• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Spent day xc skiing and snow shoeing in the Pemi Wilderness - entered via Lincoln Woods. What a spectacular day. And, what great snow depth. Loon's parking lots were full when I drove by in morning. Great day. The drop off in snow south of exit 20-23 on 93 is amazing.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:10 PM, Redmorninglight said:

Spent the afternoon at Brandon Gap. Thanks J Spin for posting the link last week. The snow was variable but certainly workable. Beats long lines and crowded slopes on the holiday. Plus my legs are getting the workout I need for next weeks trip to Colorado. 

Glad to hear you were able to get out to Brandon Gap for some turns.  I suspect the snow is a bit less variable up here in NVT, just based on how far north the mixing/warming got with the two storms last week and what I’ve seen on the slopes this weekend.

The family was out on Saturday at Bolton Valley, and with 25 inches in the previous 72 hours, the only real deficiency we could find was how high the freezing level had risen with the Friday storm – I’m guessing it had reached up to somewhere around 2,000’.  There had been enough additional snow on the back side of that system that conditions were still powder below that, but the thickening of the subsurface meant that you didn’t have quite as deep or soft of a cushion down there.  Most of Bolton’s terrain is above 2,000’ anyway, so the only places we saw effects were in the lower elevation of the Timberline area.  There was tons of powder out there all around the resort, and those recent 25 inches held a lot of liquid equivalent, so the depths of all that new snow have been holding very well without too much settling.  Right now we’re at a point with the snowpack that’s it’s tough to gauge powder depths because of all the latest snow burying the previous layers so deeply.  My sons and I were testing snow depths throughout the day, but the harder thaw/freeze layers below are simply getting merged with the rest of the snow, and it doesn’t take much effort to simply push your pole down into the snowpack until it’s gone.

Anyway, that’s the way it should be in February around here so that’s good, and the timing was nice for the holiday weekend visitors.  We often do hit the backcountry on these holiday weekends as well, but when there’s been this much recent fresh snow (and just as importantly, liquid equivalent) in the frontcountry terrain, it’s the place to be.  We’re sort of lucky at Bolton in that it’s low key enough that there really aren’t any lift queues to deal with, even on most holidays.  When all their lifts and terrain are open, it’s plenty of capacity to keep up with some extra visitors.

I’ll pass along a few shots from our Saturday session – we even had some bonus snowfall in the morning to further freshen things up:

16FEB19F.jpg

16FEB19A.jpg

16FEB19G.jpg

16FEB19B.jpg

16FEB19H.jpg

16FEB19C.jpg

• Like 1

@J.Spin

I haven’t been to Bolton since I was a kid in 1983 I think. Great images and details about conditions and crowds. I’ll havd to come up and check out Bolton after 36years. Yesterday I hiked up Goshen at Brandon and just did laps on the top 600’ vertical feet or so to avoid the crust layer from Friday’s rain. So I guess the non frozen elevation was around 2400’. It was really great up there. 

Jeff

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.08” L.E.

Snow growth has been quite good this afternoon, with snow ratios between 30 and 40 to 1 here at the house.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 37.5

Snow Density: 2.7% H2O

Temperature: 22.5 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 6 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 32.0 inches

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

This one seems to be overperforming slightly in BTV.

Have you made it up to Bolton during your visit?  We had plenty of snow in the lowlands but the pack has been beaten down a couple of times.  Over 1500’ the depth really starts to grow. Over 2000’ it’s really impressive. 

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Have you made it up to Bolton during your visit?  We had plenty of snow in the lowlands but the pack has been beaten down a couple of times.  Over 1500’ the depth really starts to grow. Over 2000’ it’s really impressive. 

Not yet but I was over by Smuggs yesterday.

3.5" here in East Montpelier.  There is just so much snow right now around the house. Just had to dig out access to our propane tank and windows on our standing seam roof barn/garage are essentially covered with the sliding snow.  Our little rain events have not really dented the snowpack and with these little refreshers, snow banks just keep climbing and climbing.  Gotta love a real Northern New England winter.

5 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

3.5" here in East Montpelier.  There is just so much snow right now around the house. Just had to dig out access to our propane tank and windows on our standing seam roof barn/garage are essentially covered with the sliding snow.  Our little rain events have not really dented the snowpack and with these little refreshers, snow banks just keep climbing and climbing.  Gotta love a real Northern New England winter.

The way I look at it is that those rain events were Mother Nature helping us handle all the future snow she’s going to throw at us.