Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is dumping this morning at the ski resorts.  West slope getting crushed too.  

IMG_1782.GIF.051979cd236c5549664d2c62043be138.GIF

I haven’t seen any outrageous rates here at the house yet, but thus far this morning there’s been a steady light to moderate snow out there with some large flakes up to 15 mm at times.

SnowyClimate.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I haven’t seen any outrageous rates here at the house yet, but thus far this morning there’s been a steady light to moderate snow out there with some large flakes up to 15 mm at times.

SnowyClimate.jpg

Yeah we had an hour or so of 1"/hr at the ski resort but now the wind has really picked up and with the fluffy snow it's hard to say what accums are exactly.  I'd venture 1-2" as a safe bet so far.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we had an hour or so of 1"/hr at the ski resort but now the wind has really picked up and with the fluffy snow it's hard to say what accums are exactly.  I'd venture 1-2" as a safe bet so far.

We had a period of small flakes for while this morning, but as of late morning it’s changed over to huge flakes and much more vigorous snowfall at the house.  We shouldn’t have any problem hitting the 2-4” in our forecast since we’re already getting close to 3” from the event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Did the flow just become unblocked?  We had been having light snow on and off most of the morning and then bam! it started coming down pretty hard. 

Yeah there was s big shift in the Froude numbers around noon...from like 0.7 to 2.0.  Blocked to way unblocked freely moving air.

Snowy day in the upslope region.  Near blizzard conditions at times above 1,200ft.  

Found 4-5" of fake but real looking snow in the parking lots at the end of the day, wind made it impossible to see exactly how much. 

About half that amount fell at home it looks like, eyeballing at least a couple inches or so.  Roads snowpacked and with -SN still falling (plus a lot of blowing and drifting) it feels like a stormy night.  

IMG_1797.thumb.JPG.f45f9a91d0a2eb1e54060d37f92fb1b6.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Plows are out today in the upslope blitz, whiteout most of the day at the mountain.  Even MVL has been down to 1/2sm SN today at times.

Heading home from riding at Stowe today we saw plenty of fairly heavy snowfall.  I grabbed a radar shot form a bit earlier and you can just see those streamers blasting across the spine:

06JAN19A.gif

We had a fantastic afternoon of riding at the mountain as well – I’ll put together some notes and images when I get a chance.

4 hours ago, alex said:

Squally but really starting to pile up (haven't measured though). The squalls mean business and the howling wind makes it feel stormier than it is

Hear the groomers may be heading out tonite,  hope to be backup after the next dumping.

Event totals: 3.9” Snow/0.32” L.E.

The totals above represent the final values for this event.  With about a third of an inch of liquid equivalent picked up down here at the house, and likely more in the higher elevations, it was actually a pretty nice resurfacing storm, especially on top of other recent rounds of snow.  It certainly felt that way when we were out at Stowe yesterday.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 5.0 F

Sky:  Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

ALY with 2 separate references to "snow piling up" regarding the follow up system. 
Seems to be a tricky forecast, could be decent,especially for higher elevations

Tue night into Wednesday...
A second system will be riding on the
heels of the first one with an evolving mid and upper level
trough over the Great Lakes Region into the Northeast
Locations north and east of the
Capital Region, especially across southern VT, and the
Adirondacks may pile up the snow and may need Winter Head lines
with possibly a Winter Storm Watch. For now, we have 1-3" of
snow in the lower elevations. Lows Tue night will generally be
in the mid 20s to mid 30s.
---------------------------------------------------------