Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Euro continues to show a light snow event for NNE mountains this weekend.

Cold temps and good snow growth, may be a little stat padder.

IMG_2122.thumb.PNG.10662dfcfdcf14fed07cd16d003465b7.PNG

Yeah, I’ve seen that showing up on the various models.  Great timing for a weekend refresher of the slopes, and it gets the February snowfall started.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

National Weather Service Burlington VT

321 PM EST Thu Jan 31 2019

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

As of 304 PM EST Thursday...A quick moving low pressure clipper system will move across the North Country on Saturday along with some shortwave energy. Will have chance for light snow showers with this feature, though generally only light snowfall totals expected, generally a dusting to three inches. A strengthening low level westerly jet will develop, keeping best accumulations along the western slopes of the Dacks and Greens. Champlain valley will be shadowed as is typical with westerly flow. Bulk of light snow will end by Saturday evening, though some lingering mountain snow showers are possible.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh look, it's snowing outside.  Small Arctic flakes.  

But... it snows EVERY day this winter it seems.  Like it just can't figure out how not to.

22 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Brag about it a little more.  

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: True, if you were seeing snow daily with over two feet on the ground and record setting mountain depths....you probably wouldn't post about it either. 

This is the NNE thread though, so it should literally be the place to talk about the climate/weather in this part of New England with no fear of resentment/reprisal.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: True, if you were seeing snow daily with over two feet on the ground and record setting mountain depths....you probably wouldn't post about it either. 

Lol. I always feel self conscious posting about how awesome things are exactly because of reactions like that. But yeah, things are really awesome in NNE. I love how deep it is, seeing this thick thick blanket of snow on everything. My driveway has walls on each side. The Xmas deer and sled are totally buried except for the tip of the antlers. Fire pits and seats are gone. Rock wall buried in what now looks like a completely flat surface.  Oh yeah, some small flakeage tonight here too. :)

11 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Bolton Valley just reported hitting 200 inches on the season...what are other mtns reporting?

Jay Peak 263"

Smuggs 270"

Stowe 208"

Bolton 200"

Mad River Glen 161"

Sugarbush 149"

Honestly the Stowe total is likely a little under reported due to early season snow reporting difficulties...it could be as much as 230-240" IMO.  

The Smuggs number really stands out to me.  I've never seen them beat Jay Peak and they are literally 1-2 miles from Stowe.   

With that said, the Stowe number is low and the Mansfield Stake being 98" would support more than 208".  Often getting the Stake to 100" in my experience is closer to 250" snowfall than 200".  Some years it takes 300"+ to get to 100" depth.  The ratio of depth to snowfall seems off.  Vail Resorts tried to go with a different snow reporting method but has since gone back to the old way, with sheltered High Road measurements.  The early season snow was on the low side.

Either way, it's a lot of snow.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Jay Peak 263"

Smuggs 270"

Stowe 208"

Bolton 200"

Mad River Glen 161"

Sugarbush 149"

Honestly the Stowe total is likely a little under reported due to early season snow reporting difficulties...it could be as much as 230-240" IMO.  

The Smuggs number really stands out to me.  I've never seen them beat Jay Peak and they are literally 1-2 miles from Stowe.   

With that said, the Stowe number is low and the Mansfield Stake being 98" would support more than 208".  Often getting the Stake to 100" in my experience is closer to 250" snowfall than 200".  Some years it takes 300"+ to get to 100" depth.  The ratio of depth to snowfall seems off.

Ive often wondered what it would be like if the snow at the stake matched the total accumulated snow fall...imagine Stowe with a 250" base???

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol. I always feel self conscious posting about how awesome things are exactly because of reactions like that. But yeah, things are really awesome in NNE. I love how deep it is, seeing this thick thick blanket of snow on everything. My driveway has walls on each side. The Xmas deer and sled are totally buried except for the tip of the antlers. Fire pits and seats are gone. Rock wall buried in what now looks like a completely flat surface.  Oh yeah, some small flakeage tonight here too. :)

I don't feel guilty in the least, though try not to rub it in...but it is what it is.  I don't want to be an arse, but I mean in the recent big E.SNE winters, was anyone holding back on posting because of what western New England or NNE was experiencing?  It's a silly notion that one can't enjoy their weather because others aren't enjoying it as well.  

We don't control the weather, we just experience it and post based on what we are seeing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Ray was jumping on some your posts in the other threads with some snide remarks, but I say post away if you want to. 

But, yea anything goes in the NNE thread.

2 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Ive often wondered what it would be like if the snow at the stake matched the total accumulated snow fall...imagine Stowe with a 250" base???

Haha yeah, not happening in our moose fart climo ;).  

But to me the Stake depth would give Smuggs 270" a bit more credit than the initial sniff test might show.

Today's 98" Mansfield Stake depth is the highest ever recorded at the end of January.  

The old record for Jan 31st was 90" in 1969.  

Forgive us for being excited about breaking 65 year snow records ;)

Daily Hydrometeorological Data
National Weather Service Burlington VT
514 PM EST Thu Jan 31 2019

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield              7 -16  -4                     98
  • Thanks 1

Just now, #NoPoles said:

I like to come in here because most of the time this is the happy thread...most of the posts are very positive...although whineminster had a pretty epic melt, i thoroughly enjoyed it. Please keep posting stats and pics and what not, i enjoy that you guys are having a good season

Your likes are welcomed here...think your the only poster in SNE that doesn't have some type of disdain for CNE and NNE:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, #NoPoles said:

PF, have you noticed any big changes in mtn operations at stowe since the buy out?

No, it's the same operations team and leadership as it was before.  Definitely some policy changes and stuff that happens with a new company but the operations leadership is the same it's always been.

• Thanks 1

Ive always thought @alex had the right idea about buying property and renting it out for income. Now that my school loans are paid off and my car will paid off this year, I will be completely debt free. Id really like to do what Alex does...but Im a little bit on the timid side, and i know you have to have a real go get em personality to make investments work...maybe I can shadow Alex and learn a thing or two and then go for it?

19 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Your likes are welcomed here...think your the only poster in SNE that doesn't have some type of disdain for CNE and NNE:lol:

I just come in here to see deep snow and then log off and throw things. J/K.

Although it’s brutal here, you guys have Gone through epic shit stretches in recent January’s.  Nature balances out. Nobody has true disdain, I think it’s just frustration of how a crazy gradient has set up within 50-100 miles of certain locales.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Although it’s brutal here, you guys have Gone through epic shit stretches in recent January’s.  Nature balances out. Nobody has true disdain, I think it’s just frustration of how a crazy gradient has set up within 50-100 miles of certain locales.

Ha.

No, I know i was exaggerating a bit there with the disdain stuff--right, its more frustration  because of the gradient nature of this winter so far and most of SNE  accustomed to KUs appearing from oyster farts from the Atlantic. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is about as extreme a gradient as you'll see, it seems.  It's not just the mountains, it's even the low lands of NNE when BTV and CAR are both nearing their annual averages at the end of January.  CAR is a bit more above normal than BTV, but even the Banana Valley of Vermont has seen 70" so far.  It won't take much for BTV to put up another 100"+ season which seem to happen more frequently since 2000.

I always think back to what Will/ORH says, when SNE has a big winter it's usually still normal or above normal in NNE....and same when NNE has a huge winter, it's usually above normal in SNE too, just not to that extent.  It's much more rare for one area of New England to just be that far separated from the rest of the region.

The opposite type winter would be one where Cape Cod just rakes deform bands and mid-level magic all winter while it's like pulling teeth to get snow anywhere else.  Like an entire winter of severe suppression depression.

Nice shout out from BTV in the Climate notes:

Also 3rd Snowiest January since 1882 at BTV... about half of the annual average fell this month!

.CLIMATE...
A daily snow depth record was broken atop Mt Mansfield today of
98 inches. Thanks to PF for capturing the data for our climate
records. Below are the top 4 snow depth records for January
31st atop Mount Mansfield.
1.) 98 inches in 2019
2.) 90 inches in 1969
3.) 75 inches in 1979, 1977, and 1971
4.) 74 inches in 2009

In addition, the 3rd snowiest January occurred at Burlington
Vermont in 2019. Below are the top 5 snowiest January`s on
record:
1.) 48.4 2010
2.) 42.4 1978
3.) 41.7 2019
4.) 41.3 1966
5.) 38.6 1994

&&

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Ive always thought @alex had the right idea about buying property and renting it out for income. Now that my school loans are paid off and my car will paid off this year, I will be completely debt free. Id really like to do what Alex does...but Im a little bit on the timid side, and i know you have to have a real go get em personality to make investments work...maybe I can shadow Alex and learn a thing or two and then go for it?

It’s a great gig (and by the way, we are always looking for good people to help). Keep in mind, I only own a few properties, the others we just manage for other owners and take a cut (you need to be a licensed real estate agent to do that). The work is 24-7 and stressful at times but you also have great flexibility- is, can ski a few hours every day in the middle of the week.