Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There's like 2" of new a couple miles from me and then it's freezing rain at the mountain a few miles further up the road.  Crazy.

It’s funny, I saw a flake or two at observations time this morning, but even after only a couple of days without snow, I was already getting into the rhythm of just reporting total snowpack depth and it totally slipped my mind to get that trace down.  It wasn’t until I was driving toward Burlington and the flakes became a bit more frequent that it finally clicked, so I went back and updated my observations.  I haven’t seen anything too substantial here in Burlington, and certainly nothing in terms of accumulation, but we have had some flakes at times.

18 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It’s funny, I saw a flake or two at observations time this morning, but even after only a couple of days without snow, I was already getting into the rhythm of just reporting total snowpack depth and it totally slipped my mind to get that trace down.  It wasn’t until I was driving toward Burlington and the flakes became a bit more frequent that it finally clicked, so I went back and updated my observations.  I haven’t seen anything too substantial here in Burlington, and certainly nothing in terms of accumulation, but we have had some flakes at times.

Yeah I've been surprised.  We've had 1.5" so far sticking to everything and still snowing nicely at times.

I asked BTV WFO about it because its actually freezing rain/drizzle at the mountain and snowing in town.  They said what's happening in town is actually falling from a very low stratus deck around 2,000ft as that's where the inversion is.  It's so cold under the inversion we are getting decent snow growth at times too.  They said they had similar reports of FZDZ at Smuggs and on the west side.

Pretty interesting little meso-scale stuff going on around here.

Very picturesque winter morning here in Stowe though with this light snow.

xndwxtL.jpg

s4EF9lZ.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Very nice shots Powder! Looks like a big on may be on the way up there! In the last event here we missed the snow but parts of the region were hit hard by an ice storm:

50295313_10105930277213839_4324510696696

Man. I really miss seeing your VT pics!  Great stuff down there though.  I think this is my favorite

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Man. I really miss seeing your VT pics!  Great stuff down there though.  I think this is my favorite

Thank you and believe me I miss it badly. I wish I could be there for this next storm. I plan on a Feb trip.

Yeah great pics Eyewall!

Looks like about 2" here today with no radar echoes present.  It's just stuck to every little branch and twig. 

Like a classic New England postcard of white steeple church surrounded by snowy hardwoods.  The craziest thing is there's a reverse snow line.  The only snow is in the valleys while the higher terrain has no snow and saw freezing rain/drizzle.  Has anyone ever seen that before?  Lower elevations seeing a nice snowy day while the higher elevations are snow free? 

Here was BTV's discussion of what happened:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
As of 1026 AM EST Tuesday...Based on reports and soundings this
morning we`ve added in mention of freezing drizzle across the
areas this morning that precip is falling. The moisture is
confined to the low stratus layer at roughly 1500-2000 feet.
This morning it was cold enough at that layer to drop into the
snow growth zone and so some of the supercooled water developed
into ice and fell as snow. However higher up the column was
unsaturated and so cloud ice never formed. Thus generally above
1500-2000 feet its been mostly freezing drizzle. Based on
soundings it does appear that aloft the saturation begins to
develop and so I`d anticipate a mix of either light snow or
freezing drizzle through the afternoon in the higher elevation
sites.

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah great pics Eyewall!

Looks like about 2" here today with no radar echoes present.  It's just stuck to every little branch and twig. 

Like a classic New England postcard of white steeple church surrounded by snowy hardwoods.  The craziest thing is there's a reverse snow line.  The only snow is in the valleys while the higher terrain has no snow and saw freezing rain/drizzle.  Has anyone ever seen that before?  Lower elevations seeing a nice snowy day while the higher elevations are snow free? 

Here was BTV's discussion of what happened:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
As of 1026 AM EST Tuesday...Based on reports and soundings this
morning we`ve added in mention of freezing drizzle across the
areas this morning that precip is falling. The moisture is
confined to the low stratus layer at roughly 1500-2000 feet.
This morning it was cold enough at that layer to drop into the
snow growth zone and so some of the supercooled water developed
into ice and fell as snow. However higher up the column was
unsaturated and so cloud ice never formed. Thus generally above
1500-2000 feet its been mostly freezing drizzle. Based on
soundings it does appear that aloft the saturation begins to
develop and so I`d anticipate a mix of either light snow or
freezing drizzle through the afternoon in the higher elevation
sites.

It is amazing what happens in VT sometimes with microclimates and meso features. 

12 hours ago, alex said:

I’m so confused. How are these pictures from today??? It looks like early fall. Is something funny happening with the board?

That is because they are from NC. I just like to share what is happening here with you guys as a VT expat for now (I miss VT for sure).  

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Sneaky cold this morning after a semi mild day yesterday. 2F with a breeze and Gene was -1F.

-5 when I checked the max-min, and then the indoor-outdoor slipped another degree.  Just enough wind to bite a little bit.  The 0.3" flurry from last evening is sublimating away - 0nly 0.01" LE (and wasn't much over 0.005".)