Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

27 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Mid-70s in NYC. Talk about a blown forecast. Even this morning's OKX forecast only had mid-60s for a high. A 10 degree bust on a 12 hour forecast.

Highest I saw on the hourly obs was 71 - mids must have been hit in between.  And this was a high bust-potential set-up, trying to figure exactly how many hours of sun vs. clouds.  Miss by 2 hours and 6°+ change in result.

Weather has been miserable in England this week, but at least the football has been good. Got a little break today and took the train from Manchester to Edale in the Peak District for a hike. Thought there might be some snow on the peaks, but instead there were daffodils at the pub. Fabulous place. 9c2490b97d63e0fa03867d5d9235b627.jpg9a114658e9da9fb134d8f76dbe41b5d7.jpga9ba0904198bfd760a086e7e43145d00.jpg09ce6116b1fb6b273790246232b3bdd2.jpgd4d4ee08ab66374934618b959df948b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Weather has been miserable in England this week, but at least the football has been good. Got a little break today and took the train from Manchester to Edale in the Peak District for a hike. Thought there might be some snow on the peaks, but instead there were daffodils at the pub. Fabulous place.

I'm guessing that real mild spell a couple weeks back really helped the early bloomers.

21 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

He got a 12” storm and near normal climo. I’d hate to see what the 80s would be when they return. 

Meh, you literally Debbied your way to two consecutive jackpots lol

im sorry, but one 12” storm and a 6” storm in the margins of winter don’t do it for me on a grading scale. Met winter was literally about as bad as it gets here.

im still below climo. Being average would be a C grade to start, but I’m not even there. Factoring in the rain, bitter cold after rain, and general lack of winter like weather in the heart of winter, it’s a D and that’s probably being generous.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Meh, you literally Debbied your way to two consecutive jackpots lol

im sorry, but one 12” storm and a 6” storm in the margins of winter don’t do it for me on a grading scale. Met winter was literally about as bad as it gets here.

im still below climo. Being average would be a C grade to start, but I’m not even there. Factoring in the rain, bitter cold after rain, and general lack of winter like weather in the heart of winter, it’s a D and that’s probably being generous.

You are near 40”. Most winters do not feature a 12” storm. You’ve been spoiled. And what two jackpots?

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

Actually it's a better record than I've had here where the average winter brings 90".  Six of 20 winters, all the Ds and Fs in my above post, failed to bring a 12"+ event, and this year will need a late rally to avoid being #7.  (Note:  Both 10-11 and 12-13 hit the mark at equinox time or later, so not impossible.)  Longest streak of winters with a foot-plus is 3, done twice - 02-03 to 04-05 and 06-07 to 08-09 (so a 6-of-7 run, broken by my only winter w/o even a 6" storm since 67-68 in NNJ.)

The cold sucked this winter. It was brutal.

Didn't find it that way here.  Sure it was BN - last AN month was Sept, but really brutal cold was rare and generally lasted no more than 3 days.  T-Day was a shock, roaring winds on my coldest November day by far, in my coldest and snowiest Nov.  (That T-Day max of 11 is a degree colder than my lowest max in 9 Fort Kent Novembers.)  However, winter bottomed out at -20, just barely making the 17th of 21 touching that mark.  Coldest daily max was 6°, on both 20 and 21, Jan, and both days had subzero daylight hours spoiled by early and/or late highs.

Really interesting that I surpass you in the most consecutive winters with a 12" storm category, although I would love to have your annual snowfall average. Nothing like a long lasting snow pack either.

You got a bit unlucky with some of those missing winters for you, especially winter of 09-10 with the suppression depression thanks to a record -NAO block