Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.01” L.E.

It’s been on and off flakes today around the area with pulses of LES.  We picked up another 0.5” of snow today from the current event, and this time I was able to get 0.01” of liquid out of the core.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 23.9 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

On 1/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, Whineminster said:

damaging event to the pack....not gone....but damaging.

@Whineminster, I wanted to follow up regarding the snowpack after this damaging thaw event.

This is why we weren't worried, because we know the snowpack and how it will respond to weather events.  This season has featured a lot of QPF rich snow events and we've had rain events scattered throughout.  The snow is extremely durable and the prior big snowstorm left dense but very cold/dry snow.  Perfect for soaking up moisture, with little melting, thanks to such a cold core snowpack temp.

We picked up 1.40" of rainfall (a significant winter rain event) and the snowpack didn't even seem to blink.  It just changed structure.

At the Mansfield/Stowe sites, the summit stake likely dropped a half a foot but it then snowed that much so the end result was the same 7 foot snowpack as it was before the rain event.  7 f'ing feet of snowpack in January.... with significant water included, its about as durable as a snowpack gets in these parts.  This would take A LOT of energy to melt, multi-day thaw needed to knock even a foot off that.

This was the stake this afternoon:

50706066_10103642710351120_2682341891080

In the base area at 1,500ft the results were similar.  This is at Barnes Camp this evening, at parking lots/hotel/lodges elevation.  I was finding consistent 38-40" depths, down 2-4" from prior to the heavy rain.  This devastating thaw has only made the core of the pack more bulletproof and a great launching off point for the second half of winter.

50690214_10103642708933960_7806128160268

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The lake effect band into the mountains is causing some great snow growth accumulations on limited radar returns.  It's ripping out there right now.

eZtmwHt.gif

We picked up 0.7” from the band that was hitting us here in the Winooski Valley, and that next one was a bit north of here, but I was thinking it would be a nice one for your area.  Nice to hear you got in on some of those LES flakes!

SnowyClimate.jpg

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing again.  Wasn't expecting the roads to be as slick as they were up by the ski area.  

Crazy how hard it's been to get snow down south and I feel like we've had flakes flying 5 days a week this winter.

PF,  how much snow do you think the town of Stowe has gotten this winter?  J Spin is by far in the lead for NE snow and I'm sure the mountain is right up there but it seems just a few miles makes a big difference with upslope.  Looks like another good week for you,  I'm closer to the pesky rain/snow lines but as of tonight Im in the game for Tuesday/Wednesday

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You guys are gonna get crushed with snow coming in different ways,synoptically, heavy squalls upslope . You name it.  Big winds low temps and close to dangerous windchill. What a week for you peeps.

So, this is the bane of my weather existence, I’ve been out and about all day and haven’t really looked at anything except for a brief scan of the January thread. In that thread, there were a couple of posts saying that there is a growing signal for a big torch stretch down the road in February. Now all I can think about is that. I can’t get myself to enjoy today’s weather because I keep thinking about what may occur in a few weeks. Ugh:axe:

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You guys are gonna get crushed with snow coming in different ways,synoptically, heavy squalls upslope . You name it.  Big winds low temps and close to dangerous windchill. What a week for you peeps.

HRRR is one helluva snow squall along the front tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is for LEB, but you can see a sharp front moving in during the late afternoon/evening hours, strong lift along and above it in a saturated DGZ. A little CAPE to boot. Probably going to be some cracks of thunder in the strongest squalls.

SNSQ_zpsdlgwjcjh.png

38 ubar Omega 46 Total Totals Lapse Rates 7.6 conditional instability 

hrrr_2019012700_020_44.6--72.84.png

So they say it rained two days ago...

The skiing did not suck today.  I mean, everything that can go right has gone right this season.  It rains 1-2" and then the Greens get 6-8" of snow showers to save the weekend skiing.

Everyone today was totally blown away.  Expecting the worst after Thursday's torrential rain, only to find 40-80" natural depths and powder turns in the woods.

Late this afternoon I went to some of my stashes to get away from the crowds.

50529012_10103643407813400_3702779919646

And a photo from a buddy... I mean look at the snow on the trees?!  You'd never know it poured for 10 hours two days ago.

50609366_10213885856082871_8989883582986

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF,  how much snow do you think the town of Stowe has gotten this winter?  J Spin is by far in the lead for NE snow and I'm sure the mountain is right up there but it seems just a few miles makes a big difference with upslope.  Looks like another good week for you,  I'm closer to the pesky rain/snow lines but as of tonight Im in the game for Tuesday/Wednesday

The Stowe Cocorahs guys is at 71.4"(near the town somewhere I think)I think PF mentioned his totals seemed higher than cocorahs guy though.

5 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The Stowe Cocorahs guys is at 71.4"(near the town somewhere I think)I think PF mentioned his totals seemed higher than cocorahs guy though.

I'm up to just over 82".  I'm not the most exact at home but I'm also measuring/taking notes throughout events. 

All around me seems to be higher totals scattered.  Hyde Park (where a lot of my co-workers live) has 97", Underhill west of the mountain over 100", Greensboro (where Hill Farmsted Brewery is located) about 45 minutes NE of here at 120".

Snowpack has probably been the best part of this winter... we've held the snow and had solid QPF.  Precip totals aren't that different, so some of it is ratios.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm up to just over 82".  I'm not the most exact at home but I'm also measuring/taking notes throughout events. 

All around me seems to be higher totals scattered.  Hyde Park (where a lot of my co-workers live) has 97", Underhill west of the mountain over 100", Greensboro (where Hill Farmsted Brewery is located) about 45 minutes NE of here at 120".

Snowpack has probably been the best part of this winter... we've held the snow and had solid QPF.  Precip totals aren't that different, so some of it is ratios.

Might want to have a little chat with your town cocorahs guy...he's going to bring down your long term average if he keeps this up :)

25 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Might want to have a little chat with your town cocorahs guy...he's going to bring down your long term average if he keeps this up :)

Ha, it honestly doesn't matter with the local variance around here and the snow on the ground.  The difference between registering 1.0" in the morning, vs  measuring 1.5" in the evening...or 4.2" (one measurement) vs. 5.0" (two measurements) for a 12 hour snow... it can add up over a season, especially in a climate with near-daily snows between the larger events.  All snowfall totals are valid if they are somewhat regular, the bar just changes a bit depending on the method and frequency.

Last night's squalls measured more when they finished than mid-morning the next day when cleaning off the car.

dDVw1if.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So they say it rained two days ago...

The skiing did not suck today.  I mean, everything that can go right has gone right this season.  It rains 1-2" and then the Greens get 6-8" of snow showers to save the weekend skiing.

Everyone today was totally blown away.  Expecting the worst after Thursday's torrential rain, only to find 40-80" natural depths and powder turns in the woods.

You aren’t kidding about the snow.  I was sort of content to spend a relaxing day at home, waiting for tomorrow’s snow, but when I saw you mention the 8” in the Stowe report it got me thinking.  I checked Bolton’s report and saw 7” in the past 72 hours, as well as the powder tracks on their web cam and I decided to go for a tour.  There’s definitely an increase in depths – I found about 6” at 2,000 and 8” to 9” near 3,000’ at Bolton Valley.  A few shots from today’s tour:

26JAN19B.jpg

26JAN19C.jpg

26JAN19D.jpg

26JAN19E.jpg

• Like 1

Skied the Greensboro to Craftsbury trail yesterday expecting firm and fast with the skate skis, packed powder was the rule.

speaking of microclimates, it was cool to see the variance in snow depths along the way, ski up one hill with 3-4 on the trees and down the other side with 8, small pockets with noticeable variance everywhere about 1300’

45978756905_32edf0a2f1_b.jpg

I think every town should consider a winter xc ski track. Something extra enjoyable about skiing to another town

• Like 1

Snow just started up here at the house in association with this next system coming through the area.  The BTV NWS says this is a low pressure system rapping up over the western side of Lake Erie that is expected to track up through the Saint Lawrence Valley later today, and a notable feature is the cold front coming through with snow squall potential.

• Like 1