Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 14.2” Snow/1.37” L.E.

The family was home in Waterbury today, so they were able to take care of snow observations.  I was in Burlington and there wasn’t much going on, but it snowed all day here at the house.  Today’s backside snow was derived from big fluffy flakes, with water content in the 4-5% H2O range, so it was quite the antithesis of what fell in the first part of the storm cycle.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 24.6

Snow Density: 4.1% H2O

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

We’ve had a bit more snow this evening, and there’s still a little more in the forecast, so we’ll see how much more we get to finish off Winter Storm Maya.

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

BTV just issued a special weather statement. 

D5898EB7-505A-4DDC-B525-64927373BCF0.png

I’m not surprised, the air is chokingly thick with huge flakes right now.  The snow is easily falling at over 2”/hr. because an inch accumulated here in just 10-15 min.  Anyone trying to drive in this right now would be dealing with some very low visibility.

13FEB19A.jpg

13FEB19B.gif

13 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’m not surprised, the air is chokingly thick with huge flakes right now.  The snow is easily falling at over 2”/hr. because an inch accumulated here in just 10-15 min. 

I just checked the boards, and 2.0” of snow fell in roughly 30 min, so the snowfall rate was around 4”/hr. in that streamer.

Event totals: 16.6” Snow/1.42” L.E.

There was a still a bit of snow falling this morning with at least another tenth of an inch of accumulation before I left the house, so I’ll likely have one final round of observations for this storm cycle later today.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 22.3 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 33.0 inches

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

That’s actually right where the top end of our point forecast was, so it seems like that was right on track in terms of covering the possibility of these latest rounds of snow with big ratios.

Yeah good call by BTV.  And your 1.42" total liquid is indicative of another big QPF event for the mountains.

We finished with 14" at High Road Stake at Stowe.  I'll post the 3 stake readings later, and Andre and I under-reported that at 13" on the 6am guess which will be the official total.

Below I’ve got the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Maya, using 48-hour totals or storm reports if available.  The highest reports were up in Northern Vermont, with 20” at Bolton Valley and Jay Peak, and I updated the Stowe value to 14” based on PF’s post:

Jay Peak: 20”

Burke: 16”

Smuggler’s Notch: 15”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 20”

Sugarbush: 17”

Middlebury: 10”

Suicide Six: 8”

Pico: 13”

Killington: 13”

Okemo: 10”

Bromley: 9”

Magic Mountain: 9”

Stratton: 13”

Mount Snow: 11”

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MBRI said:

Go down to Garneaus and demo a real sled, 900, 900 turbo. So much smoother than the  600's 

For a newbie, I’d recommend a 600 ACE. Smooth, reliable, enough low end to give a little thrill while taking off but not enough to get you in much trouble. My wife and 14 year old son have them and love them. 

10 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 16.6” Snow/1.42” L.E.

There was a still a bit of snow falling this morning with at least another tenth of an inch of accumulation before I left the house, so I’ll likely have one final round of observations for this storm cycle later today.

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 22.3 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 33.0 inches

Wow. Impressive depth!

Event totals: 16.7” Snow/1.42” L.E.

The weather finally cleared out this evening, so this morning’s snow should be the last of Winter Storm Maya, and the totals above represent the final numbers.

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.8 F

Sky:  Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 32.0 inches

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, J.Spin said:

I was up at Bolton for a tour this morning, so I can pass along some info.  Accumulations were 9-10” at 1,500’ at the Timberline Base and about 12-13” at 2,500’ at the Timberline Summit.  It was pounding snow at an inch or two per hour on most of my ascent though, so that upper number would have that factored in.  Winter Storm Maya has been a solid resurfacing so far though, with well over an inch of liquid equivalent, and some really dense snow at the start of this cycle.  There is probably some upside-down character to those initial accumulations, but thankfully there was another 3-4” of fluff on top of that when I was out today so it was very right-side-up by that point.  I’ll put together some images as soon as I get a chance.

I’ve added a few images below from yesterday morning’s ski tour at Timberline.  Similar to down here at the house, they obviously continued to get substantial accumulations yesterday afternoon and evening because they’re reporting a storm total of 20 inches.

13FEB19E.jpg

13FEB19B.jpg

13FEB19D.jpg

13FEB19C.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The 3,000ft High Road stake at Stowe.  8.5" + 2.5" + 3.0" = 14" storm total.  Depth was up to 99" at the summit stake and 40" at the base.

52089374_10103659908570750_4975515378131

Thanks for the updates PF.  Depending on how much settling is going on, maybe today’s storm will be the one to push the Mansfield snowpack to the century mark:

Today

Snow showers, mainly after 8am. High near 33. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 55 to 60 mph decreasing to 45 to 50 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight

Snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Low around 11. Wind chill values as low as -10. Windy, with a west wind 34 to 39 mph decreasing to 28 to 33 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.