Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

How is the cold weather performance? I haven't really experienced any real cold yet but they claim to run down to -13. Fujitsu and Mitsubishi seem to be the leaders in reliability and efficiency.

It was fine when I was up there in November.  We didn't' have any sub-zero nights when I was there but it was fine in single digits.

As far as summer goes, I just open the windows so not a whole big need for cooling.

Just now, Spanks45 said:

I thought that as well, but always assumed graupel was white in nature. These were small ice pellets...

May be a bit of a hybrid, but squalls are convective in nature. Maybe the hydrometer is almost totally melting in a warmer layer before being thrown back into a subfreezing portion of the cloud.

My friend said it’s 33 and snowing with the ground coated in Whitman. 
Ground was coated here too, but very little, if any of it was snow. Temp held at about 38 or 37 for the whole event. Was fun watching the pellets roll down the roof. Should have gotten some video.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Snowy day in the upslope region.  Near blizzard conditions at times above 1,200ft.  

Found 4-5" of fake but real looking snow in the parking lots at the end of the day.  

About half that amount fell at home it looks like, eyeballing a couple inches or so.  Roads snowpacked and with -SN still falling (plus a lot of blowing and drifting) it feels like a stormy night.  

IMG_1797.thumb.JPG.f45f9a91d0a2eb1e54060d37f92fb1b6.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snowy day in the upslope region.  Near blizzard conditions at times above 1,200ft.  

Found 4-5" of fake but real looking snow in the parking lots at the end of the day.  

About half that amount fell at home it looks like, eyeballing a couple inches or so.  Roads snowpacked and with -SN still falling (plus a lot of blowing and drifting) it feels like a stormy night.  

IMG_1797.thumb.JPG.f45f9a91d0a2eb1e54060d37f92fb1b6.JPG

so envy............. 

• Like 1

Missed out on any squalls today but it's blowing good out there. Seems every bit as windy as when we had that high wind warning up not long ago. I've always been curious as why those warnings bust so much...what's the criteria again for High Wind Warning? Sustained at 40 with gusts to 58 if I remember correct? We never seem to hit that when issued a warning, at least in my location.