Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

@wxeyeNH

Gene,

I got to thinking. I think you can use your station on top of your roof as an anemometer transmitter. In weatherlink, set that transmitter (#1) to be an anemometer transmitter (wind). Make your new station be transmitter #2 and call that the ISS.

You want your #1 transmitter to be the anemometer because it will receive the highest sampling rate. Just change the DIP switches on the 2nd transmitter to read the console.

The DIP switches for #1 would be off/off/off. #2 would be off/off/on.

Of course, if you want to have both stations being read by each console, then keep it as it is. This would let you have your wind up high and everything else down low though.

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

@wxeyeNH

Gene,

I got to thinking. I think you can use your station on top of your roof as an anemometer transmitter. In weatherlink, set that transmitter (#1) to be an anemometer transmitter (wind). Make your new station be transmitter #2 and call that the ISS.

You want your #1 transmitter to be the anemometer because it will receive the highest sampling rate. Just change the DIP switches on the 2nd transmitter to read the console.

The DIP switches for #1 would be off/off/off. #2 would be off/off/on.

Of course, if you want to have both stations being read by each console, then keep it as it is. This would let you have your wind up high and everything else down low though.

Thanks Brian.  Still working on getting the new anemometer on the roof with it's own transmitter.  I had to order a special bracket to hold the new pole, Home Depot didn't have it.  That should come by Amazon tomorrow. So when all is said and done this weekend I should have 2 weather stations and consoles.  Old  ISS/ anemometer on the roof. (No fan).  New ISS in the field and new anemometer on a new pole with its own transmitter on the roof.  I don't trust the old anemometer with readings, its well over 15 years old.  I got my CWOP number and once I have the new anemometer functioning, will set up weatherlink to upload.  Fingers crossed this will all be done by this weekend.  Thanks for your input.  By you alerting me my dew was low and giving me that link to that  $599 price I would not have done this upgrade.  (Actually it was $599 plus tripod plus anemometer transmitter, poles and brackets)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

18z GFS was run from my basement.

Gradient pattern type look to a lot of events.

qR8LNoG.png

I saw your post PF, so I looked through the snow output on a few recent runs.  I got a kick out of this one from the FV3 that I’m guessing you also must have tinkered with in your basement.  It sure makes you think that the FV3 gets the concept of upslope in the Northern Greens:

14DEC18A.jpg

1045am  Overcast and 26F.   I was hoping to melt a bit of the glacier today and tomorrow.  Not going to happen today.  Going to struggle to get above freezing.  This pack has so much water in it that even tomorrows upper 30's will not do much.  Constant, complete snowcover for about 1 month now.

New Vantage Pro 2 with aspirating fan, weather station is now fully sited and is up and running!

Took a bit of work but got the anemometer on the roof with the new transmitter.  So the new ISS is in the field at 2 meters and anemometer is over the roof at around 10 meters.  It is high enough above peak that wind turbulence should not affect it.  For now, the old Vantage 2 pro is still up.  It will be interesting to note wind gusts as both anemometers are within several feet of each other.  Does a 15+ old anemometer slow down in high wind?  We will soon find out.  Temperature wise the aspirating fan makes a big difference in the sun.  New station can run a full 2F cooler.  Right now with mixed air and nightfall, the 2 temperature probes are about .5F different.  The new station seems to always run a bit cooler.  

Now that everything is set I started uploading data to the CWOP site in the past hour.  My number is FW4292.   I don't know I have to tell them I am live or they just realize it?  

Below is a picture of the 2 anemometers.  At some point, probably this spring I will take the old station down. 

Weatherwise a few breaks of sun today.  Finally up to 34-35F.  Snow is softening but I am not expecting much melting tomorrow.  

Weather Station.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I saw your post PF, so I looked through the snow output on a few recent runs.  I got a kick out of this one from the FV3 that I’m guessing you also must have tinkered with in your basement.  It sure makes you think that the FV3 gets the concept of upslope in the Northern Greens:

14DEC18A.jpg

@powderfreak we need you to re-run today's 18Z from your basement, please!

It’s been a couple of days now since the last snow, but the BTV NWS forecast discussion suggests a couple of chances are coming up soon.  They may sort of blend together, but there’s some potential from a northward push of moisture on Sunday night, and the possible upslope on Monday night into Tuesday:

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 323 AM EST Saturday...Surface low passes well south of the area Sunday night...but there will be a northward push of some light precipitation up across the area. Precipitation will mainly be in the form of light snow...but any accumulations will be less than an inch. This precipitation will move east of the region early Monday morning and there should be a little break in the precipitation before shortwave trough drops down from Canada Monday afternoon. This will increase dynamic support over the region and we should start to see an increase in areal coverage of precipitation from northwest to southeast across the area. With highs in the 30s there may be some rain or snow in the larger valleys with mountain locations remaining all snow. Any snow amounts will be less than an inch.

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

As of 323 AM EST Saturday...The best chance for accumulating snow will come Monday night as upslope flow develops over the area and enhances precipitation over the northern Adirondacks...the west slopes of the Green Mountains...and north central and northeast Vermont. Not a lot of moisture given the shortwave trough exiting the area came from Canada...but can see 1 to 4 inches of snow over the higher terrain. Cold air advection continues Monday night into Tuesday and thus high temperatures on Tuesday should only be a few degrees warmer than the lows Monday night. Looking at highs on Tuesday in the upper teens to mid 20s. Any lingering snow showers on Tuesday should be confined to the higher terrain of northern Vermont.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Heck even Jiminy Peak in Mass has had a 6-pack for like 15 years...those have been around for a while.  The 8-pack is brand new.  Used to just be 8-person gondolas, now a chairlifts.

And heated to boot...

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

3km NAM gone wild at 00z between the coastal storm and following upslope.

Checking on the BTV NWS point forecasts in this area, all told I’m seeing something in the range of 3-6” down here at our site, and then more of a 4-8” range for the high elevations through Tuesday.  Those ranges seem pretty reasonable – in the BTV NWS forecast discussion, they mention a couple of inches through Monday in the near term and then they have 6 inches noted in the short term:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

Due to marginal boundary layer temperatures, snow accumulations will be light with only a dusting expected in the valleys and perhaps 1-2" across the higher terrain. The event continues into Monday night with additional accumulations expected, and we touch more on that below.

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 339 AM EST Sunday...Light upslope snow on Tuesday should come to an end during the afternoon hours. Expecting the northern Adirondacks of New York and the northern half of Vermont to see anywhere from 1 to 4 inches of snow starting Monday afternoon, but continuing Monday night into early Tuesday. The highest portions of the northern Green Mountains in Vermont could see as much as 6 inches of new snow.

19 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

@alex @J.Spin @powderfreak @radarman

Today in Big Sky, the first high speed 8 pack heated bubble lift opened in the US. Big Sky had to bring in Doppelmayr workers from Europe because no one in the US has anything like it or could build it

https://liftblog.com/2018/12/15/big-sky-doppelmayr-christen-ramcharger-8/

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I found 0.1” of snow on the boards at observations time this morning from the current system.  The next part of this storm is expected to affect the area later today, with our point forecast suggesting additional snow in the 2-4” range, and higher amounts at elevation.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

National Weather Service Burlington VT

636 AM EST Mon Dec 17 2018

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 341 AM EST Monday...Shortwave energy rounding the base of the approaching trough begins to shift into northern New York after the noon hour and then into Vermont around the evening commute with winds increasing from the northwest. This is when we`ll see upslope snow shower activity increase in coverage across the higher terrain of the Adirondacks and northern Vermont which will blossom during the overnight hours. Based on forecast froude numbers, the low level flow will be largely unblocked so the highest accumulations are expected to be along and downwind of the mountain spines where a general 1-3" is expected above 1000 feet, and up to 6" above 2500 feet by sunrise Tuesday.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

Back home from Tahoe! 7/8" fresh snow on the ground, but really surprised to find 11" at the stake, which is EXACTLY what it was at when I left. If you add today's inch and the 2" we got when I was back, it means we lost less than 3" of snowpack during the warmup. Surprising and impressive - but I guess it's pretty much solid ice at this point. 

Tahoe was awesome. Skied Heavenly, Northstar and Sqaw Valley. It's like Spring skiing every day there, such a different experience. Scenery was also beautiful. And my 2 year old took her first turns without using the straps! But I'm glad to be home! 

49 minutes ago, alex said:

Back home from Tahoe! 7/8" fresh snow on the ground, but really surprised to find 11" at the stake, which is EXACTLY what it was at when I left. If you add today's inch and the 2" we got when I was back, it means we lost less than 3" of snowpack during the warmup. Surprising and impressive - but I guess it's pretty much solid ice at this point. 

Tahoe was awesome. Skied Heavenly, Northstar and Sqaw Valley. It's like Spring skiing every day there, such a different experience. Scenery was also beautiful. And my 2 year old took her first turns without using the straps! But I'm glad to be home! 

The "warmup" at my place was 40/22 on Saturday and 36/12 yesterday.  I'd expect your maxes to have been a bit lower and mins similar - not much melting from that with near-solstice sun angle.  Now a significant RA/40s event late week would be different, though the pack is still double digits here and very solid.

On the trip home from Burlington, accumulations of new snow began to appear right around Jonesville, and the snowfall intensity just kept ramping up as I headed deeper into and through the spine.  When I first got to Waterbury around 4:30 PM there was a steady light snowfall, but within a few minutes it had really intensified up to what I’d call moderate intensity.  Here at the house I’d say the snowfall is light to moderate with about an inch on the boards.