• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

This is now the highest rain/qpf(any season) event total I have had since moving to VT--3.13".  Over 4.5" in Dorset VT(another valley town near here).

Nice 3-5" synoptic rain storm.  Wife says it an absolute mess around town--torrents and rivers of water everywhere 

3.13" hasn't even wiped out the pack--looking at my cam, looks like it went from 12-13" down to 7"

45 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My south-facing office window in Augusta has been getting a good washing since about 1 PM when the wind really picked up.  Hoping the wind hasn't made it over Mile Hill, and places like IZG and BML make for optimism.

a.m. commute could be sketchy. My wife needs to be on rd at 2am to get to PWM. Pretty sure there will be some balck ice.

4 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Yeah see I was right.  Sled trails and slopes will be icy as hell this weekend

Friend just told me it flipped back to snow in the Berks, so mountains could get an inch or two. Temps already dropping, but 1.18" of rain fell up there. Pack looks fine. Took a little hit, unlike my backyard here. Patches like I said.

You mentioned or at least questioned whether the pack would get destroyed. Clearly that didn't happen. Not even close in the mountains. 

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

This is now the highest rain/qpf(any season) event total I have had since moving to VT--3.13".  Over 4.5" in Dorset VT(another valley town near here).

Nice 3-5" synoptic rain storm.  Wife says it an absolute mess around town--torrents and rivers of water everywhere 

3.13" hasn't even wiped out the pack--looking at my cam, looks like it went from 12-13" down to 7"

damaging event to the pack....not gone....but damaging.  Cut you in half.

6pm.   LIght rain and temps now falling.  41F.  Temperatures in this part of NH stayed in the 30's for most of the event except on the hills which made it into the upper 40's.  Lots of flooding, impressive rain event.

My pack went from about 14" to 8".  No bare spots.  Pack is probably deeper at lower elevations that stayed colder.

8 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

damaging event to the pack....not gone....but damaging.  Cut you in half.

:lol:  Your funny. Up north (NVT) barely made a dent.  After 3.5" of rain, I consider going from 13" to 7" a pretty big win in the just the retention department.

But the amount of rain, mud slides reported, ice jams, houses and restaurants flooded--it was very impressive cutter in that sense.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/1.16” L.E.

I didn’t see any snow accumulation on the front end of this system, but we’re getting some now on the back side.  Snowfall was actually fairly heavy with difficult driving visibility in the Burlington area when I was leaving this evening, but it was still warm enough that it was only accumulating on the roads in certain areas.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Up north (NVT) barely made a dent.

That’s a pretty good way to put it with respect to snowpack depth here in the mountains, but in terms of snowpack water content, you actually have to speak of it as a bump.  The snow at our stake went from 29.5” yesterday morning to 28.0” this morning to 26.0” this evening, and now it’s snowing.  I haven’t cored the pack, but the NOHRSC plot for our site indicates that the total liquid in the snowpack went from roughly 6.3” yesterday to roughly 7.5” today, so the snowpack actually got a nice shot in the arm.  Now we just need that Northern Greens magic to keep putting down the powder for resurfacing.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/1.16” L.E.

:lol: at that snowpack after today's deluge, some were worried about mud and grass but this wasn't going anywhere.  Collectively we knew the snow was dense... and it just seemed to suck up the moisture.  Temperatures along the river valley through town stayed down, avoiding a true fully mixed environment in the warm sector.  It switched over to snow later than I expected, but it was nice to see it coming down steadily at the mountain when I left... turning the snowbanks back to white.  That makes a difference aesthetically, need to get enough new snow to cover up the brown from a lot of sand use.  A little wet paste in the transition helps the sliding, too.

3dK2Wwa.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: at that snowpack after today's deluge, some were worried about mud and grass but this wasn't going anywhere.  Collectively we knew the snow was dense... and it just seemed to suck up the moisture.  Temperatures along the river valley through town stayed down, avoiding a true fully mixed environment in the warm sector.  It switched over to snow later than I expected, but it was nice to see it coming down steadily at the mountain when I left... turning the snowbanks back to white.  That makes a difference aesthetically, need to get enough new snow to cover up the brown from a lot of sand use.  A little wet paste in the transition helps the sliding, too.

I don't keep a snow stake but judging by eye, my snow didn't take a huge hit either.  I sort of expected the paths that I clear for my dog in the back yard and the area I clear in my front yard for my snowmobile trailer to be showing some grass but those are still solidly covered.  I did see a couple of windswept, exposed knobs next to the interstate this morning.  Its is snowing lightly on and off this morning, probably just enough to camouflage the deadly black ice lurking in the parking lots and on the sidewalks here in Montpelier. 

Yeah we've had a quick half inch at home this morning and still snowing in this little snow shower/squall.

Looks like winter again with snow clinging to all the branches and giving the surface that "fresh" look again.

One thing I hate is that the hedge rows dropped their two foot mushroom caps in a lot of areas.

g3RNQVs.jpg

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/Trace L.E.

The backside snow from Winter Storm Indra really seemed to be complete last night, and there was an obvious break between that snowfall and the new batch that has appeared this morning, so I’d say we’re on to a new event.  The BTV NWS hadn’t been talking about the snowfall much, but I see that they just updated their discussion with some comments:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

National Weather Service Burlington VT

946 AM EST Fri Jan 25 2019

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...

As of 946 AM EST Friday...Band of moisture from Lake Ontario that moved across northeast New York and northwest Vermont this morning has decreased in areal coverage and some breaks in the overcast have developed. Will see scattered to numerous snow showers over this area and across central and northeast Vermont for the rest of the day. A more definitive lake effect snow band is becoming established now across the east end of Lake Ontario and the southern portions of Saint Lawrence and Franklin counties of New York will have the best potential of seeing accumulations from the Lake Effect snow band today. Going forecast has this band handled well.

Snowfall was actually quite robust from Williston to Burlington when I was driving in this morning, with visibilities under ½ mile at times.  The big flakes certainly obscured visibility at times and had folks reducing their driving speeds.

25JAN19A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 24.6 F

Sky:  Light Snow (5 to 20 mm flakes)

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Picked up a true 30-40:1 ratio inch this morning on the car.  Just drive off and the snow clears itself.

Yeah, it’s super fluffy stuff.  This morning’s accumulation at our place came in at somewhere north of 50:1 because there was a half inch and I couldn’t even get 0.01” of liquid out of it.  I can see on my webcam that there’s another half inch down now, which will probably be of the same consistency.  With ratios like these you need a ton of it to really get the resurfacing going, but we did have that nice dense accumulation at the tail end of Indra that should help cushion things a bit.  We’re thankful for any help the lakes want to give us though – this morning Stephanie Abrams on The Weather Channel was pointing out some of the cool triple lake linkage that was feeding into some of the Ontario flow.  These initial accumulations after a warmer storm certainly help with the aesthetics for the locals and visitors alike though as Alex noted.

Storm total 1.32", all liquid though a bit of ZR at the start.  Thanks to a CAD-defensed high in the mid 30s, all that rain smashed my 25" pack down to just 23".  Lots of ice holes on my commute, and with water still running over the road they'll probably be worse going home after sunset.

Had to commute by way of Farmington for vehicle work, and still trying to figure exactly what happened between a Jimmy and a semi hauling logs.  Truck was westbound and had no visible damage that I could see, and was parked on the shoulder a bit west of the large ice patch that caused the accident.  The Jimmy was perched atop the snowbank next to the westbound lane with much of the passenger side scraped and pushed in a bit.  My guess is that the smaller vehicle lost it on the ice, did a 180 before kissing the log trailer (takes more than a passenger rig to damage trailer bunks) then did another 180 post-contact, crossing the westbound lane and climbing onto the snow.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Storm total 1.32", all liquid though a bit of ZR at the start.  Thanks to a CAD-defensed high in the mid 30s, all that rain smashed my 25" pack down to just 23".  Lots of ice holes on my commute, and with water still running over the road they'll probably be worse going home after sunset.

Had to commute by way of Farmington for vehicle work, and still trying to figure exactly what happened between a Jimmy and a semi hauling logs.  Truck was westbound and had no visible damage that I could see, and was parked on the shoulder a bit west of the large ice patch that caused the accident.  The Jimmy was perched atop the snowbank next to the westbound lane with much of the passenger side scraped and pushed in a bit.  My guess is that the smaller vehicle lost it on the ice, did a 180 before kissing the log trailer (takes more than a passenger rig to damage trailer bunks) then did another 180 post-contact, crossing the westbound lane and climbing onto the snow.

They haven't made Jimmy's in nearly 15 years, scraped and pushed in might be it's normal state lol. :lol:

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

They haven't made Jimmy's in nearly 15 years, scraped and pushed in might be it's normal state lol. :lol:

Did not know they were no longer made.  It was a GMC, one of their smaller SUVs and looked fairly new, but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable of the model names to ID it.  :P

About 2" of rain fell yesterday in my area.  Rain ended around dark and many of the major roads dried off, finally salt free for a change.  Then around 11pm a snow squall came through with about 1/4" of snow so the crews mucked up all the roads again with a ton of salt.

Driveways are a mess.  So much ice everywhere.   My snowstake is down to 9" from a prestorm of 14".

Winter continues in Central NH.  58" seasonal total for me.

45 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

About 2" of rain fell yesterday in my area.  Rain ended around dark and many of the major roads dried off, finally salt free for a change.  Then around 11pm a snow squall came through with about 1/4" of snow so the crews mucked up all the roads again with a ton of salt.

Driveways are a mess.  So much ice everywhere.   My snowstake is down to 9" from a prestorm of 14".

Winter continues in Central NH.  58" seasonal total for me.

Passed me again!  We've been playing leapfrog all season.

• Like 1