Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, White Rain said:

I have a hard time giving this winter an F despite how rainy and snowless it was during the core winter months. We had a couple of warning events and sustained snow cover for periods, including in November, which helped to stretch out the season. I could easily call it a D, The C- might be generous, but I don't think its an F personally.

Got off to a great start. A for November.  Dec and Jan were low Fs...Feb was a D+ and March was a C+.   Overall...F...almost a D

just my hood and my interpretation.  I can see why others felt otherwise

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ginx, you were right. 2015-16 I had much less snow. According to KevinWs table I on,y had 30” or so...for some reason I thought I had more.

i don’t recall that being as wretched a winter though...have to look back

That season was like 2011-12...you knew it had no chance.  Looking at even the far northern mountains seeing grass for Christmas and never really recovering, it seemed like 2015-16 was destined to misery.  If it snowed you felt lucky.  This season was different.  I think that goes a long way into the vibe of a winter.  Especially being closer to the interior NNE goods but yet were still not far enough NW...I'd think the same way as you.  Then to get missed by a biggie to the south, it's all understandable. 

Add to it that posters and long range thoughts on her were being touted as a slam dunk for a really big period.  I mean, February was supposed to be huge on many outlooks and musings early in the season.  The constant, wait for it, it's coming type banter probably adds to the sting when nothing really ends up materializing during that period.

D here.  10" below climo barring a late miracle.  Long stretches in the heart of winter with no pack and rain.  Early and late season storms and snow pack kept it from an F but it's close.  7.5 inches as my largest snowfall sucks pretty bad.  Even the one good late season storm slipped a bit to far SE for good banding here.  Annoying snow to  sleet /zr to rain and refreezing and slipping/falling on my ass and hacking away at ice.  Pure snowfalls were hard to come by.  Nice pics there in Weymouth. Cover is down to 30/40 percent or so around my yard after today. 

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That storm was after thanksgiving? I thought December. Is that the one that gave 12-18 prior to upslope? I remember even adjacent Monroe MA I think had 18”. Nothing much just south. 

Yes, there was a SWFE redeveloper on 11/26-27 that produced a very heavy wet snow in the higher elevations with about 13-14" here. Then we had 10" of upslope over the course of a day and half, it didn't end until late on the 28th. There were many power outages above 1K here in VT and I was out for ~36 hours. Fortunately, I've since had backup installed.

10 hours ago, White Rain said:

I have a hard time giving this winter an F despite how rainy and snowless it was during the core winter months. We had a couple of warning events and sustained snow cover for periods, including in November, which helped to stretch out the season. I could easily call it a D, The C- might be generous, but I don't think its an F personally.

For me it's been a B-.  Continuous cold with some warm shots, ice on the ponds for like 2 months straight...and good cover the last few weeks.  Enough to buzz around the woods on a skimobile near my house. Ir could have been a B+ if one of those icing events became heavy and somewhat damaging.  

If this month and next finish at C-level, it's a C+.  If March could haul up to B/B+ (would take at least doubling my current 10.2", and no serious thaws after tomorrow so we finish at least 5° BN) I'd give a B+, thanks mainly to length and breadth of pack.  My 20 full winters here break down thusly (chronologically within grade levels):
A/A-:  00-01, 07-08
B/B+: 08-09, 13-14, 16-17
B-:  02-03, 04-05, 06-07, 14-15, 17-18
C+:  03-04, 10-11,
C-:  98-99, 12-13
D,D-,D+:  99-00, 01-02, 11-12
F,F+:  05-06, 09-10, 15-16

14 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Yeah that's very unusual for up there, obviously. On a selfish note, last weeks storm that gave me 12.4", continuing my personal streak (between living in Boston and NNJ) of now 7 straight Winter's with at least one snowstorm of at least a foot. Winter 2011-2012 was my last shutout of a 12 incher. Before that clunker of a year I had at least one 12" storm every Winter since the real clunker of a Winter in NNJ in 2006-2007. That was 4 years in a row. Before that, it was 2001-2002 for another 4 consecutive years.

So 15 out of the last 18 Winter's have featured a snowstorm for me of at least a foot. That to me is remarkable! It might not sound like a lot or even that amazing to you guys in NNE or really SNE for that matter but I think it's pretty cool and quite the statistical anomaly (signs of more juiced up systems?).

Last quick note, this was the first Winter in at least the last 4 or 5 consecutive Winter's (I can't remember exactly) that I was not under a Blizzard Warning at any point. It seemed like it was a guarantee every year there for a while. And I'm talking about just having a Blizzard Warning issued for me at some point, not whether it verified or not, of which, I think less than half actually verified.

As many have said on here, it's been an amazing run for everyone basically Northeast of Trenton, NJ, especially and more so for SNE.  Regression is due/overdue.

Actually it's a better record than I've had here where the average winter brings 90".  Six of 20 winters, all the Ds and Fs in my above post, failed to bring a 12"+ event, and this year will need a late rally to avoid being #7.  (Note:  Both 10-11 and 12-13 hit the mark at equinox time or later, so not impossible.)  Longest streak of winters with a foot-plus is 3, done twice - 02-03 to 04-05 and 06-07 to 08-09 (so a 6-of-7 run, broken by my only winter w/o even a 6" storm since 67-68 in NNJ.)

The cold sucked this winter. It was brutal.

Didn't find it that way here.  Sure it was BN - last AN month was Sept, but really brutal cold was rare and generally lasted no more than 3 days.  T-Day was a shock, roaring winds on my coldest November day by far, in my coldest and snowiest Nov.  (That T-Day max of 11 is a degree colder than my lowest max in 9 Fort Kent Novembers.)  However, winter bottomed out at -20, just barely making the 17th of 21 touching that mark.  Coldest daily max was 6°, on both 20 and 21, Jan, and both days had subzero daylight hours spoiled by early and/or late highs.