Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

Event totals: 2.7” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We picked up an additional 0.4” of extremely dry fluff with this morning’s activity, and there’s still a bit of light snowfall around this evening that I’m attributing to the same system.  There do appear to be chances for light snow continuing through the weekend and into next week:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

329 PM EST Fri Dec 7 2018

.SYNOPSIS...

A few weak disturbances will bring chances for light snow showers over the weekend and early next week, as well as reinforcing shots of below normal temperatures.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 20.1 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice to see you post Jeremy.  Is Raleigh under all kinds of snow emergancy's?  5" probably shut the city down.  Glad your getting some snow down there.  Happy Holidays.....

Yeah down here this will be a disaster. Hundreds of thousands of power outages too, especially wherever a period of ZR occurs. The infrastructure can't handle it with little in the way of snow removal equipment. It will be high impact if it pans out.

Climbed Cardigan this morning /afternoon. Driving up 93 was surprised not to see really any snow until exit 18, Northfield. Built pretty quickly after exit 20, Laconia. Two feet of snow on higher elevations of mountain. Driving back towards Newfound Lake, I was looking up at the ridge for wxeyenh's house!

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Big flakes falling in the flood lights.  What a stretch of days with snow falling.  Great snow growth, cold low level generated stuff.  Pulse of moisture on westerly flow, snow blowing downwind of radar echoes a bit too probably.

Yeah, we're officially in the snow growth zone here at GYX...

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

I didn’t know about the snow falling last night until I saw PF’s post with the radar image, but I caught it in time to make some 12:00 A.M. observations.  We’ve already had some fluffy rounds of snow this season, but indeed last night’s snowfall was right up there.  Sometimes you can get a sense of the flake structure by the rate at which the snow fall through the air, and last night that rate was slooooooow.  I’ve had some cores this season where I could only pull a trace of liquid, so didn’t calculate the snow to liquid ratio, but last night’s analysis (0.88 mL of liquid from a 1.1” core) did actually round to 0.01” of liquid and allow for a calculation.  It’s the highest ratio I’ve seen so far this season.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 110.0

Snow Density: 0.9% H2O

Temperature: 14.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

Temperature: 12.9 F

Sky:  Flurries

I was up at the mountain yesterday morning for what was actually Bolton Valley’s first “official” day of the season, and can pass along a quick report and some pictures.  Temperatures were cold to start, with single digits F, and then it was well up into the teens F by the time I left around midday.  The settled powder depths we found were just about a foot everywhere, so I suspect the 14 inches they’re reported over the week is a bit on the low side, but it could depend where during the settling cycles they made their measurements.  Bottomless powder turns were available on moderate and low angle terrain, but anything with a black diamond pitch or more, you’d still be hitting the subsurface at times because there just wasn’t enough liquid equivalent to get to that level.  Skiing was still fine on those steeper pitches, but mid and low-angle stuff was really sweet.  I took a trip up through one of the main single family home neighborhoods up there, which I think goes up to around 2,400’, and they are loaded with snow.  The snowpack is probably only about two feet or so, but after the addition of this week’s fluffy snow you can see a lot of spots where it’s just piling up on roof lines, roof snow is merging with the ground snow piles, etc.  I’ve got a few images from the day below, and the full report is available at our website.

08DEC18C.jpg

08DEC18B.jpg

08DEC18G.jpg

08DEC18A.jpg

08DEC18E.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Are we still in record territory regarding the snow stake? 20+", that's insane upslope.

48" at the stake... record for today is 56" in 1981.  Looks like December 5th was the end of the record breaking streak for snow depth.  Very solid base with a deep layer of settled powder on top.  There seemed like at least 3" of fluffy snowfall last night in the Notch area and off the Gondola, too.  It all helps out.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice Eyewall!  Missed your snow pics.

Thank you! Just northwest of me saw 14" and plenty of areas of a foot or more in the Triad which is very rare in these parts. The unfortunate thing is the rain after that. The high terrain got a couple of feet.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

Based on the BTV NWS forecast discussion I’m attributing the snow from last night into today to the weak cold front passing through the area.  There was very light snowfall evident through much of the Winooski Valley westward until about Richmond this morning, and the sky began to clear from that point on.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

Temperature: 24.3 F

Sky:  Flurries/Light Snow (4-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Have to thread the needle to find the fresh powder after a busy weekend, enjoying the mid-winter turns while they are here.  This week should be sweet, some sunshine and reasonable temps.

Indeed the powder is staying great with these temperatures, so it’s really just skiers chewing things up at this point.  I was back up at Bolton yesterday afternoon for an outing with the family, and the couple of additional inches of fluff nicely topped things off.  It wasn’t going to reset areas that had already been tracked of course, but it did put a new layer on everything, and the powder depth seems to be staying right around the 1-foot mark in areas not affected by wind etc.  Spending time at both Stowe and Bolton each season, we do notice how the lack of high-speed lifts and lower overall skier numbers lets the powder last a lot longer at Bolton.  You don’t get that big Mansfield vert, but it’s hard to beat the high snowfall/low key vibe there.  A few shots from yesterday afternoon’s outing:

09DEC18B.jpg

09DEC18A.jpg

09DEC18D.jpg

09DEC18E.jpg

• Like 2