Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks.  Hopefully Wormtown's resurgence will make this a good investment to boot.

Yeah on the small property, only .5 acre.  I just commented in the other thread that I may find myself a weekend lawn-warrior, needing to keep things looking tidy.  

Congrats Mike look forward to the death band pics

• Haha 1

Im feeling sorry for myself. My Guinea Pig was having trouble eating so I took him to the vet last night. They needed to do xrays to check for dental disease. But, 2 emergencies came in that took priority. One was a mom and her two young girls with their Guinea Pig who needed to go the rainbow bridge. I had to go back to the vet today with my piggie, Satan. He was sedated and xrays taken. He had a mouth ulcer and some sharp molars so they got filed. The sedation was hard on him. And when I was leaving the vet a young distraught couple was bringing in their old old lab so he could go to the rainbow bridge. God, that just makes my heart hurt. And Satan isn't doing the best right now, I gave him pain meds and he wants to eat, but he is just too sore. He looks miserable. He finally curled up in his cuddle sack. I hope he aleeps well and feels better when he wakes up.

I wish I had snow :(

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Im feeling sorry for myself. My Guinea Pig was having trouble eating so I took him to the vet last night. They needed to do xrays to check for dental disease. But, 2 emergencies came in that took priority. One was a mom and her two young girls with their Guinea Pig who needed to go the rainbow bridge. I had to go back to the vet today with my piggie, Satan. He was sedated and xrays taken. He had a mouth ulcer and some sharp molars so they got filed. The sedation was hard on him. And when I was leaving the vet a young distraught couple was bringing in their old old lab so he could go to the rainbow bridge. God, that just makes my heart hurt. And Satan isn't doing the best right now, I gave him pain meds and he wants to eat, but he is just too sore. He looks miserable. He finally curled up in his cuddle sack. I hope he aleeps well and feels better when he wakes up.

Best wishes to your piggy. You can have my snow. My birds would appreciate it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Ugh. I hope all goes well for Satan. As has been said many times, pets are truly a part of our families and when they suffer it is heart wrenching. Hopefully you get a little snow to brighten your world a little. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Sweet Satan hope he gets better.  Yea my wife interned at a vet recently,  she had a bunch of last minutes with animals.  Tell ya this from her war stories , people fukin suck

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sweet Satan hope he gets better.  Yea my wife interned at a vet recently,  she had a bunch of last minutes with animals.  Tell ya this from her war stories , people fukin suck

I used to work at an animal rescue, some people really like to take out their miserable lives on those who cant fight back, it's really sad.  Some of the animals we had actually developed PTSD because of how they'd been treated and you could see the fear in their eyes and see them recoil when a human approached.

You see the same kinds of things with baby animals whose parents got poached.  I'll never forget this one documentary I saw where a baby elephant was having nightmares and crying in her sleep after her parents had been killed.

And then you see a documentary where dolphins are helping people who are drowning and wish more people were like that.

• Like 1

Satan is doing better. He is drinking without assistance so that is a relief. He is due for another round of pain meds soon. He is eating, very carefully, but he is eating. Im developing my chef Ramsay skillz attempting to see how finely I can chop up a carrot. I havent lost any fingers...yet..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Wow Steve--I'm sorry.  What happened?

Restructuring, eliminated my Director position 25 years, the Research Directors position 35 yrs and my employee 25 yrs. 85 yrs of combined service.  Tough being thrown out to pasture at 62 years old.  Thank god my wife has insurance. On the job hunt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Satan is doing better. He is drinking without assistance so that is a relief. He is due for another round of pain meds soon. He is eating, very carefully, but he is eating. Im developing my chef Ramsay skillz attempting to see how finely I can chop up a carrot. I havent lost any fingers...yet..

Show him these and when he gets better hopefully he'll be able to do these things too!

• Haha 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Restructuring, eliminated my Director position 25 years, the Research Directors position 35 yrs and my employee 25 yrs. 85 yrs of combined service.  Tough being thrown out to pasture at 62 years old.  Thank god my wife has insurance. On the job hunt.

Sorry Steve :(  I hope the job hunt treats you well.  It sucks to have that happen at 62, did they offer some sort of retirement package?

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I used to work at an animal rescue, some people really like to take out their miserable lives on those who cant fight back, it's really sad.  Some of the animals we had actually developed PTSD because of how they'd been treated and you could see the fear in their eyes and see them recoil when a human approached.

You see the same kinds of things with baby animals whose parents got poached.  I'll never forget this one documentary I saw where a baby elephant was having nightmares and crying in her sleep after her parents had been killed.

And then you see a documentary where dolphins are helping people who are drowning and wish more people were like that.

We are part of a rescue group, my wife is on the Board of directors.  I  have 8 of those animals you describe. We have brought them back to being happy dogs again. We also foster and deal with every situation imaginable. We have successfully adopted out 67 dogs in 4 years. The rescue over 2000. My wife is headed to Virginia next weekend to get a Mom and 4, 2 week old pups from a kill shelter. They were scheduled to be euthanized next week but we stepped in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We are part of a rescue group, my wife is on the Board of directors.  I  have 8 of those animals you describe. We have brought them back to being happy dogs again. We also foster and deal with every situation imaginable. We have successfully adopted out 67 dogs in 4 years. The rescue over 2000. My wife is headed to Virginia next weekend to get a Mom and 4, 2 week old pups from a kill shelter. They were scheduled to be euthanized next week but we stepped in.

Wow thats amazing, Steve, it takes a special kind of heart to do that it's very tough on the caretakers as well as the animals.  The sad part is we have all these crowded shelters because people get pets as gifts for their birthday or Christmas or whatever and they really dont know how to raise them and then they end up in shelters.  Or they dont spay/neuter their pets and they have babies and the babies end up with people who shouldn't have animals or they end up at a shelter.

We also had animals that people who never should have had animals in the first place (like drug dealers) had them as "guard" dogs and they were in the worst conditions, half starved because their "owners" were trying to train them to be vicious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Early next month it will be 2 years since we got our rescue dog thru New England Lab rescue - she's a yellow Lab mix, looks like pics of a "Dudley Lab."  When she arrived, she was extremely scrawny and would flinch badly if one moved one's hand near her head - obviously had been struck repeatedly in her first life.   Now the flinch is gone, she's a goofy and very affectionate (and a bit chubby) friend, but one thing hasn't changed - a morbid fear of getting into the car.  We have to lift her 50 lb in, and once there she quivers and salivates.  Last winter, when I re-inventoried our woodlot, I'd hoist her into the pickup cab, drive 200 yards, and then she and I would have several hours in the woods, which she loves.  I hoped that might get her to associate motor vehicles with fun times, as compared to whatever horrible experiences caused the fear.  Has not worked at all. - still has PTSD for cars.   :(

We've had two lab rescues.  Our first was a big boy, rather agressive.  Some firm love smoothed out that agression and he lived 15 mostly happy years with us.

Our current girl is a lab/great dane mix.  Long and lean and a snow loving gentle girl.  She would lay down her life for my kids I think.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We've had two lab rescues.  Our first was a big boy, rather agressive.  Some firm love smoothed out that agression and he lived 15 mostly happy years with us.

Our current girl is a lab/great dane mix.  Long and lean and a snow loving gentle girl.  She would lay down her life for my kids I think.

Sorry humans....DOGS are better then people.(good for you regarding rescues....)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That’s horrendous. My mom was in a similar position. 25+ years of service and they were sending people out the door, luckily she got out with some sort of package. Awful way to treat people. Take take take and then kick to the curb when done taking.

good luck. My mom is in her mid 50s and she’s was able to successfully navigate it and find a job she likes more than the prior. It can be done.

• Like 1