Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I do and right here in CT. 

I started working there in April (was supposed to be an internship, but since they didn't have a meteorologist on staff it didn't qualify as an internship). I really enjoy it b/c it involves forecasting across the country and I've gained a ton of experience with weather outside of CT. 

Nice Wizzy. Where is the job?

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I started working there in April (was supposed to be an internship, but since they didn't have a meteorologist on staff it didn't qualify as an internship). I really enjoy it b/c it involves forecasting across the country and I've gained a ton of experience with weather outside of CT. 

nice, Wiz--congrats!

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nice Wizzy. Where is the job?

It's down in Branford right off 54. Called PeriShip. Not a bad area. It's a nice drive too from West Hartford, but it's brutal from Danbury. Luckily while I've been in school I work remotely and just go in on Friday, but once school is done I'll go in every day. I think in a few years or so I will look to move down that way (though not along the coast b/c t'storm death zone) but was thinking Hamden...nice jackpot for snow and severe

2 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

nice, Wiz--congrats!

Thank you. 

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's down in Branford right off 54. Called PeriShip. Not a bad area. It's a nice drive too from West Hartford, but it's brutal from Danbury. Luckily while I've been in school I work remotely and just go in on Friday, but once school is done I'll go in every day. I think in a few years or so I will look to move down that way (though not along the coast b/c t'storm death zone) but was thinking Hamden...nice jackpot for snow and severe

Thank you. 

Don't do it. Hamden has some very nice areas, but this town is a fiscal crisis within a fiscal crisis and the taxes are absurd relative to neighboring towns. North Haven or Wallingford are better options for taxes, snow and severe. Congrats on the gig btw!

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Well done dude... you've always wanted to be a met from your time on the boards going way back.  Great to see it happening for ya.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Don't do it. Hamden has some very nice areas, but this town is a fiscal crisis within a fiscal crisis and the taxes are absurd relative to neighboring towns. North Haven or Wallingford are better options for taxes, snow and severe. Congrats on the gig btw!

And I thought NH didn't have a state tax. ;)

• Haha 1

I scheduled myself my 6months dentist appointment and my yearly physical less than a week apart...apparently i subconsciously enjoy torturing myself. My blood work came back relatively great, my D3 is elevated. Im not taking any special supplements, only a multi vitamin so it was suggested i take it every other day instead of every day...

But somewhere between last years bloodwork and this years, my thyroid broke :(

im really not a big fan of taking pills, but this is something that can't fix itself...so for the first time in my life im on a longterm pill...kinda sad it has come to this...

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

I scheduled myself my 6months dentist appointment and my yearly physical less than a week apart...apparently i subconsciously enjoy torturing myself. My blood work came back relatively great, my D3 is elevated. Im not taking any special supplements, only a multi vitamin so it was suggested i take it every other day instead of every day...

im really not a big fan of taking pills, but this is something that can't fix itself...so for the first time in my life im on a longterm pill...kinda sad it has come to this...

I seem to have a cholesterol issue despite not having a bad diet. Family hereditary FTL.  I'm trying to not take a pill and further reduce it through exercise and diet. Will see how this goes. On the other hand, I don't want to fall over and die, so there's that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

:hug:

Sorry about your not so good thyroid.  If it's any consolation, I take 5 pills a day.  2 for my Chronic Leukemia and 3 for my High Blood Pressure.  I also take a multi-vitamin and a long-term inhaler for asthma. :oldman:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

:hug:

Sorry about your not so good thyroid.  If it's any consolation, I take 5 pills a day.  2 for my Chronic Leukemia and 3 for my High Blood Pressure.  I also take a multi-vitamin and a long-term inhaler for asthma. :oldman:

How is everything going with that? 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

How is everything going with that? 

Steady as she goes.  Test results continue to sow nothing.  My last appointment was in March and they pushed out my follow-up appointment to 1yr, from 6mo, since I'm doing well.  It'll be 10 years this March since I was diagnosed. :stun:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Steady as she goes.  Test results continue to sow nothing.  My last appointment was in March and they pushed out my follow-up appointment to 1yr, from 6mo, since I'm doing well.  It'll be 10 years this March since I was diagnosed. :stun:

Good news man. Glad to hear.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That's great news! Good to hear that

My blood pressure was fine, cholesterol was elevated, but the doctor said my bad cholesterol is low and it's the good cholesterol that's elevated, so not to worry about it...Scott, I was told if I cut back on the starchy carbs, it would help keep my bad cholesterol numbers in the good range. Maybe that could help you? Liver enzymes were great. Vitamin levels were great except for D3. I guess too much Vitamin D will actually pull calcium out of your bones, which I was not aware of.

22 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

My blood pressure was fine, cholesterol was elevated, but the doctor said my bad cholesterol is low and it's the good cholesterol that's elevated, so not to worry about it...Scott, I was told if I cut back on the starchy carbs, it would help keep my bad cholesterol numbers in the good range. Maybe that could help you? Liver enzymes were great. Vitamin levels were great except for D3. I guess too much Vitamin D will actually pull calcium out of your bones, which I was not aware of.

Do some digging around on thepaleomom.com

She has a lot of stuff on diet for autoimmune conditions including all of the thyroid related ones. I'm not convinced your thyroid is permanently broken. Make sure you're getting some seafood and maybe even consider some seaweed veggies (kelp or those dulce flakes). Iodine, zinc, and selenium are important for thyroid function. I used to take a multi too, but I'm not a fan anymore. Just try to get all of your nutrients from food since they tend to have other cofactors naturally with them that help to increase absorption. I don't like the Frankenstein levels of certain vitains and mineral in multis and you just piss a lot of them away anyway.

And yeah....I'd limit the gluten, sugar, and starchy carbs for awhile. What's your diagnosis? Hypo? Hashimoto's?

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Find out what your LDL-P (particle number) is.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Find out what your LDL-P (particle number) is.

Everything with the VA is so much more difficult...jumping through all their hoops is tiresome and frustrating...but beggars cant be choosers and im glad i atleast have something. I should be able to access everything online now, took forever to clear that up. Next time I log in, I will check all my labs. 

Wintry morning. 

Cold and snowing.  About an inch of currier and Ives fluff on the car.  Driving to Morrisville to get tires, went through a couple very narrow bands of moderate to even heavy snow that lasted all of a half mile to mile each.  Very localized and varied from one spot to the next.