Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Nice steady light snow this afternoon.

The number of days it has snowed has to be almost as impressive as the totals and depth.  

It's hard to fathom how it snows 5 days a week (if not more) up here while 150 miles south can't buy flakes.  But even in this event there's a sharp gradient from NVT to even C.VT.

I do hear it from friends though that get around a bit skiing... that even the ski areas like MRG and Sugarbush have half the snow on the ground when compared with Stowe and Smuggs.  A former poster here was saying the difference between Stowe and Sugarbush is eye-opening... like 1500ft snow depth at Stowe (40"+) is more like 3000ft down there.  There's a sharp gradient even in the mountains along the Spine.

IMG_2129.GIF.21e4556d7190959fab51e02affe6c9ad.GIF

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The number of days it has snowed has to be almost as impressive as the totals and depth.  

It's hard to fathom how it snows 5 days a week (if not more) up here while 150 miles south can't buy flakes.  But even in this event there's a sharp gradient from NVT to even C.VT.

I do hear it from friends though that get around a bit skiing... that even the ski areas like MRG and Sugarbush have half the snow on the ground when compared with Stowe and Smuggs.  A former poster here was saying the difference between Stowe and Sugarbush is eye-opening... like 1500ft snow depth at Stowe (40"+) is more like 3000ft down there.  There's a sharp gradient even in the mountains along the Spine.

IMG_2129.GIF.21e4556d7190959fab51e02affe6c9ad.GIF

Is Lake Champlain frozen yet?

Managing a few flakes this evening.  Looking forward to the thaw.  I would like to melt some of the snow on this roof to reduce weight and make room for more storms over the next 6 weeks.  

Today was the last sunset before 5pm.  Average temps are now rising.  Perhaps the backbone of this winter has been broken?  This is the time of year the sun angle starts eating away at the snowbanks.   We have to head down to Rhode Island for a couple of days early this week.  Will be nice to bring the car through the carwash and get rid of the salt.  Also will be nice to see some bare ground, it has been way too long.

Glad SNE's don't bother reading this thread about the winter they didn't  (yet) have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

U

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I was up at Cole’s Pond today, former home of the famous weather camera (RIP) and the amount of snow at 2200’ was astonishing. I didn’t get a chance to take pictures but Simone I was with did and when I get some I’ll try and post. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, J.Spin said:

January totals: 66.5” Snow/6.22” L.E.

This January was notable at our site in that the last time we had one with above average snowfall was eight seasons ago (January 2011 with 55.5”).  My data set only covers about a dozen years, but January is still the snowiest month at the climate sites around here.  So, unless the monthly distribution in the mountains here varies dramatically from those sites, that stretch was presumably not the norm.

As a skier, this January was much closer to how you’d write it up though – lots of moisture, plenty of fresh snow, and none of that sitting under dry, frigid arctic air for a week at a time.

Well, as an interesting follow up to last month’s snowfall data and the strange dichotomy of January snowfall we’ve had in this area, I noticed something when I was entering my monthly numbers.  This past January had essentially as much snow (66.5”) as the past three Januarys combined (67.1”).  And, the previous three Januarys to those produced pretty much that same result (67.2”).  January snowfall had really been running on idle around here for quite a while.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Well, as an interesting follow up to last month’s snowfall data and the strange dichotomy of January snowfall we’ve had in this area, I noticed something when I was entering my monthly numbers.  This past January had essentially as much snow (66.5”) as the past three Januarys combined (67.1”).  And, the previous three Januarys to those produced pretty much that same result (67.2”).  January snowfall had really been running on idle around here for quite a while.

January has been a tough month since 2011.  I think that was the last respectable January.  

We were due.  I know you and I always talked about how January seemed to be the worst snowfall month of the winter (I always speculated the seasonal jet gets so far south in the dead of winter that we get suppression) but it was fun to finally get one to go nuts.  

It seemed to snow every day all January.  How many days did you have a trace or more in the 24 hour periods?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

January has been a tough month since 2011.  I think that was the last respectable January.  

We were due.  I know you and I always talked about how January seemed to be the worst snowfall month of the winter (I always speculated the seasonal jet gets so far south in the dead of winter that we get suppression) but it was fun to finally get one to go nuts.  

It seemed to snow every day all January.  How many days did you have a trace or more in the 24 hour periods?

I just checked, and we had a trace or more of snow on 26 out of 31 days, so ~84% of them.

Actually, it just started snowing here while I was writing this – I guess it’s associated with that little impulse coming into the area:

03FEB19A.gif 

SnowyClimate.jpg

We headed to RASTA’s backcountry skiing network at Brandon Gap yesterday, so I can pass along some info and images.  Temperatures were very comfortable at around 20 F, and skies were cloudy until about midafternoon when it started to snow in association with yesterday’s system.  The network there is generally in the 2,000’ to 3,000’ elevation range or so, and the snowpack is quite prodigious.  It’s too deep for me to easily estimate based on any pole measurements, but there really aren’t any deficiencies and everything you could possibly want to be covered certainly is.  Surface powder depths we encountered were generally 12 to 24 inches, with the highest reading I obtained at 26 inches.  The composition of the subsurface was pretty inconsequential because you just weren’t having to get near it with just backcountry traffic, but from what we could tell didn’t seem overly crusty.  Even down there the snowfall was fairly vigorous, definitely up around 3,000’, although I’m sure they didn’t quite pick up the accumulations PF showed along the northern tier.  In any event, base depths and surface conditions are excellent.

02FEB19E.jpg

02FEB19F.jpg

02FEB19A.jpg

02FEB19H.jpg

02FEB19B.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The season of over-performing snows continues.

While only 1.6" in the end here, just north of me in NVT it was a widespread 3-5" snowfall.

I mean, who would've looked at the models and thought the northern tier of VT would get an advisory event yesterday? 

didn't it snow up there today too?

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just ran out to get some food for the Super Bowl and my car said 27F with a steady freezing rain.  Car was all iced up from the ZR.

At leas the roads seem just snow-packed from the little light snow today, so the freezing rain has something to get absorbed by.

nTzB5xb.gif

Same here except I refuse to watch the Super Bowl. Go Rams

34 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

What happened to cam?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wondered what happened to that cam.  So few good cams north of me to check out.  That was a great cam. Looks like some frozen on the Loon cam.

Watching the Super Bowl with the spot lights on but all the precip is slipping by just to my north.  Looking forward to some warm weather to melt a bit of the pack.

Lots of snowmobile accidents making the news. I follow local SAR and NH Fish and Game. 2 first time snowmobilers crashed into trees at high rates of speed. Another snowmobiler broke through ice. No reported deaths...so far...I hope it stays that way. Watch out for eachother, out there!

21 hours ago, mreaves said:

The guy who ran it passed away. 

I remember the guy who ran it posted a few years ago his wife past away.  I can't remember if he had a blog or what.  I felt bad for him.  Now he is gone too.  

Now I see his house is on the market.   A great place for a snow lover.   https://waldenvt.weebly.com/?fbclid=IwAR0oJew4EJj1uJwvH1acq5HxQfRBj_xnz1bOEaokpmxRHArJOk8pPq__l3E

Big snow melt day.  Snowstick was around 12" earlier and down to 9"   Mid 50's and stronger sun taking its toll.  Lots of water running down my dirt road.  Still frozen of course except the top inch or s0.