• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

I’ve added the afternoon map updates from the BTV NWS below for Winter Storm Harper.  There was a Winter Weather Advisory out near the Saint Lawrence Valley, but that been filled in with a Winter Storm Warning now, so that’s the level of advisory across the whole area.  The point forecast here suggests total accumulation in the 12-20” range, which seems to jive fine with the latest projected accumulations map.

19JAN19B.jpg

19JAN19C.jpg

Event totals: 8.1” Snow/0.78” L.E.

It looks like snowfall generally was running in the 1”/hr. range overnight.  Although the flakes were all quite small (1-3 mm) and grainy at observations time, we’ve actually got some larger ones up to 15 mm falling now.  The snow density overall was a bit above the 10% H2O I was getting last night, and waking through the snow during observations it certainly had some upside down feel, so I think there were some larger flakes in the stack at some point overnight as well.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.63 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.5

Snow Density: 9.5% H2O

Temperature: 10.9 F

Sky:  Snow (1 to 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 26.0 inches

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

How much at the stake? Must be over 30"

Yes, we’re actually right at 30” now – that’s the top of my main stake, so I had to insert the taller one now since it could easily go over.  This snow has been around 10% H2O as well, so it’s not settling a ton.

• Like 1

Measured 4" at midnight, then all hell broke loose with the winds over night, seemed like 30-50 mph gusts all night and into early AM. Drifts and a few bare spots in yard. Hard to really tell how much..everything seems blown off the top into the woods, it was definitely coming down pretty good overnight with the winds.rps20190120_115404.thumb.jpg.3fa789f0ab9b0b3684b20c6f23dc0ccd.jpg

rps20190120_110210.thumb.jpg.11f695326b27d8b03d93af76c01e3aa8.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m not in a great wind spot to begin with but I haven’t noticed any wind to speak of. 

Yeah, had some strong SE winds last night which are always bad here.  I honestly didn't think they were going to be that strong.Should have almost been a high wind warning for the western slopes down here.

Picking up a couple inches of some nice dendrites  on the back end now.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Yes, we’re actually right at 30” now – that’s the top of my main stake, so I had to insert the taller one now since it could easily go over.  This snow has been around 10% H2O as well, so it’s not settling a ton.

Up to 27" here, with today's 10-11".  Pack is solid except for today's pow, though even that has been 10:1 (at low singles) due to tiny flakes.  The stake goes up to 61" before I'd have to think of an extension - tops here has been 49" in 2009.