Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

drugs haven't worn off yet

Friday night I was at a charity event in Chicago. We were shucking oysters for the cystic fibrosis Foundation. As part of the deal they offered me a culinary student from one of the local colleges to shuck oysters. She showed up completely empty-handed so I gave her my knife and glove. About two hours into the event I had had several cocktails and was shocking oysters without a glove on with a really sharp knife. Someone startled me and I slammed the knife into my thumb severing the tendons in my thumb. At the Museum where they were holding the event they had a first aid kit and I was able to stop the bleeding. The next morning I flew to Boston but I was going to a concert with my brother in Portland Maine so I drove straight to Maine. On the way there I stopped at an emergency room. They told me there was nothing more they could do and I needed to see a hand doctor immediately. Monday morning ended up at a hand Doctor Who said we need to operate as soon as possible so you don't lose all feeling in your thumb as I had severed several nerves. Had surgery today to put my hand back together. That was all talk to text if it doesn't make sense

15 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

We're facebook friends and it popped up on my feed. And he's perhaps one of the funniest fb posters I know. Figured it would be nice if people sent him some good wishes

I agree.  I wish him all the best.

I had no clue who you were talking about, in your initial post, hence my question.

13 hours ago, amarshall said:

Friday night I was at a charity event in Chicago. We were shucking oysters for the cystic fibrosis Foundation. As part of the deal they offered me a culinary student from one of the local colleges to shuck oysters. She showed up completely empty-handed so I gave her my knife and glove. About two hours into the event I had had several cocktails and was shocking oysters without a glove on with a really sharp knife. Someone startled me and I slammed the knife into my thumb severing the tendons in my thumb. At the Museum where they were holding the event they had a first aid kit and I was able to stop the bleeding. The next morning I flew to Boston but I was going to a concert with my brother in Portland Maine so I drove straight to Maine. On the way there I stopped at an emergency room. They told me there was nothing more they could do and I needed to see a hand doctor immediately. Monday morning ended up at a hand Doctor Who said we need to operate as soon as possible so you don't lose all feeling in your thumb as I had severed several nerves. Had surgery today to put my hand back together. That was all talk to text if it doesn't make sense

Andrew, good luck.  Always have enjoyed your sense of humor

1 hour ago, TheCloser24 said:

6 year anniversary today of one of the greatest blizzards in New England history - Blizzard of 2013. Widespread 2 to 3 ft of snow with gale to storm force winds from CT to ME.

Best storm of all time for me. Presidents days blizzard is what started my weather hobby,  but Nemo was the most memorable. Just epic.

14 hours ago, amarshall said:

Damn. That really shucks.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, amarshall said:

Exactly what my wife did only with chicken, if you don't reattach the nerves right away they can't do it, good thing you went to the emergency room. When my wife went to the hospital when it happened they stitched it up and said that's all they can do, the next day she said she couldn't move her thumb so I brought her to a hand doctor the next morning and they did the surgery the next day. Hope everything goes well for you.

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wind is roaring. Tomorrow looks really windy too.

Just had a good gust here.   43mph on the old VP2 and 39mph on the new VP2.  Anemometers are probably about 5 feet from each other.  I was outside washing the truck when that gust came through.  It's interesting how strong a 40mph gust is,   I would have guessed more listening to the roar in the trees.