Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I wasn’t home until later in the evening to check on snow, but I only found a tenth of an inch of accumulation from yesterday’s system at our location, and it didn’t look like there had been too much accumulation in this area.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 16.0 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 19.0 inches

We’re just at the initial stages leading up to the potential snow over the weekend, but I got a text early this morning indicating that our area was under a Winter Storm Watch.  We’re still early for any sort of official projected accumulations maps, but from the BTV NWS website we can see that the watches are already wall to wall throughout the area:

17JAN19A.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Definitely taking the under on 22" here. 

No way in hell Bennington gets 22". I'd say 12" there maximum, likely less. They'll get shadowed on the east wind and may flirt with pingers for a bit Sunday AM.

You'll more likely avoid pingers at your latitude, but 22" still seems too high unless you get some midlevel fronto action. I'd go 14-18" for your spot. 

22" maybe here IMBY if I can avoid pingers.

1 minute ago, wxmanmitch said:

No way in hell Bennington gets 22". I'd say 12" there maximum, likely less. They'll get shadowed on the east wind and may flirt with pingers for a bit Sunday AM.

You'll more likely avoid pingers at your latitude, but 22" still seems too high unless you get some midlevel fronto action. I'd go 14-18" for your spot. 

22" maybe here IMBY if I can avoid pingers.

Exactly--east/NE wind here isn't AS bad as a SE wind, but still will downslope. 

Only way to get 2ft in any valley town from DDH up through RUT is to rot under a deform band for a few hours and pile up some high ratio fluff.  It can happen, just don't think this is the event for it.

One of those March storms last year I think dropped in 30" in Adams MA, so it can happen. I think that was the same event you had the 18" in 3 hours, cant recall for sure though.

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I found 0.3” of snow on the boards and light snow falling this morning from the current system affecting the area.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 18.0 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Latest from BTV

2019.01.18 Expected Snowfall.png

I just don't what Im missing.  This looks like a 9-14" snowfall region wide.  Where are these 18-24" amounts coming from?  Perhaps a few days ago with 2" plus qpf but the trend has been down.   To my eyes this is just a fairly regular NNE snowfall, easy to remove fairly low impact.  So much hype in my area. 

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just don't what Im missing.  This looks like a 9-14" snowfall region wide.  Where are these 18-24" amounts coming from?  Perhaps a few days ago with 2" plus qpf but the trend has been down.   To my eyes this is just a fairly regular NNE snowfall, easy to remove fairly low impact.  So much hype in my area. 

It seems to come down to getting into one of those fronto bands and racking up some high ratio stuff and getting some 15/18:1 ratios. Your right, the 2" qpf runs seem gone, so will need to have some nice snow growth and pile it up quickly.  Dendrite mentioned it in the other thread and ALY mentioned it in their disco too some.

Further north, expect snow rates to increase to 1
to 3 inches per hour with excellent pcpn efficiency in the
dendritic growth zone based on the plan view graphics and the
BUFKIT profiles.
A fluffy snowfall is expected from the Capital
Region/Berkshires north and west with 14-18:1 ratios

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.06” L.E.

We’ve partially cleared out and there’s no snow falling, so it looks like the totals above will be the final values for this storm.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 4.6 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Lol, it is kind of funny how PF and crew up there might jack.  Definitely some taint concerns for Mitch and I down here in SVT now.

It’s been a remarkably steady forecast for this area through all the clown maps. As others rode the roller coaster up and down, they’ve all been consistent up here. 

Wishing you guys all the best up there! This about when I would be worrying about the mesoscale factors in BTV (which on several occasions boosted me, especially during Pi Day). Anyway if you want to see cliff diving, stop by the Southeast thread. I laugh at that now because, well it is the Southeast!