Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Our plan right now is like 4 nights in Jackson, followed by 4 or 5 in Yellowstone.

Jackson is great, but a bit of a hike to the parks. It's all good of course, but you could consider splitting up a bit and do a couple of nights in Jackson, a couple in the Tetons (there are some nice lodges on the lakes there!), and then a couple of days in the south side of the park (Old Faithful Lodge is awesome if you can do it, or one of the places around the Tetons), a couple of days on the Northwest side (West Yellowstone has some good lodging options) and a day on the Northeast side in Cook City MT. It will avoid you some driving (can be quite trafficky in the summer). Just some ideas - you really can't go wrong, that area is just amazing. 

Try it in the winter some time too... It's a weenie dream lol

5 hours ago, alex said:

Jackson is great, but a bit of a hike to the parks. It's all good of course, but you could consider splitting up a bit and do a couple of nights in Jackson, a couple in the Tetons (there are some nice lodges on the lakes there!), and then a couple of days in the south side of the park (Old Faithful Lodge is awesome if you can do it, or one of the places around the Tetons), a couple of days on the Northwest side (West Yellowstone has some good lodging options) and a day on the Northeast side in Cook City MT. It will avoid you some driving (can be quite trafficky in the summer). Just some ideas - you really can't go wrong, that area is just amazing. 

Try it in the winter some time too... It's a weenie dream lol

Kind of locked into Jackson for family reasons (we're going for a wedding and that's where everyone will be). I hadn't thought about splitting our Yellowstone time between areas of the park, but that certainly could be done (and honestly may help defray some of the cost). 

I've got a pretty good list going of potential hikes/sights to see., but some stuff is going to have to get cut just because of time. I feel like I could spend weeks in either place already.

Did y'all see those articles in the news about how some of the geysers of YS are belching out garbage dating back to the 1960s ... ?

Just imagine ... in a vast universe, so vast that probabilities yield realities that defy the imagination, there is an interstellar technologically of advanced, exploratory species that is setting foot down on a planet where there is no evidence of an advance species. Yet ... that's all they find. In geysers, coming out of the planet's insides.  And islands of refuse matting the seas. And they wonder where the progenitors went

Solid snowpack here in the valley.  Have enjoyed looking at this scene for a while now.  It's been cleared for the dog to play and move around in...  I've been so impressed with the total liquid as this is some dense snow. 

And there's about 4" of total clear ice as a base layer over the grass, and that grass hasn't been seen since November 12th.  This level of ice on the ground would support people out on a deep pond.

ViPkzAz.jpg

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Solid snowpack here in the valley.  Have enjoyed looking at this scene for a while now.  It's been cleared for the dog to play and move around in...  I've been so impressed with the total liquid as this is some dense snow. 

And there's about 4" of total clear ice as a base layer over the grass, and that grass hasn't been seen since November 12th.  This level of ice on the ground would support people out on a deep pond.

In spite of so many mixed events it's been a good winter for snowpack. Haven't seen grass since November. The area of my yard in the picture is by far the least snowpack (very exposed to the wind) and you can still see decent depth from the picnic table, the completely buried firepit and even the Xmas tree which is in a large pot. In the woods it's far deeper. 

A6B54D69-D3E4-40A6-935D-2E59DC4F03F7.jpeg

• Like 1

On February 17, 2019 at 3:37 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

Did y'all see those articles in the news about how some of the geysers of YS are belching out garbage dating back to the 1960s ... ?

Just imagine ... in a vast universe, so vast that probabilities yield realities that defy the imagination, there is an interstellar technologically of advanced, exploratory species that is setting foot down on a planet where there is no evidence of an advance species. Yet ... that's all they find. In geysers, coming out of the planet's insides.  And islands of refuse matting the seas. And they wonder where the progenitors went

The odds of a civilization that advanced coexisting in our galaxy is vanishingly small. We should be able to detect their radio signals. And it would take millions of years for visitors from neighboring galaxies to visit us. Most likely outcome is no one will ever know we existed before our dying sun swells and gobbles up our planet in a billion years or so. Our planet is no more significant in the grand scheme of things than a single quark is to our body. And yet, as the only known place to harbor life, one could also argue it's impossibly rare and significant.  

On 2/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Can you guys take @BombsAway1288 back please?  Thanks

I responded to a comment by one of your posters with   "Yeah, less qpf and warmer if anything from yesterday. NWS is going to bust hard with that ridiculously overzealous map they started way too high with. Good rule of thumb, especially in these CAD/marginal temp situations is to start low and take em up the closer you get as need be. Not the other way around as the public now has the wrong idea in their heads. :facepalm:"   and I got attacked by everyone.

I even left a good luck message in the storm mode thread last night. I was just trying to remind everyone of the north trend/faster ML warmth in these storms this year because some people were going bonkers with the silly snow maps and LWX numbers.  You guys are brutal. I was rooting for DC to get 6" being the last 3 years have been crap down there but now I hope you get 1"-3" that just washes and melts away the next day anyway.

47 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I responded to a comment by one of your posters with   "Yeah, less qpf and warmer if anything from yesterday. NWS is going to bust hard with that ridiculously overzealous map they started way too high with. Good rule of thumb, especially in these CAD/marginal temp situations is to start low and take em up the closer you get as need be. Not the other way around as the public now has the wrong idea in their heads. :facepalm:"   and I got attacked by everyone.

I even left a good luck message in the storm mode thread last night. I was just trying to remind everyone of the north trend/faster ML warmth in these storms this year because some people were going bonkers with the silly snow maps and LWX numbers.  You guys are brutal. I was rooting for DC to get 6" being the last 3 years have been crap down there but now I hope you get 1"-3" that just washes and melts away the next day anyway.

I don’t recall you posting in the New England threads much before...

20 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I'm a June 2017 transplant from Northern NJ where I grew up for a career change. Went to college at UMass-Amherst from 2007-2011 also

Another NNJ transplant!  Though we got here 44+ years earlier so I could attend U. Maine.  We came from northern Morris County in the well-forested Jersey Highlands, where snowfall ran about 40"/year (and 50-60 in the 1960s.)

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Another NNJ transplant!  Though we got here 44+ years earlier so I could attend U. Maine.  We came from northern Morris County in the well-forested Jersey Highlands, where snowfall ran about 40"/year (and 50-60 in the 1960s.)

Ahhh yes the Highlands. Beautiful area ans one of the best places there for storms as it's close enough to the coast for the moisture but not too far inland. I would only say that Northern Sussex and Passaic Counties (West Milford) are better for snow but only because of elevation. Sadly, I'm from Northeastern Bergen County so marginal events weren't my favorite. Averaged about 30-35/yr when I grew up there

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Congrats GYX, 214 kt observed wind on the sounding tonight.

Other area soundings, CHH 208, OKX 187, and ALB 211 

I was checking out flightradar24.com before and flights east to Europe are hauling. Some 750+ ground speeds.  Also, noticed most of the NYC Europe flights are flying out east well south of Long Island instead of their normal routes. I guess to take advantage of the insane tailwinds? 

9 hours ago, BrianW said:

I was checking out flightradar24.com before and flights east to Europe are hauling. Some 750+ ground speeds.  Also, noticed most of the NYC Europe flights are flying out east well south of Long Island instead of their normal routes. I guess to take advantage of the insane tailwinds? 

Yes, in fact even the flights coming from the West Coast going to Europe were flying over PA and south of LI instead their normal route which basically goes up into Northern Central Canada and over the arctic. That's some detour to take advantage of the jetstreak. Numbers must have been like some pilots have ever seen