Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

59 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This weather must be perfect for powder. Nice dry days. Not even close to melting. I really hope I didn’t miss the best skiing this season. :lol: thinking of going maybe Feb. 

It really couldn't be any better.  I mean the past month has been as high-end as it gets for the calendar dates...and I can keep saying that but it is still bordering on unbelievable.  Backcountry lines that normally don't get skied until February were hit at the end of November and early December.  The glades have been skied since before Thanksgiving and it's snowed feet since then.  Pretty much everything was in play this weekend and this week until next weekend's thaw.

After the heavy dense snows of November, the first 10 days of December featured plenty of the upslope and mesoscale fluff that skiers love.  The turning conditions couldn't be better in that you want good QPF heavy base layer snow followed by fluffy powder on top. 

This time of year before Christmas is almost always on snowmaking routes but instead it's been game on mid-winter ski anything you want for a couple weeks.

48357960_10103604965776550_6875400870255

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It really couldn't be any better.  I mean the past month has been as high-end as it gets for the calendar dates...and I can keep saying that but it is still bordering on unbelievable.  Backcountry lines that normally don't get skied until February were hit at the end of November and early December.  The glades have been skied since before Thanksgiving and it's snowed feet since then.  Pretty much everything was in play this weekend and this week until next weekend's thaw.

After the heavy dense snows of November, the first 10 days of December featured plenty of the upslope and mesoscale fluff that skiers love.  The turning conditions couldn't be better in that you want good QPF heavy base layer snow followed by fluffy powder on top. 

This time of year before Christmas is almost always on snowmaking routes but instead it's been game on mid-winter ski anything you want for a couple weeks.

Yeah, although I knew to expect good conditions, I couldn’t believe how good it is.  Really, as good as it gets.  I did some lines that r rarely in good shape even in the heart of winter, and they were great.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Figures geezuz

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I will say, after the past 4 weeks... I won't be able to complain about missing a few good snow events (aka smokin' cirrus) or even a SNE blizzard whenever that time comes in January or February.  It's just been sustained unbelievable winter in the mountains.

I know I shouldn't feel this way given climo..but man I am envious lol. That looks amazing. Given the weeklies, perhaps the gradient lines up again for NNE. Who knows. 

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Might be blowing off your roof. ;)

CAVU here tonight. 

Hmm... nope, I checked the other cameras too and there's definitely something falling, but it's just a very light coating. Definitely something weird with one camera - the wind makes it seem much heavier, but there's also some flakes falling. WTF? 

Just now, alex said:

Hmm... nope, I checked the other cameras too and there's definitely something falling, but it's just a very light coating. Definitely something weird with one camera - the wind makes it seem much heavier, but there's also some flakes falling. WTF? 

Hmm, if it's snowing then the clouds are too small for even the new satellite to see. Even MWN is 130 miles and clear. But it's also below zero up there so maybe some IC developing. 

Here are a few more shots from our southern snow in NC. The Durham total at my place was somewhere around 9 or 10 inches but the depth never exceeded 7 due to the mixing. Obviously the snow here is not air fluff either. The last two shots are Raleigh on day 2 of the storm with mixing and not Durham. Raleigh got considerably less snow. Anyway I hope to get up there for a couple of ski days on a visit this winter. I miss it for sure:

48362177_10105851757308359_9397372981765

48372043_10105851758620729_5263069537451

48358367_10105851758590789_5276623019719

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Here are a few more shots from our southern snow in NC. The Durham total at my place was somewhere around 9 or 10 inches but the depth never exceeded 7 due to the mixing. Obviously the snow here is not air fluff either. The last two shots are Raleigh on day 2 of the storm with mixing and not Durham. Raleigh got considerably less snow. Anyway I hope to get up there for a couple of ski days on a visit this winter. I miss it for sure:

Given the foliage on some of those photos, that looks like an early October snow up here.  Nice snowliage.

• Like 1

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.04” L.E.

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well after a 24-36 hour break, our nightly snow is back...

NWS says 2-4" mountains and D-2" lower elevations.  

I wasn't even paying attention, didn't know it was going to snow tonight.

It was actually thanks to you posting that I was aware of a couple of our recent stealthy snow events, but this one I noticed because I was out yesterday evening.  Being finals week, I was giving a late exam yesterday and left UVM around 8 PM or so.  Flakes were just starting to appear in Burlington, and the snowfall really ramped up as I headed to Williston and stopped in for an errand at the Taft Corners area.  The roads were already taking on a coating of snow there, but the snowfall just tapered off to nothing as I dropped down into the center of Richmond.  The snow started to pick up as I approached Jonesville, and in line with the usual trend I figured it would just continue to intensify all the way to the house, but it totally stopped by the time I reached Bolton.  Either the storm was still moving in, or the Froude was on the low side I guess (there was some cool discussion about that in the BTV AFD as the system moved into the area).  It really wasn’t until midnight or so that the snow began to pick up at our place, and we had some huge flakes up to 1” for a bit there.  Flakes were small at observations time this morning, but picked up later so we’ve had some additional accumulation now.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 21.2 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Either the storm was still moving in, or the Froude was on the low side I guess (there was some cool discussion about that in the BTV AFD as the system moved into the area). 

I added in some of the discussion I saw last night about the current system, it looked like the forecaster was sort of debating with him/herself as they weighed things, although there could have been more discussion behind the scenes and previous elements of the discussion that they were addressing.  I thought they were cursing the Froude Values at one point, but I think it was a typo.  It says the near term was “RSD” in the attributes at the bottom.  Anyway, great stuff on aspects of the current system.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

703 PM EST Tue Dec 11 2018

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

As of 646 PM EST Tuesday...Compact upper shortwaves moving across Lake Champlain during the winter along with surface boundary and moisture is never what the synoptic models suggest.

Yes...some snow showers are expected but history has sown that these scenarios lead to more than we bargained for. !@z FROUDE values <0.5 with WNW flow...shortwave and surface boundary favorable. Deep moisture is lacking but atmosphere is gradually moistening with approaching shortwave/front and with time should moisten. In fact...18z FROUDE has just arrived and supported this previous thinking with greater moisture and actually spitting out QPF, thus feel rather confident in the changes that have been made.

Here we go...as the shortwave and boundary move into Champlan vly by 03-04z we should see an enhancement in activity over the lake and across Northern Champlain Vly...this should continue til 07-08z then subside but stay locked in the mountains thru 12z. I didn`t go gang busters with snowfall amounts but definitely increased to be noticeable. In the immediate Northrn Champlain Vly we could see an inch or so and the western slope communites like underhill/cambridge could witness 2-3 inches with 4 inches along the mountains. Time will tell.

10 hours ago, alex said:

More mystery precip tonight. Looks like extremely light snow on camera but I can’t really tell. Too late to call My house sitter and ask but it’s weird.

The  snow on the railing looks like it has a bit more height to it.  I only check it 10-15 times a day so I may be wrong...........

13 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Hows winter? All y'all up at the ski resorts are the only place getting a real winter...im perpetutually stuck in the end of autumn mode...i should go check the pond down just at the bottom of my hill, see if there is any good ice...that's about all i got to look forward to.

I don’t really follow the temperatures, since for me what really matters is if it’s cold enough to get some snow, but I think they’ve been below average based on the numbers I see PF mention.  December snowfall has been just about right on track for average at our place (mean December snowfall through today is 14.0” and we’ve had 14.1” for the month so far).  Snowpack is at 10”, which is only about 3” above average, thus things are pretty close there as well.  So really, it’s been a pretty typical December in the snowfall/snowpack department, we’re just way ahead of the game because of an extra 20” of snow in November.  That’s evident in the season snowfall – we’re at 51.1” of snowfall, which is a typical place to be at the end of December, not the middle of the month.

• Thanks 1