Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Haha.

The classic evening photos walking to my car at the base of Mansfield.

Tonight was on a whole other level.  Essentially a White Hurricane at this point.  All day long.  Gusts of 50-60mph even in the base area with snowfall averaging close to 1"/hr.  Another 8-10" seemed to fall during the daylight hours.

Truly high-end winter storm stuff.

49807053_10103629837673070_6732756034168

Epicosity 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Solstice said:

Use a snowboard. White piece of plywood or anything that is white essentially. Read up here for more

https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf

Think he means in the wind. A snowboard won't do you any good. Take ten measurements in the most undrifted areas and average, of course you need to measure in a cleared area unless you take depth measurements religiously.  

Decent moisture continues to get wrung out by the Spine.  There can be significant downwind drift under the beam on that 40kt jet, just crushing the ski areas.  Snowing better than I expected it would tonight at home too.  Maybe an 1" in the past 3 hours or so, just a steady fluff.  This snow quality is like the tail end of a deformation band in a nor'easter...when its 15F and huge dendrites are floating down, sideways, up, any direction.  It takes like 42 flakes to get an inch. 

But after a good storm, it's a nice topping on the wet stuff from yesterday, that was lighter last night, lightest tonight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Decent moisture continues to get wrung out by the Spine.  There can be significant downwind drift under the beam on that 40kt jet, just crushing the ski areas.  Snowing better than I expected it would tonight at home too.  Maybe an 1" in the past 3 hours or so, just a steady fluff.  This snow quality is like the tail end of a deformation band in a nor'easter...when its 15F and huge dendrites are floating down, sideways, up, any direction.  It takes like 42 flakes to get an inch. 

But after a good storm, it's a nice topping on the wet stuff from yesterday, that was lighter last night, lightest tonight.

Good storm?,  your killing me Smalls

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Think he means in the wind. A snowboard won't do you any good. Take ten measurements in the most undrifted areas and average, of course you need to measure in a cleared area unless you take depth measurements religiously.  

^ I would also suggest to measure in drifted and undrifted areas to get a range of the snowpack. Unless you don't want to posthole. Lol

1 hour ago, Solstice said:

Use a snowboard. White piece of plywood or anything that is white essentially. Read up here for more

https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf

That talks about a snowboard but doesnt say what it is or how you build one. I imagine a board would not be good in windy conditions, since snow will just blow off of it. It seems the idea of taking measurements in various spots would be the way to go based on that article, but I need some flat ground level spots to clear... My deck is not a good choice as it gets wind and snow from the roof so it could severely underestimate or overestimate 

56 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just saw this. Makes sense and in line with what I was thinking. The stake would probably be my best option except that it's completely caked at the moment and it would also not account for settling. I'm curious about what it's at... Looks around 2 ft or so from what's left of it. It's a deep pack for sure at this point 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man you guys got smoked good. That’s awesome. 2’ packs. What a crazy gradient. 

It's great that we've had a decent winter so far in spite of December, and that we managed to maintain a decent pack in spite of the ridiculousness of that month. I do hope you guys get in on the action soon though. 

54 minutes ago, alex said:

Just saw this. Makes sense and in line with what I was thinking. The stake would probably be my best option except that it's completely caked at the moment and it would also not account for settling. I'm curious about what it's at... Looks around 2 ft or so from what's left of it. It's a deep pack for sure at this point 

Snowboard on the ground. jspin can get away with an elevated board since he has little wind, but most of us need to have it on the ground. With every clearing you place it on a new spot on top of the pack so that drifting snow doesn't fill in your previous cleared area.

Event totals: 22.5” Snow/1.64” L.E.

The clouds have just about cleared out here now and the snow has stopped, so that closes the books on this storm and the numbers above represent the final storm totals.  In terms of snowfall, this storm has now taken the top spot for this season at our location, beating out Winter Storm Bruce from the end of November.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: -1.1 F

Sky:  Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 24.0 inches

• Like 1

What a totally berserk run!!  Marginal RA/SN in N.Maine followed by feet of SN, then 1-2" cold RA (maritime air?  Venusian air?) then back to SN.  C.Maine has RA changing to 10-20"+, EPO get a 5" rainstorm.  If the shutdown goes on much longer/GFS get crazier, NNE will be modeled as either fully glaciated or washed away.