. A nice coastal or colder SWFE redeveloper with backside upslope would be good.

All things considered though it hasn't been a bad winter here. Not great, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We were able to establish a base early thanks to Snowvember, which was good for the snow mobilers and ski areas. The occasional rainy cutter and thaw have made for some sketchy periods (especially from late December through early January), but the lack of mega torches has been a life saver.

52427861_1905517796226234_3403883438892122112_o.jpg

52605540_1905518639559483_8393749135982854144_o.jpg

52607865_1905518196226194_7070518730547003392_o.jpg

52964891_1905518939559453_4459688934003179520_o.jpg

21 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I'd guess this is pretty close to average at my location, but I don't really have a climatology to go by yet that really represents this spot well. Snowfall has been above average in the North Country (correct me if I'm wrong), but below average in SNE. The depth here was around 40-42" in each of the past 2 Februarys prior to the mega torches. It got wiped down to 8-12" with bare spots in the sun each year. Then of course I had 90" in the first 2 weeks of last March, with a peak depth around 55-60". Imagine if we didn't have that damn mega torch what the depth would've been.

Been there done that.  Best example was the big snowpack season in my next to last year in Fort Kent.  An 18" dump (in 9 hr) in early Feb briefly buried my 61" stake, convincing me to jury-rig an extension.  Then a 2-week thaw drew the pack down to 35".  The 26.5" event in mid-March (biggest snow I've experienced anywhere) reached 65" on the extension.  With normal late Feb wx we'd have entered March with 60"+ rather than 35 - just imagine.  (And the 80" I measured near Maine's northern tip on 3/15 might've been triple digits.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

1.6" of crap last night brings my season total to 102.8". Depth ranges from 22-29" with an average of 25.5" The pack is solid and you can walk on it without sinking into it more than a few inches. 

Statistics says that won't likely happen again for a while, but I hope we can get something decent in the first half of March that's not one of these fast moving, annoying SWFE mixers. The North Country has managed to get more snow and less mix than I have, which explains the higher totals there. A nice coastal or colder SWFE redeveloper with backside upslope would be good.

All things considered though it hasn't been a bad winter here. Not great, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We were able to establish a base early thanks to Snowvember, which was good for the snow mobilers and ski areas. The occasional rainy cutter and thaw have made for some sketchy periods (especially from late December through early January), but the lack of mega torches has been a life saver.

Its a definitely been a pretty clear NW to SE gradient with regards to snowfall across NE.

76" Season to date here which is pretty much close to seasonal average-so I guess that's pretty impressive for mid-late Feb., but the amount of change over events has been frustrating

I think I've even had almost constant cover here since Nov--which is almost impossible in the valley spots west of the Greens, so that's pretty impressive with the amount of cutters thrown in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Its a definitely been a pretty clear NW to SE gradient with regards to snowfall across NE.

76" Season to date here which is pretty much close to seasonal average-so I guess that's pretty impressive for mid-late Feb., but the amount of change over events has been frustrating

I think I've even had almost constant cover here since Nov--which is almost impossible in the valley spots west of the Greens, so that's pretty impressive with the amount of cutters thrown in.

Agree with the changeovers being frustrating. To me they have detracted from an otherwise great winter snowcover wise. I'd rather get 4" of pure snow than 7" of mixed stuff. That's what I love about upslope - never worry about mixing. 

Tonight's upslope has been very very light so far though. 

59 minutes ago, alex said:

Agree with the changeovers being frustrating. To me they have detracted from an otherwise great winter snowcover wise. I'd rather get 4" of pure snow than 7" of mixed stuff. That's what I love about upslope - never worry about mixing. 

Tonight's upslope has been very very light so far though. 

I think that those of us who snowmobile like some of the mix thrown in. It makes a really beefy harder to melt base and lacks nicely when groomed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Your location is one of the best west of the Greens for snow and retention, IMO. Having the Taconics and Mt. Equinox west of you definitely helps mitigate the easterly downsloping and torches a bit. Narrow valleys are generally much better than the wide valleys.

I've had perpetual snow cover since November 9th. It would be something if I can keep some patchy snow around until May 9th like I did last year to break the 6 month mark with snow OTG.

3 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

All things considered though it hasn't been a bad winter here. Not great, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We were able to establish a base early thanks to Snowvember, which was good for the snow mobilers and ski areas. The occasional rainy cutter and thaw have made for some sketchy periods (especially from late December through early January), but the lack of mega torches has been a life saver

It looks pretty similar to your photos here in Stowe... about two feet of very dense stuff on the ground and my snowfall is around 110" now (very similar to you).  Can walk on about 18" of it and there's 4" of blue clear ice on the bottom.

Up at your elevation though in this neck of the woods is more like 4-5 feet in that 2000ft range.

9 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Your location is one of the best west of the Greens for snow and retention, IMO. Having the Taconics and Mt. Equinox west of you definitely helps mitigate the easterly downsloping and torches a bit. Narrow valleys are generally much better than the wide valleys.

I've had perpetual snow cover since November 9th. It would be something if I can keep some patchy snow around until May 9th like I did last year to break the 6 month mark with snow OTG.

Right, having the Taconics to the west I guess is kind of lucky geological feature.  Everyone knows that Bennington can be a pit, but the difference between here and there can be very stark at times considering we are both elevated valley towns around 700-800ft. Obviously no comparison to any East Slope areas. Retention is pretty pathetic even here and everywhere up and down VT on the west side.  I mean look at cocorahs up north, Underhill has depths of 5-10" while Jspin is 30" with lower elevation.

The best spots valley wise around these parts are 1K+ tucked in against the West slope of greens or East Slopes of Taconis. I marked about where I am now.

image.thumb.png.9cd81d0a67fc5ec4597a956b0d4ec1a6.png

15 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right, having the Taconics to the west I guess is kind of lucky geological feature.  Everyone knows that Bennington can be a pit, but the difference between here and there can be very stark at times considering we are both elevated valley towns around 700-800ft. Obviously no comparison to any East Slope areas. Retention is pretty pathetic even here and everywhere up and down VT on the west side.  I mean look at cocorahs up north, Underhill has depths of 5-10" while Jspin is 30" with lower elevation.

The best spots valley wise around these parts are 1K+ tucked in against the West slope of greens or East Slopes of Taconis. I marked about where I am now.

You're still in a good spot there at 1100ft with higher terrain like immediately next to you.  Downslope effects haven't fully or really taken  place at all unless it's really blocked east flow.  You'll be warmer for sure on the west side but as far as precipitation and snow goes, you'll do well.  Manchester, further away from the terrain is far enough out there for the waterfall effect of sinking air into a hole.  They have to get a lot of compressional heating from wind flow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex said:

Nice fat flakes now

Have had a good burst here too... its either good snow growth or graupel dippin' dots.  A mix of both too, heavily at times. A quick dense coating of flakes and graupel. 

Snowy climate we all have in NNE.

I love walking the dog in the evening, on a groomed Rec Path while it's snowing.  A corduroy striped path, packed down while the dog explores and flakes fly...winter in New England.

8cUXC1r.jpg

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Have had a good burst here too... its either good snow growth or graupel dippin' dots.  A mix of both too, heavily at times. A quick dense coating of flakes and graupel. 

Snowy climate we all have in NNE.

I love walking the dog in the evening, on a groomed Rec Path while it's snowing.  A corduroy striped path, packed down while the dog explores and flakes fly...winter in New England.

8cUXC1r.jpg

I wish I had it in me to take the dog out lol. She just goes out on her own. I love the snow but hate getting cold - I know, I know. :)

I took her on a long walk a couple of days ago but it was a bit of a pain without snowshoes. When you float you're fine, but you break through quite often and you sink deep, which combined with the back pain I've been having is not fun. Surprised how easy it still is to sink given all the mixes. 

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You're still in a good spot there at 1100ft with higher terrain like immediately next to you.  Downslope effects haven't fully or really taken  place at all unless it's really blocked east flow.  You'll be warmer for sure on the west side but as far as precipitation and snow goes, you'll do well.  Manchester, further away from the terrain is far enough out there for the waterfall effect of sinking air into a hole.  They have to get a lot of compressional heating from wind flow.

Yes, your right PF. It is pretty noticeable too when I drive into town( middle of the valley)from my place..almost always less snow with any SE/E/NE wind.

I might be spending the 26th-1st at Gunstock Mtn. Camp Resilience is a non profit the sponsors retreats and workshops for Veterans. The one i applied for works with Veterans to get their resume updated, works on job searching techniques as well as interviewing practice. Ever since The Heritage Adventure Park closed, Ive been lost about what to do for employment.