Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s horrendous. My mom was in a similar position. 25+ years of service and they were sending people out the door, luckily she got out with some sort of package. Awful way to treat people. Take take take and then kick to the curb when done taking.

good luck. My mom is in her mid 50s and she’s was able to successfully navigate it and find a job she likes more than the prior. It can be done.

Many years ago when I was a regional forest manager in the private sector, I was sort of in the opposite part of that situation.  An older employee was frequently sleeping on the job or hungover, or both.  My supervisor and I agreed that this fellow needed to be let go, and it was my job to break the news - thru a translator because he knew no English and I knew very little French.  (He was Canadian, living on the border town of St.-Pamphile, PQ.)  His reaction, via translator, was something like, "You use us up and kick us out!"  Given at least the partial truth of that, next day I called my supervisor and asked if we couldn't do something better.  Thru some front-office research and action, the fellow ended up with a nice disability benefit and was very grateful.  One can do things like that in a small outfit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Many years ago when I was a regional forest manager in the private sector, I was sort of in the opposite part of that situation.  An older employee was frequently sleeping on the job or hungover, or both.  My supervisor and I agreed that this fellow needed to be let go, and it was my job to break the news - thru a translator because he knew no English and I knew very little French.  (He was Canadian, living on the border town of St.-Pamphile, PQ.)  His reaction, via translator, was something like, "You use us up and kick us out!"  Given at least the partial truth of that, next day I called my supervisor and asked if we couldn't do something better.  Thru some front-office research and action, the fellow ended up with a nice disability benefit and was very grateful.  One can do things like that in a small outfit.

Good on you for that. You never know what’s  going on. A lot of time people are run down from the very job, and letting them go compounds the problem. 

At minimum, it’s a lack of common decency and gratefulness for a lifetime of work service, and at worst, it’s just downright malicious and unethical.

I know business is business, but we can do better as a whole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Damn Steve....that's a shit sandwich. Best of luck in finding something else....I'm sure you will. If you make it to the GTG...a couple are on me.

Nice guy Will, appreciate the thoughts and yes I will be there around 1, have to leave around 5 to go to our already paid for season tickets to a NE Blackwolves pro lacrosse game 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Steve-O, I hope you have good luck finding something suitable. You’re a pretty sharp dude, so I hope that the search goes as best as it can. Here’s to heavy snow.

Thanks man I am reassessing and applying to a lot of jobs that fit very well with my experience.  I have options for now but not confident folks will hire someone my age.

• Like 2

One good thing about where tech has gone is that working remote is totally productive.  Some work you can't do off site but in my field and many others it isn't where you work it's how you work and if I find somebody that is good I don't care where they are.  Hopefully you can cast a very wide net.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Best wishes Steve.  Its s hard cold world out there at times but what goes around comes around.  Smart, hardworking and honest  people like you adapt and do well with whatever challenges are presented.  I'm sure your next endeavor will be successful.  

Thanks bro

2 hours ago, Tom12309 said:

One good thing about where tech has gone is that working remote is totally productive.  Some work you can't do off site but in my field and many others it isn't where you work it's how you work and if I find somebody that is good I don't care where they are.  Hopefully you can cast a very wide net.  

What is your field ?

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Pretty clear to see the have's and have nots on today GOES image

have.jpg

I know SNE has struggled, but ALB has been screwed too, evident by that map. Every event they are either downsloping or its an elevation event and they are screwed that way too. Think they are round 10"-12" maybe?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

If she could talk I wonder what she'd tell you :(  But her actions speak louder than any words could.  She's lucky to have you now.

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks man I am reassessing and applying to a lot of jobs that fit very well with my experience.  I have options for now but not confident folks will hire someone my age.

If they know what's good for them they will, people like you are like a fine wine, they only get better with age!

Mainframe sysprog is the field but pretty much any architecture is lights out these days.  One call I'm in Schenectady, network tech in Nashville, Linux guy is in Argyle NY, app guy's in California, machines in Ohio and Illinois.

And yes, ALB gets screwed every which way.  Coastals miss wide right, clippers are north and cutters are direct hits.  Marginal air mass or warm south flow and the Hudson Valley does its dirty work.  

A couple glorious years we had storm after storm tracking from the direction of Binghamton right through here and it snowed well but that stopped.

50 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Mainframe sysprog is the field but pretty much any architecture is lights out these days.  One call I'm in Schenectady, network tech in Nashville, Linux guy is in Argyle NY, app guy's in California, machines in Ohio and Illinois.

And yes, ALB gets screwed every which way.  Coastals miss wide right, clippers are north and cutters are direct hits.  Marginal air mass or warm south flow and the Hudson Valley does its dirty work.  

A couple glorious years we had storm after storm tracking from the direction of Binghamton right through here and it snowed well but that stopped.

Lol about Alb .

It makes sense for IT guys to work from home.