Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just heard a report that there might be a lot of cattle deaths with this storm.  Many hours of 60-75mph winds on the plains and hypothermia.  I really don't know much about Plain blizzards and how out of the ordinary this is.  Certainly not super cold but maybe with wet cattle and low wind chills?

This is a pretty extreme example, but this general evolution of a blizzard out there isn't uncommon. They're also certain to just lose a few cattle, like literally can't find them or they can't find their way home. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is a pretty extreme example, but this general evolution of a blizzard out there isn't uncommon. They're also certain to just lose a few cattle, like literally can't find them or they can't find their way home. 

This is rather upsetting actually. Poor animals :( 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

How do you know its a Davis, I could not find sensor info. Nice flat area of fields that station is on.

https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D8322

Registered Location

Latitude: 38° 39' 46" N (deg min sec), 38.6628° (decimal), 3839.77N (LORAN)
Longitude: 104° 15' 40" W (deg min sec), -104.2612° (decimal), 10415.67W (LORAN)
Elevation: 1873 metres (6145 feet)
County: El Paso, CO
Forecast Office: Pueblo (PUB)
Weather station Manager/Operator: Noah
Station type/software: Davis Vantage Pro 2/Vue with Weatherlink

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man, that's insane.  That looks like 4k feet or something back east during a strong storm...but to be seeing that in inhabited places and very populated areas like DEN is crazy.

Yeah I was in something like that at Bolton right before they shut it down.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

This is rather upsetting actually. Poor animals :( 

Yeah,  I saw an interview with a large cattle rancher.  He said it's calf season and the animals can't even find there way to feed bins.  He said its only been done a couple of times in Kansas but never in Colorado but they may try to use  Chinook helicopters to airdrop hay to herds stranded.  I don't know how accurate this is.

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah,  I saw an interview with a large cattle rancher.  He said it's calf season and the animals can't even find there way to feed bins.  He said its only been done a couple of times in Kansas but never in Colorado but they may try to use  Chinook helicopters to airdrop hay to herds stranded.  I don't know how accurate this is.

I hope so. I feel so bad for them. At least people know and are told it’s coming. I know animals have instincts but they need to be sheltered too and protected. 

Just watched that clip above.  Great report.  That is what true 0 vis is like.  99% of the time when reports say it's a whiteout outside it is not.  That report reminded me of the Winter Edu Trip I took to the summit of Mt Washington.  Went up in a Noreaster and the snowcat vis was 25 feel like that.  It inched along.  Superstorm for them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

Nashville is about a month ahead of Mass metro west in terms of the arrival of spring. The grass is growing. No leaf out yet but the maples are flowering. The understory in the the forested areas is starting to leaf out. Maybe a few storms tomorrow

80F tomorrow...enjoy.

4 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Nashville is about a month ahead of Mass metro west in terms of the arrival of spring. The grass is growing. No leaf out yet but the maples are flowering. The understory in the the forested areas is starting to leaf out. Maybe a few storms tomorrow

Do the the towns in Central Tennessee have tornado sirens?  I have a friend that lives east of Nashville and boy do they get some severe stuff from time to time.  Get those Guinea Pigs of yours outside for some nice green grass.  Enjoy your new job.  Have enjoyed your posts.

Gene

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just watched that clip above.  Great report.  That is what true 0 vis is like.  99% of the time when reports say it's a whiteout outside it is not.  That report reminded me of the Winter Edu Trip I took to the summit of Mt Washington.  Went up in a Noreaster and the snowcat vis was 25 feel like that.  It inched along.  Superstorm for them!

Been in 2 true whiteouts while driving, and that doesn't include the 6"/hr LES we got caught by on I-80 in western PA - those real whiteouts were ground blizzards under sunny skies. 
First came late in the frigid January of 1971 as I returned from a VT ski week (old Glen Ellen) and crossed into NY at Crown Point.  Champlain was probably almost all iced, so the N wind had a 100-mile fetch to gather snow.  I chased a tow truck (accident at NY end of bridge) until he got 25 yards ahead, and disappeared.  Met one car, headlights coming in view at about 10 yards but both of us were creeping and avoided contact.  Less than a mile to the woods, so only 10 minutes of terror.
Second was on the TC along the St. Lawrence downriver a ways from Quebec City, in early April when we had to travel thru Canada to reach our NW Maine lands.  Strong SW winds made the cuts in the range roads true zero vis - could literally not see the front of the pickup hood, but roads are arrow straight there, so drive and hope.  Going SW on the TC I found my throttle linkage was stuck, but fortunately the little straight 6 wouldn't push the pickup thru the wind faster than about 55, so I continued 40 miles to my planned exit at St. Jean Port-Joli, cleaned off the linkage, and was good to go. 

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What does "coastals" mean?  Seems like a loaded question because there are coastal lows all the time, some are just more out to sea than others.  

Ah, Ones that produced snow that actually tracked favorably for the region? Miller A's, Miller B's,  MECS, HECS? I knew what he meant, We have had plenty of over running events with the primary going thru the lakes or Upstate NY.